1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie with copy protection messages

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by RichieR, Dec 21, 2013.

1. RichieR

RichieR New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm new to the Tivo Roamio Plus and these forums so I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I got my Roamio yesterday, had the cablecard installed and went on a rampage recording everything I could find. At night when I settled into watch it, I received two copy protection messages...

This was while a movie was recording on TMCHD:
    [​IMG]

And this was while recording HBOHD:
    [​IMG]

I had an external drive connected to my Samsung LED SmartTV at the time. Once I disconnected the drive, the message went away on the HBO show but it was too late as the Tivo deleted the TMC movie.

Is the dang TV somehow "telling" the TIVO there's a drive attached? I don't want to copy, move or transfer the shows...I just want to watch them, that's all and I'd like to keep the drive attached as I have lots of family home movies that we want to watch over the holidays.

Anyway, sorry if this is the wrong board but I'm not sure what to do short of disconnecting the drive as I don't want my shows wiped out automatically.

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    The change in behavior with the hard drive is interesting, I haven't heard that before.

You'll want to read up on the CCI byte:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243/kw/copy%20protected/r_id/100041/sno/0#digital

Check the CCI values on the channels you are having trouble with (and ones you are not). Most channels should be either 0x00 or 0x02, depending on your cable co. It sounds like your CCI might be set to 0x03 or 0x07, which require the TiVo to delete the content after 90 minutes, but that is usually used for PPV content and not on a movie channel. It may have been set by mistake by your cable co. If so, hopefully it will self-correct because you'll have a hard time trying to get them to fix it otherwise.

Reply back with what you find, your cableco name, and location. Maybe someone here can compare notes with you.

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX

This could also be the cable provider. During the last summer Olympics TWC set this bit on all the 3D content so when I arrived home from church I couldn't watch the events if recorded. Someone I know who had a TWC dvr did not have this restriction placed on them.

4. RichieR

RichieR New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    OK checked the CCI values per Tivo's instructions and both channels show 0x00,which according to Tivo aren’t protected.

Weird that as soon as I disconnected the WD Passport from the TV's USB input and turned the Samsung off then back on, the HBO show didn't have that message and I could watch it, no problem. The TMCHD show was no longer in "My Shows". I wonder if this dang Samsung SmartTV can communicate with the cable card somehow.

I'm using Jackson Energy Authority (fiber to the home) in Jackson, TN.

5. RichieR

RichieR New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Hmmm...I never had this issue with the antiquated Motorola DVR box they gave me last month...Which by the way, only could handle about 20hrs of HD content.

Have to say, I love the Roamio! Just don't want to have shows wiped before I can even watch 'em (particularly while they're still recording). She's gonna be one angry warden if she misses her shows after I told her how great this was and I "needed" it for both of us for Christmas.:D

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    You could disconnect the drive from the tv and transfer the shows you have stored on it to the TiVo. Having the drive connected to the tv when you have TiVo is redundant anyway.

7. RichieR

RichieR New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    I think that's the plan...Good idea and thank you.