1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New youtube app

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by caryrae73, May 10, 2012.

1. May 10, 2012 #1 of 135
    caryrae73

caryrae73 New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    I have been playing around with the new youetube app after the new spring update. One thing I can't figure out is when you go to say featured and it shows the different playlists like YouTube Trends, it says it has 2767 videos. How do go in and see a list of the videos? I have tried to figure it out but can't, maybe it's because I use a Harmony remote.

2. May 10, 2012 #2 of 135
    Blacknotice

Blacknotice New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    San Francisco
    I feel you. i lost my ability to go through my subscriptions individually

3. May 11, 2012 #3 of 135
    jakerome

jakerome New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Yup. Playing around with YouTube today. The old app, it worked fine with 2 HUGE issues: awful video quality & favorites/ playlists were busted. Otherwise, I liked the interface.

Now, what do we get? AWESOME video quality. Favorites/ Playlists FINALLY work. THat's the good. The bad...

1) Terribly slow.
    2) Normal remote control functions no longer work.
    3) No ability to find individual subscriptions. None, zip zilch zero. It's as if the folks at YouTube aren't familiar with how real people watch YouTube. We don't "subscribe" to channels because we plan to watch those hundreds of videos in sequence. We use them as shortcuts. At least we used to. Subscriptions & friends link are now totally useless.
    4) Autoplay the first item in a playlist is annoying. Again, the logic is impeccably awful.

So thanks Google engineers. You've now completely ruined my ability to easily browse for friends videos on YouTube. Now, anytime I want to watch a video, I pretty much need to open up my web browser, search for a particular video I want to watch, and add it to a playlist. It's hard to emphasize what a stupid watchflow that is.

Damnit.

I've been begging TiVo to improve video quality & fix playlists for 5 years. We now have an update that addresses that and eviscerates every other useful function. So terribly disappointing. Total fail. The app is clearly designed so people are shoehorned into using YouTube the way Google Executives dream about, as if they're just one force-fed TiVo app away from the big leagues.

Throw it out Google. Start over. Design an app targeted to the way people ACTUALLY use YouTube, and stop outputting crap designed to funnel users into some theoretical future. It's terrible. It won't work. Fewer people will watch YouTube.

I'll say this, I may watch YouTube more or less than before. But I simply won't ever browse for anything to watch using the new app.

There's a terrible irony here, because the way Netflix worked before forced you to set up the Instant Watch queue from a computer, which wasn't so terrible for 30 minute programs. On YouTube less used playlists were broken but the discovery/bookmark (subscriptions) mechanism was fairly robust. Which made sense for short-form video. Now on Netflix we can add to our Instant Queue. That's nice, not critical but nice. Meanwhile, on YouTube, we're new practically forced to visit the website and set up playlists. Which is inane for short-form video.

Two thumbs way down, with props for FINALLY enabling decent quality video about 5 years after it should've been in place.

4. May 11, 2012 #4 of 135
    Stevesreed

Stevesreed New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    I can't believe they messed up the interface this badly. The only way I've been able to to watch videos in my favorites list is by starting with the first video and skipping to the next continuously until I get to the video I want.

Not only is that awkward, its just plane wrong as basic playback functionality. It forces you to watch the newest video first no matter what. If you put in a video in three parts, it plays them back to you last part first.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong, and there is a mode that just gives me a list of my favorites and lets me pick one to play...

5. May 11, 2012 #5 of 135
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I don't want to crap on the effort, but yeah, this is pretty terrible to use.

6. May 11, 2012 #6 of 135
    Stevesreed

Stevesreed New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Ah, I figure out how to at least see my favorites playlist. I have to start playing the first video, then hit pause, then press down for info, then down again for related videos and down again for current play list.

I will obviously not be using my Tivo for YouTube viewing. And since the Netflix app is still not as nice as the one on my Apple TV, Tivo nothing more than a basic DVR for me. Just used for recording and playing back broadcast TV.

7. May 11, 2012 #7 of 135
    jakerome

jakerome New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    One Box. 2 years later, promise unfulfilled. Tomorrow I accept reality and buy an Apple TV. Not abandoning TiVo, but one less reason to recommend the service.

8. May 11, 2012 #8 of 135
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Navigation is convoluted in this YouTube application. Although at least there is HD now. It does make it more difficult than needed to see my subscriptions. And it's not as as responsive as I would like.

9. May 11, 2012 #9 of 135
    timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Love my TIVO for what it is, a DVR. I recently gave up on all the extras and bought and Apple TV. I could get my TIVO to transfer videos directly from computer or from itunes and watch on TV but it was a PITA. Could never get my photos to show consistently on the TIVO. With the Apple TV that is all very simple now. Then I noticed how much easier netflix and youtube were, I basically just use my TIVO as a DVR now :) imagine that.... I do like I can transfer videos from TIVO to my iMac. Not unhappy wiht TIVO, just isn't going to be the one box I was hoping when I got it.

T

10. May 11, 2012 #10 of 135
    Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    I was hoping for better. Guess I'll just have to use my apple tv for YouTube.

11. May 11, 2012 #11 of 135
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I was just hoping for "not worse". Other than picture quality, though, it didn't meet that expectation.

12. May 11, 2012 #12 of 135
    TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    When the first video is playing, you can hit the down arrow 2 or 3 times, and it will bring up the thumbnails of all the favorited videos that you can scroll through horizontally. However, be careful using up/down because it can be slow to respond, and you may end up exiting to the previous screen once it applies all the clicks that it has buffered. It's pretty much like navigating the menus while using one of those drunk driving simulators that slows your reaction time.

13. May 11, 2012 #13 of 135
    caryrae73

caryrae73 New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    You can press the right or left arrow while video is playing too. I was hoping to see the list of videos without having play the 1st video.

14. May 11, 2012 #14 of 135
    gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The new Netflix app = epic fail. :(

15. May 11, 2012 #15 of 135
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Blame Netflix. It is their design.

16. May 11, 2012 #16 of 135
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If it's an "epic fail" then the Netflix apps on other devices have failed also. Since the Netflix application on the TiVo is now consistent with the Netflix app on most other devices.(except for the native resolution output capability of the TiVo)

17. May 11, 2012 #17 of 135
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I hate this "epic fail"- It is way overused. Do people understand what "epic" or "fail" even mean? This is more "strangely problematic" or "confusingly erratic" or even "clumsy".

Anyhow, do you mean youtube? I would leave netflix out of this thread, as they already have their own. There, comments are apparently being compiled to share with netflix.

Have the youtube implementations on other devices started at this level and improved over time? Or does Google write an app and leave alone for long periods of time? Who should comments/complaints be sent to?

18. May 11, 2012 #18 of 135
    news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
  19. May 11, 2012 #19 of 135
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I really thought the new interface sucked. I found it harder to use, didn't look as good (I don't like the color scheme), and can't figure out what it does that the older interface didn't do.

It also felt slower.

Maybe I just have to take more time with it.

20. May 11, 2012 #20 of 135
    caryrae73

caryrae73 New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Stillwater, MN
    Seems to work a little better on the mock up then on the TiVo. They are not quite the same. That must be for TV's with the TiVo app on them.

Couple other little things not on the new app at least hasn't worked for me. On the old version when you did a search and were using the on screen keyboard you could press the >> button for a space and the << button to delete last character you typed, doesn't seem to work on new app. Also when you do search for videos you can't just page down or up on the listed videos to go through them faster, you can only push the arrow up or down and go through one at a time, you could do that on the old version.