1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW TiVo Search

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by davezatz, Jan 7, 2009.

1. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    New TiVo Search (beta) lands on Series3 and TiVo HD boxes Wednesday. I've got some thoughts and a few pics, and Megazone has even more pics.

Introduction of New TiVo Search Means Channel Surfing is a Now Thing of the Past Find What You’ve Been Missing

LAS VEGAS, NV. January 7, 2009 -TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today showed the future of television, unveiling a redesigned TiVo Search feature that offers improved search results with a completely new High Definition design, all at no additional charge. TiVo Search brings users the power of choice, offering millions of pieces of content not available via cable or satellite, along with thousands of linear TV choices. Delivered via broadband, TiVo Search combines a graphics rich experience with simplicity and relevancy that makes it a truly revolutionary way to get more out of your TV.

“What Google did for the Internet, TiVo is now doing for the TV, bringing people a combination of excellent search results and innovative discovery that can’t be found anywhere else,” said Tom Rogers, CEO and President of TiVo Inc. “TiVo has always been known as the best way to watch what you want, when you want it. Now we’re taking that to a new level, using TiVo technology to find just the right program from hundreds of channels and thousands of broadband options, all in seconds. It is clear TiVo is leading the way in providing more choice, and also leading the way in finding content quickly. TiVo Search is a new way to find what you’ve been missing.”

TiVo Search takes advantage of extra screen size afforded by high definition televisions by showing more details about a highlighted program than ever before, eliminating the need to dig down into each and every program to learn what it is about. It ensures the most important information is surfaced right up to the screen you’re already on, equaling less navigation and quick, accurate results.

“One of the best things about the new TiVo Search feature is how it works as a discovery engine, helping users find content they didn’t even know they could get,” said Jim Denney, Vice President of Product Marketing at TiVo Inc. “We’ve added a new discovery bar that gives a quick guide to relevant content, and the search experience incorporates content from broadband sources like Amazon Video on Demand and YouTube. The newly tuned search engine also displays the most popular search results of the day automatically, even when typing only a single letter. Searches work not with just the first word of a title, but any word of the program, which is especially handy when looking for programs with specific search words.”

The new interface not only displays in high definition, it has a focus on finding high definition television content. TiVo search automatically recommends high definition television channels and episodes when users schedule a program to record. Additionally, users can now browse shows season by season and select any episode they want utilizing a robust episode guide. Depending on availability users may record content from cable/antenna, download it from Amazon Video on Demand, or use WishList searches to record it the next time the content is broadcast.

Seeing equals believing, and the new TiVo Search is no exception. Starting today broadband connected TiVo Series3, TiVo HD, and HD XL subscribers can experience a beta version of the feature on their TiVo DVR, which can be found under Music, Photos, and Showcases. For an online preview and to provide your comments and feedback on this new search tool to TiVo visit www.tivo.com/tivosearch.
  2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Irony :D

Page not found
    Hmmm... Seems we couldn't find what you were looking for.
  3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Ha. ;) TiVo's m.o. has been to usually launch those pages in the AM when the press release hits the wire. Though if you look at my pic of the UI, you'll see a different link here to the tivocommunity. Hmmmm as well.
  4. George Cifranci

George Cifranci Viva La Tivo!

Jan 30, 2003
  5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    The pictures at gizmodo look pretty cool to me. I'm not sure why some other sites are using low-resolution shots; much of the effect is lost.
  6. Peter Redmer

Peter Redmer New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    We just set up a new forum here exclusively for discussion on this beta feature - there's an announcement in all forums with more info. You can post in the new forum area here:

7. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Live now on my S3. And awesome. There's still some occasional slowness in the response to remote inputs but not enough to cause problems. I love the way they let you select among upcoming showings, rentals or purchase for a program. Love the episode guides and love the cast galleries.

Must have access to this from any program entry (guide, current program, now playing) as soon as it's out of Beta.

Kudos Tivo.

Created a new thread for first impressions in the beta forum and copied this in there.
  8. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    It may be possible that there was some confusion about the definition of 'midnight'.

Our team was working to midnight pacific. And I'm happy to report that everything was up and ready per schedule. ;)

9. lafos

lafos New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Very nice. I just tried it out and it is very responsive and the interface is easy to use. Hope there's a way to adjust the font size. Some of the text is hard to read at the distance I sit.
  10. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    This looks like a nice major upgrade to Swivel Search, but one thing that will keep me from using it is if it runs as slowly as Swivel Search (and other HME apps).

I have 20 Mbps Fios internet service, and a wired connection to the Tivo, but I still suffer from frequent long pauses when doing any HME-based operation. (I wonder if being on the east coast adds any delay in accessing the Tivo servers.)

TivoPony, would you care to comment on whether Tivo has addressed the HME slowness issues with this nice new feature? I'm sure it works great inside the walls of the Tivo building, but out here in the real world not as well.

[I just read over the comments on Dave Zatz's site -- sounds like the slowness problems are still there. :(]
  11. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Hmmm, that sounds encouraging. I'll be interested to hear other people's experiences...
  12. vstone

vstone New Member

May 11, 2002
    I hope this doesn't include as new feature that showed up on my S2. Whenever I pause I get the option to go search for relared content. You can disable for the remainder of a recording, but you can't turn off the feature.
  13. wm2008

wm2008 New Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I wish they would concentrate on fixing existing issues which are core to the product rather than adding new features.
  14. Mindflux

Mindflux TiVowned

Jan 16, 2008
    I wish all the items that make use of 'typing' in the TiVo would be uniform. One menu's "keyboard" is 4 characters wide while another is 3.. (or maybe it's 4 and 5 but whatever).

So I go use the Wishlist and see:

Then I go use some other tool and see:

All of these should be uniform. Bleh! Now this one is even wider than any other I've seen (if I'm remembering right).
  15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I figured I was just a bit ahead of the 'schedule' but could not contain myself due to the irony of the not found message. Kudos on a nice step forward to being the google of media in the living room and the concept of the open acknowledged beta via use of HME app. This could propel TiVo into an even faster turn around time on adding and searching content.
  16. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    I think you would be safe betting that it will.
  17. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Just tried the beta but it was unusable, very long pauses every few seconds. The first pause was so long I thought the Tivo froze and I was ready to reset the Tivo.
  18. rdodolak

rdodolak New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    The new search beta did show up on my TiVo around midnight pacific. Now, is there any news on if or when new HD TiVo screens will be coming for the rest of the menus?
  19. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    It might be helpful to explain why 'uniform' width is desired by you.
  20. berkshires

berkshires New Member

Feb 22, 2007
    There is often a problem with 16:9 apps when using a CRT due to overscan causing the loss of some info around the edges.