TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Newsroom 7/21/2013

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  teknikel 
#1 ·
Much better this week. I feel like I have to watch this show in total silence to get the dialog. Headphones help, too. Which means I'll be watching it, like I did this one, after midnight when everyone else in the house is asleep.

I still didn't hear all the dialog in the scene with Lisa. There was one line she said that I didn't hear after trying three times.

Will screaming at the cop was a bit much. As was MacKenzie throwing a drink at Will for some not very well explained reason.

But the major plot points of Genoa and Maggie in Africa seem to be moving forward. We can only assume she ends up held captive.

#3 ·
I just turn on the CC now. I'm glad that it's not necessarily because I'm getting old. :)
Yeah. I'm watching again with CC on just to get all the Sorkinese.

Olivia Munn was almost back to line spewing again. "Now I need to re-evaluate my life..."

We hear for the first time that Will is a lawyer who was a prosecutor and the ACN legal correspondent.

I think the whole Sex in the City romance is way overblown.

Once again, those tweeter internet geeks are such asshats.

#5 ·
I could really do without the whole Maggie/Jim relationship, it's really dragging the show down for me.
This is a well-written show, but I fear I may be losing interest. Knowing how the Occupy Wallstreet turns out and other items are only compelling if you care about the characters.

Sloan and Will are the only ones I care about anymore.

The whole Genoa fiasco coming up is boring. Since we know they get in trouble, I'm going on the assumption that they were set up to make Obama look bad or to get someone there fired. The flash-forward to lawyers and depositions takes most of the fun out if it for me.

#6 ·
I could really do without the whole Maggie/Jim relationship, it's really dragging the show down for me.
Yep. I don't even remember what triggered Maggie's rant at the SiTC bus.

The whole Genoa fiasco coming up is boring. Since we know they get in trouble, I'm going on the assumption that they were set up to make Obama look bad or to get someone there fired. The flash-forward to lawyers and depositions takes most of the fun out if it for me.
Sorkin said there was a real CNN fiasco where the producer turned the guy saying "If there was Sarin gas..." into "there was Sarin Gas."

We saw the Gunny saying he dropped the gas. Sorkin's story is a bit more bonifide.

#7 ·

Sorkin said there was a real CNN fiasco where the producer turned the guy saying "If there was Sarin gas..." into "there was Sarin Gas."

We saw the Gunny saying he dropped the gas. Sorkin's story is a bit more bonifide.
Yeah but I can't help but think they're getting set up. Maybe not though.

#10 ·
She was in a bad mood to begin with, then as she was walking down the sidewalk, the SitC bus came by and hit a huge puddle and she got totally soaked by the splash, just like in the opening credits of SitC.

The Operation Genoa plotline is loosely based on CNN's coverage of Operation Tailwind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind

#14 ·
#15 ·
Much better this week.
agreed, it met my expectations much more than last weeks ep.
Olivia Munn was almost back to line spewing again. "Now I need to re-evaluate my life..."
that line seemed out of character to me. if she's as big a nerd as she professes, wouldn't she already be aware of the ignore button on cell phones? they've been around since she was in high school.
i'm so glad the love triangle (rectangle, maybe polygon?) was disolved so the characters can explore other avenues in their lives outside the office. those relationships almost took over the first season.

#16 ·
Much better this week. I feel like I have to watch this show in total silence to get the dialog. Headphones help, too. Which means I'll be watching it, like I did this one, after midnight when everyone else in the house is asleep.

I still didn't hear all the dialog in the scene with Lisa. There was one line she said that I didn't hear after trying three times.

Will screaming at the cop was a bit much. As was MacKenzie throwing a drink at Will for some not very well explained reason.

But the major plot points of Genoa and Maggie in Africa seem to be moving forward. We can only assume she ends up held captive.
I also liked this episode a lot better, and yes, it's hard to follow all the dialog and found myself rewinding a couple of times. I also think I'll start watching with CC on as well.

They also started falling into Sorkin speech / dialog patterns much more this episode. In one case, I could almost guess the next line.

I like Jim sparring with the other Romney reporter. "I get it, competition"

My son caught the A-Rod reference!

#18 ·
I also liked this episode a lot better, and yes, it's hard to follow all the dialog and found myself rewinding a couple of times. I also think I'll start watching with CC on as well.

They also started falling into Sorkin speech / dialog patterns much more this episode. In one case, I could almost guess the next line.

I like Jim sparring with the other Romney reporter. "I get it, competition"

My son caught the A-Rod reference!
How long as Mac been in America? Does she really follow baseball enough to know that reference off the top of her head?

Imagine someone with that accent calling into Mike Francesa. :)

Mac in Manhattan, what's up Mac?

Also, September of 2011 was before the whole pinch hit and bench in the postseason thing. Arod was still Arod then, even though he only hit 16 HRs and only played in 99 games. He was still, as I recall, batting third.

#19 ·
if she's as big a nerd as she professes, wouldn't she already be aware of the ignore button on cell phones? they've been around since she was in high school.
She's aware of the ignore button, just not the implications of using it. If you call someone and it immediately goes to VM then the phone is off or out of coverage.

If it rings on and on before going to VM then the person is not near the phone, doesn't hear it or for some other reason doesn't answer.

But if it rings only a couple times before going to VM then most likely the person saw who it was and rejected it. What she didn't realize was that she'd been announcing the fact she was rejecting specific calls to the callers for years.

Me, if I want to reject an incoming call without announcing the fact I mute the ringer and let it time out out on it's own. For persistent callers I mark them in my phonebook as "send straight to VM" and it goes straight there with the phone only lighting up briefly. I'll later blame it on being in a poor coverage area or my flaky phone.

#20 ·
She's aware of the ignore button, just not the implications of using it. If you call someone and it immediately goes to VM then the phone is off or out of coverage.

If it rings on and on before going to VM then the person is not near the phone, doesn't hear it or for some other reason doesn't answer.

But if it rings only a couple times before going to VM then most likely the person saw who it was and rejected it. What she didn't realize was that she'd been announcing the fact she was rejecting specific calls to the callers for years.

Me, if I want to reject an incoming call without announcing the fact I mute the ringer and let it time out out on it's own. For persistent callers I mark them in my phonebook as "send straight to VM" and it goes straight there with the phone only lighting up briefly. I'll later blame it on being in a poor coverage area or my flaky phone.
I was just about to write something almost like this.

As a nerd, if I was designing an ignore button it wouldn't let the caller know they were being ignored. I'm not shocked that someone, even a nerd, would be aware of the button but not aware it changed the voicemail behavior the caller observed.

#25 ·
How long as Mac been in America? Does she really follow baseball enough to know that reference off the top of her head?

Imagine someone with that accent calling into Mike Francesa. :)

Mac in Manhattan, what's up Mac?

Also, September of 2011 was before the whole pinch hit and bench in the postseason thing. Arod was still Arod then, even though he only hit 16 HRs and only played in 99 games. He was still, as I recall, batting third.
I thought the same thing. It did seem weird coming from her. But his name was in the news a lot so I guess, from a pop culture standpoint she might know it.

#26 ·

Well I DID have black beans in my burrito at lunch :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.