1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Update ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by BP-isMe, Jan 28, 2014.

1. BP-isMe

BP-isMe New Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Boston
    I just saw that my Roamio had a Pending Restart. I did the restart and it said it was installing an update.

The version is now 20.3.8.1.RC1-USA-6-846

I had not seen any talk of an update recently so I thought I would post about it.

FYI: I am not a beta tester.

I did think that RC1 in the version seemed interesting...maybe it's been there before and I did not notice.

I have not had time to see what may have changed yet.

Brad

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, my version is 20.3.8-USA-6-846, so looks like there is an update going out.

3. speedy2

speedy2 TivoAddict

Aug 19, 2002
    Preston, CT
    My Roamio Plus is pending restart too. Maybe bug fixes? :D

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Darn, so march/april (at least) for the glitch with overlapping recordings & if-you-pad-a-recording-now-you-get-an-unnamed-recording fixes...

6. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Yeah, this is crazy. I might have no choice but to go through all my passes and stop padding (painful).

You'd think Tivo would at a minimum send out a fix to turn it off. Can't believe we have to go 3-4 months with broken functionality.

-Kevin

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My experience has been that if you pad an individual recording you will get the unnamed doubles, however you can pad and/or change the padding of the same shows season pass and not get the unnamed doubles.

8. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

You still get the overlapping-recordings glitch.

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That is not how it was (is?) working for me, at least the last time I had to change padding which was for The Good Wife and Mentalist on Sunday night. If I changed the actual season pass settings I did not get multiple recordings, if I just changed the padding on a recording then I got the duplicates unnamed recordings. I do have several season passes with padding and I don't get duplicates, will have to change a season pass again and see what happens.

10. bbrown9

bbrown9 Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Another 3 or 4 months of Netflix causing my TiVo to reboot?!?!?

This is something that was supposed to have been fixed a couple of updates ago and it's still a problem. UGGHH!!!

11. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

It has nothing to do with changing padding. It is about back to back recordings on the same channel that overlap and only use one tuner.

Example

Record show on NBC from 7:00-7:30 with one minute of padding at the end
    Record show on NBC from 7:30-8:00

This used to require two tuners, but the recent update changed it to using only one tuner. The problem is that there is a small glitch in the second recording at the end of the overlap point. In the above example, that would be at 7:31, one minute into the second recording.

12. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    These are two separate issues.

The first is the back-to-back glitch that uses one tuner.

EDIT: Not only does this bug cause the glitch consistently, but it also in some cases will cause the second/third/etc recording to be skipped entirely with a No Longer in Guide message.

The other is if you manually change the padding of a recording, weird things happen:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9978548#post9978548

Two different bugs that Tivo needs to fix.

-Kevin

13. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Never said they weren't.

14. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Just making sure previous poster understands they are two issues that don't have anything to do with each other.

-Kevin

15. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't know about one minute padding but I pad 60 minute by 1 hour and do the same for the The Good Wife, I never had any padding problems, I get two recordings, one called 60 Minutes the other The Good Wife, although both are on the same CBS HD channel two tuners are used. Your problem may be part of the overlay setting that will cut off up to 5 minutes of the next program, I would turn off auto overlap with your 6 tuner Roamios and the problem should go away.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I haven't seen these issues at all either, and likewise my overlaps I have are usually 60 minutes or more as well, not the < 5 minute variety.

17. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    This is a well documented problem, reported by numerous people and has absolutely nothing whatever to do with overlap protection.

Unless you have leading padding on "The Good Wife", your recordings do not overlap. "60 Minutes" ends an hour before "The Good Wife" starts, so even with an hour of padding, there is no overlap.

I will give you a valid example.

I had 2 minutes of leading padding and 30 minutes of trailing padding on both "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" and 2 minutes of leading padding and 60 minutes of trailing padding on "American Dad". The "Family Guy" has a minor "glitch" at the two minute mark. Although "American Dad" was in the "ToDo List", it was not recorded at all, other than the part that was at the end of the "Family Guy" entry. The History indicated that it was no longer in the guide. BTW, I have overlap protection turned off since I hate it.

They implemented this feature in a quick and dirty manner. Of the three ways that I thought of to do it, they chose the absolutely worst way. They also obviously gave insufficient thought to scheduler issues and little if any testing.

18. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Fortunately, at least if you have CC on, you USUALLY see the dialogue that you miss in the glitch.. and as previously mentioned, this glitch DOESN'T prevent downloading of shows to a computer.

19. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I can assure you I have no leading padding on the Good Wife, I get both programs each takes up 2 hours, (at one time I was using 1.5 hours of padding) if 60 min starts say 1/2 hour late I will fast fwr the 1/2 hour and watch 60 min, than if I go to the good wife it also starts 1/2 hour late, I also do a lot of 3 minutes extra time on ABC programs and never had any overlap problems, sometimes I will see the start of the next program within that 3 minutes, if I go the 2nd program directly on my TiVo the program starts again from the beginning, so I have two places to see the first one or two minutes of the 2nd show, so the overlap must be working, at least for me, on my Roamio Plus.

20. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you have no padding on "The Good Wife", then "60 Minutes" doesn't overlap at all. That was my point.

There are 3 distinct problems. only the first of which you might see.

1. For overlapping recordings of consecutive shows on the same channel, there is a small, barely noticeable "glitch" in the second recording at the point where the overlap ends. This may not occur every time. Basically, the TiVo is "splicing" two recordings together and the "splice" may or may not be smooth. At least that is what appears to be happening.

2. If you attempt to change the padding for existing entries for recordings that overlap, it does not change the padding and creates non-recording, unnamed entries in the To Do List.

3. (this is the one you don't understand) If the padding for the first show encompasses the entire time slot of the second show, it will not record the second show. While its is true that if there were no overruns, the recording for the first show will contain the second show, you will not have a separate entry in the NPL for it. If there were overruns, which you expected - otherwise why pad? - you will miss part of the second show. If the recordings only overlap by a few minutes, you will not see this problem. However, if you were to monitor the NPL, you would notice that an entry for the second show does not appear until the first recording ends.