1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newroom S01E05 "Amen" 7/22/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Jonathan_S, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I think this is my favorite episode so far.

The intensity seemed more in place with the reporters at risk than last weeks episode where they seemed to make just a bit too much out of whether or not to jump in with the early unconfirmed report of the Congresswoman's death. (Yes you want to be right, but it'd hardly ruin the news division or Will himself if they'd gotten the call wrong)

Also when Will went to meet the tabloid reporter to pay her off I was wondering if it was going to be a sting. Catch her taking hush money and expose it. Probably wouldn't have worked; trying to expose the people attacking you, but it's what I was thinking.

2. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I really liked this episode. The balance just keeps getting better with this show. I can hardly believe that there are only five episodes left.

Guess I should be grateful that with only 10 episodes, Aaron Sorkin can write them all himself. :eek:

3. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    Is it me or is Maggie a poor mans version of Kristen 'Veronica Mars' Bell?

Their voices are eerily similar and I can easily see Kristen playing the Maggie role instead of the current weird forehead/eyes actress playing it.

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Even Sorkin mocked himself, and wrote in the script, with the co-incidences in the first episode with two staffers knowing two tipsters ready and willing to blow the whistle on their employers in minutes.

Now Neal was there in the London subway attack.

How about Gary Cooper going into the studio and audibly telling Will that TMI will take a bribe with all the mics and cameras there to record what he said? He couldn't have told him in his office?

"THSI IS CHARLIE...PATCH ME THROUGH TO HIS EARPIECE! I SWEAR TO GOD THAT YOU WON'T BE THERE AFTER THE COMMERICAL!

5. chronatog7

chronatog7 Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I'm really enjoying the series. I have liked all the episodes so far, but I think the show is getting into a nice grove with the stories.

It is funny how the news looks so much better on hindsight. The sad part is the clicks they used are real (e.g. CNN, MSNBC, FOX) and it shows how crappy the news has become.

6. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Weak in a few places:

1. The door smacking Jim was a bit too much of a gag.

2. Worst summary of Citizens United ever.

But overall, pretty enjoyable.

7. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I enjoyed the first four episodes. This one, not so much. I cannot lay out a specific reason other than I just did not seem interested in what was going on this week.

8. dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    I must admit, I was chopping some onions in the final scene.

9. Ruth

Ruth Now with toddler

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I like this show. I feel like it is finding its stride, and I like Aaron Sorkin's style a lot.

That said, sometimes I feel like I am just watching remixed West Wing episodes. Like in this episide with the whole "MacKenzie needs remedial economics lessons" subplot. There's an early West Wing episode that uses the exact same plot when CJ needs help from Sam in understanding the census. And not just the basic, but the whole structure and details of it: Mac/CJ goes to someone and sheepishly admits she needs help understanding an issue, then they have a witty discussion about how she's been faking it, and then they have little lessons over salads in someone's office. It was just so similar I was really struck by it, and found myself wondering whether Sorkin had run out of ideas.

There have been some other moments in this show where I've had the same feeling.

10. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Some people might not have under stood the show if they had never seen the Movie Rudy. The ending had me coking up and teary eyed.

11. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Altadena, CA
    Um, Sorkin put the gun on the mantle at the beginning of the show during the post show meeting.

--Carlos "he explained the relevant Rudy plot point about lining up and jerseys" V.

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You must have been up all night after that.

13. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Never seen Rudy and didn't really pay attention to the explanation so I basically ignored the final scene.

It was a decent episode. The interaction with the gossip columnist was satisfying.

14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Love the show and thought this was the best episode so far.

15. Queue

Queue UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Apr 6, 2009
    Best episode so far. Loving this show!

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Love the news stuff, absolutely HATE the relationship stuff. I still don't see a connection between Mac and Will. They don't seem even closely compatible, and the interaction surround them seems contrived and boring. Maggie (is that the blonde producers name) has become a total tool, and I cringe now when she's in the scene. I don't like her interaction with the young producer that Mac brought in and I think they should get it over with by now and get together. Since it's what, almost a year in real time between the first and this episode I think it's enough time for them to realize this.

And about that....I feel like there's a lot "missing" in between episodes, since there's time elapsed.

I did like the Egypt story. Didn't tear up at the closing scene, but we got it. Even my son who never saw Rudy, understood from the description of the uniform scene what was happening with the checks. He actually caught that before I did.

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Maggie's roommate who is dating the producer, that actress was in The Office as one of Pam's bridesmaids.

That was what, two years ago? Somehow, she looks five years younger in The Newsroom from how she looked in The Office.

18. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Speaking of time elapsing, what's up with Don? He spends a lot of time helping out on Will's show for someone that "left" to go to the 10pm show (although this episode at least made it clear that the office space is shared between the two).

Also, I'm guessing the "we cover real events that happened" is going to pinch the production schedule. By the end of this season they'll be less than a year behind realtime. I expect a long break before next season...

19. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I think that Don just wants in on what they are doing. He's got to get ratings for the 10:00, but he wants to be part of what's happening at 7:00.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I would imagine next season will be all about the Presidential Election news wise with other things interspersed. Penn State, Colorado shooting. Syria, European financial melt down. Things like that.