1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to tivo can i use a usb video capture on the romio plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Thebreen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    hello my first post. I am considering the romio plus. one thing I would like to do is watch some of my programs on a pc. can a usb audio video capture device be connected to the composite connections to record the output from the romio to a windows 7 pc

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    It could be, yes; but, you can also transfer programs from the Roamio to the PC over the network, with no loss of quality, as long as they're not marked with the copy-prohibited flag.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    But be sure to check copy protection policies on your particular cable system. One MSO, Time Warner Cable, is notorious nationwide for protecting all channels except local broadcast stations. And there are some other systems with similar policies.

BTW, the least painful way to check on copy protection is to post your particular cable system, including local region, here and ask. Getting reliable info directly from the cable operator can be very painful.

4. Thebreen

Thebreen New Member

Nov 24, 2013

Yes my cable provider Brighthouse of Central Florida (zipcode 32901) also copy protects all channels except local broadcasts (I currently am using windows media center in windows 7 it shows which programs are copy protected and which are not). I would like to be able to watch the programs I record when I travel. I was using a Replay TV recorder and offloading the programs to a computer/tablet for remote watching (it only recorded in SD). looking for an alternative. Does Out of House streaming work for copy protected (I am sure it doesn't allow for download from what I have read on this site and Tivo site).

5. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Active Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    From my post on another Roamio thread:

"I installed and used kmttg to move several programs from my Premiere to my PC. So far I've copied an episode of SNL, Big Bang Theory and The Daily Show with John Stewart. I played one of them on my PC so the transfer must have worked. I did let kmttg download additional programs that allow decrypt, Ad Detect, Ad Cut, encode and metadata. "

The Big Bang Theory, Daily Show with Jon Stewart and SNL episodes all play on my PC. The Oprah Winfrey 24-th season opener has video but no audio. Will have to investigate.

http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/