1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newegg has Western Digital WD30EZRX 3TB

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by A J Ricaud, Sep 13, 2013.

1. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    For $118.99 using promo code EMCXLWT27.

2. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I have ordered a good amount of items over the years from NewEgg and I generally recommend them to others. BUT, I'm not a fan of how their hard drives are (sometimes, often, always?) shipped. The last drive I got from them (several years ago) was inside the little plastic clam-shell and then dumped into a huge box with some Styrofoam peanuts. That drive had plenty of room to roam inside the box!

So, last year, when I was going to purchase a drive from them for my Tivo, I asked customer service in advance how the drive would be packaged. Their response was clam-shell in a big box.

True, they will replace a drive that is DOA, but that's not the point. It's just a bad idea to ship a drive packaged like that.

3. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    I purchase nearly all my drives from Newegg, they are all typically packaged in bubble wrap in a box, my last one 2 weeks ago was in a WD clam shell box with the drive inside the black plastic mounts, arrived just fine. Never had a DOA. Knock on Wood

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The only DOA drives I've ever had came from NewEgg, as in 2 out 4.
    I buy bare drives from Amazon.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I have had bad luck with Newegg drives. The only time they seem to ship fine is when you order in bulk amounts of 4 or more and they get shipped in the original shipping box.

Wish Amazon would match.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The same here. I've ordered dozens of drives over the last few years from Newegg. And if anything they are usually over wrapped with tons of bubble wrap or put in styrofoam slots that are designed to hold several hard drives.

Although I did have a bad 3TB drive last month when I had ordered five Seagates while on sale. But that had nothing to do with the packaging.
    But at least Newegg covers return shipping on the defective products.