1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New User

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MsLynn99, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MsLynn99

MsLynn99 New Member

Jan 19, 2013
    :)Hi All!

I am a brand new TiVo owner, having bought a Premiere 4 last weekend. I wanted the Premiere 4XL (mainly for the recording space), but my Best Buy didn't have one, so I got the Premiere 4. I have a DVR expander, so I do have lots of room, but I am wondering if I should have looked harder to find an XL... I have an old TV (no flat screen or HD or anything special), and don't have any plans to replace it. Any thoughts?

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    I biggest difference is the size of the hard drive. The one you got has a 500GB drive and the other one has a 2TB drive. If you don't record much or record, watch, then delete the larger hard drive probably won't be needed. The DVR expanders give you more space, but make for two sources of failure. That means that if either the internal or external drive goes bad, then you lose your recordings because Tivo arbitraily splits recordings across both drives. Usually, folks opt for buying a larger hard drive and copying the Tivo drive to that. The Tivo drive can then be set on a shelf as a backup.

3. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    If you (or a good friend) are comfortable upgrading hard drives in PCs, you shouldn't have any trouble buying a 2TB drive for $100 and upgrading the Tivo yourself. If you've already used the expander though, not sure you can still upgrade yourself.

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If you really intend to stay non-HD you should be able to record SD versions of what you watch, in which case 500 GB will be a lot of storage.