1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New XL4, Tuners 3 and 4 not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by colin1497, Jan 26, 2013.

1. colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    OK, just got an XL4 to replace my well used 1TB S3, installed and paired the cable card, installed the tuning adapter, thought everything was OK and let the TWC cablecard guy off the phone. A few hours later I realized that only tuners 1 and 2 are working, not tuners 3 and 4. I didn't see anything obvious searching tivocommunity -- is this a problem anyone else has seen?

And no, I don't have it set to allow 2 of the tuners to be used by other devices, it's set to have all 4 tuners devoted locally.

I can tune SDV (or non-SDV stations) stations on the first 2 tuners, and when I try to tune the exact same stations on the other 2 tuners I get a blank screen and the message telling me that the station isn't available. This is easily visible with a restart, where all 4 tuners will tune the same station...

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Reboot both the TiVo and the tuning adapter. I had the same problem when I got mine and it took rebooting both to get all 4 tuners working.

Dan

3. colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    OK, I've tried that once so far, but I'll go through it again. I've previously had issues where I had to reboot my S3 and tuning adapter to make things happy, so if that eventually works, I won't be surprised. :)

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Had similar problems with my Elite when I first got it. Eventually I had to move it to a different room with more direct cable drop as it wouldn't tune for all 4 tuners at the intended location. The 4 tuner units apparently require pristine conditions to function properly. Remember internally it's doing a 4 way split of incoming cable signal so it takes a good signal coming in for all 4 tuners to function properly.

5. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Someone else mentioned with there new XL4 the MRS setting for the Tivo Mini was enabled locking out two of there tuners.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Wasn't there a thread or post somewhere about this problem stating that, when you've got Multi-Room Streaming enabled, it locks out two tuners for that purpose? Maybe I'm hallucinating...

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    MRS doesn't use any tuners.

8. compnurd

compnurd Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yeh MRS may be the wrong word I am using but it whatever the Tuner allocation setting is that was enabled in the last update for the "4's"

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Someone had tuners enabled for remote devices (for the unreleased mini) and it kept two of the tuners from working.

Check this:
    Settings & Messages> Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Allow Live TV on Other Devices

10. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    The OP commented in his original post he had already eliminated that possible situation! Did he? I'd think so!

11. colin1497

colin1497 New Member

Nov 20, 2006
    Correct. :)

Turns out I got it working with another reboot. I'm not sure that I powered down the tuning adapter the first time. With the S3 I always had to disconnect the tuning adapter's USB connection if I rebooted, then reconnect it afterwards, otherwise I'd lose all my SDV stations. The first reboot I think I just disconnected the USB like I had learned to do with the S3. The time that fixed the problem I unplugged the power from the tuning adapter, rebooted the XL4, powered up the tuning adapter, and connected the USB. Voila: 4 tuners.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I had the same trouble when I got mine. And like you after a few attempts landed on some combination of reboots that finally worked. Since then I've never had that problem again, so this appears to be a one time struggle.

Dan

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It's possible the tuning adapter didn't have the new firmware that activated it for more than 2 tuners when the TiVo initially connected to it. So rebooting all the devices probably got the TiVo to see the updated tuner support from the TA.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Another user had the same problem and it turned out that two of the tuners were dedicated to live streaming. This is to support the as yet unavailable TiVo-mini.

Note: The other user had not changed this. He didn't even know about it. It arrived like that. Caused no end of aggravation.