1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TV, but can't figure how to connect to TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by betts4, Oct 21, 2012.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    Just bought an LG 32" at BB. I went to connect cables and found that the new tv had usb ports and not a round port (with little wires) for the TiVo like my old tv. I have a TiVo HD and it's set up as a wireless.

Right now the TiVo is not connected but the cable is. I still can't get any channels and figure that's because it used to all go thru my TiVo. I am not sure if that's correct though. I also have a ps3 and that is connected to the new tv and is working fine.

Thank god my spare TiVo is working and can record Walking Dead tonight!
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    HDMI cable from the Tivo HD to the TV
    No cable connection needed for the TV (feel free to ignore the USB ports)
  3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    Sounds like the little round port was probably S-video. That has gone away on most newer TVs. Since you posted in this forum, I'm assuming that you have a Series 3 Tivo of some sort. It should have HDMI, composite, and component video connections and so should your TV. If the HDMI works, use it. It's a single cable for both video and audio and is digital. Second choice would be component (red/green/blue for video and red/white for audio). Only use the composite video (yellow video and red/white for audio) as a last resort because you lose resolution. Your new TV remote should allow you to select the appropriate input from the Tivo.
  4. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    If the TV has more than a couple of USB ports you may be confusing them with HDMI ports which are not quite rectangular but close. Just sayin' and I may be dead wrong.
  5. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    All of the 32" LG tvs at best buy have 2 hdmi ports and the tivo hd also has an hdmi port. You will run an hdmi cable from the hdmi port on the tivo hd to either hdmi port on the LG tv.
  6. HerronScott

HerronScott Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Here's a picture of an HDMI port.

You just need to buy a cheap HDMI cable.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks! It was an S video port because my old tv was just that old. I picked up a HDMI cable and the connection is great!

Now I have to remember how to synch my TiVo remote to take over doing everything - it will change channels and such but for sound and power I have to use the tv remote.

One step at a time. Thanks for your help!
  8. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Betts - the remote control setup should be fairly simple for you.

Press the TiVo home button.

Once there, look for Help and Setup or something similar.

Within that area, look for "Remote Control" or similar.

That should then walk you through the setup process for programming the remote to control your TV, assuming the TV is compatible with one of the codes that is shown.

9. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    Try different remote codes from the list for LG. I found with my Samsung that the first code worked the power on/off but I had to use a different code to also get the input selection and volume control. Once I found the best code the TV remote went into a drawer.