1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New TiVo rumors?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ghiggz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. ghiggz

ghiggz New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey all, I'm getting ready to ditch my Comcast HD DVR for a TiVo, but before I do, I wanted to check and make sure now is a good time to buy. Has anyone heard any even remotely credible leaks about new TiVo models on the horizon? How far into the product cycle are we exactly? Will we see the equivalent of a series 5 TiVO in 2013?

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I would imagine we will see a XL6 with 6 tuners that will replace the XL4. This makes much more sense considering they are supposed to be releasing the TiVo Mini to support streaming live tv from the main TiVo. Whether or not the new box will be a new gen box or not is unknown. I think the Premiere platform is here to stay for a while but they could introduce beefier hardware in a new box. Of course all this is speculation as no one knows but TiVo at this point.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    One wonders if they will add support for larger and or AF hard drives.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    An extender called the Tivo Mini coming as early as March. Requires a 4-tuner Tivo. It streams recordings and can hijack a tuner from the DVR to watch live TV on it.

We're 3 years into the Premiere lifespan. We're getting closer to a new generation, but we can't really peg a timeframe yet.

There are talks about a 6-tuner model. We don't know if this will be part of the Premiere lineup or a new "Series 5" lineup. But the running theory is that the release would likely be in the fall in either case. Six tuners sounds like a lot, but it makes more sense if you were to use it in conjunction with a Mini or two.

An updated bluetooth slide remote with keyboard coming at some point.

Don't know if you've been keeping up with the current accessories, but there's also the Tivo Stream, which lets you stream recordings (and pseudo-live TV) to iDevices, with android support coming someday (again no timeframe). It streams content only within the home. But if the recording is not copy protected, it can be copied to the device as well, so you can watch it when on the move.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    OK, I'll start one! :)

TiVo Premiere Deluxe coming by Christmas 2014.

It will have 6 tuners, digital cable and OTA compatible with tuning adapter capability built in.
    Wireless and MOCA connections built in.
    Base model will be 2TB, with 3 & 4 TB models to be introduced following.
    Price TBD.

;)

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If the current line is the Tivo Premiere, would not the next gen lineup be.....

The Tivo Encore?

7. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    If you are considering TiVo, just buy it. DO NOT wait for ANYTHING to come out. TiVo development is MINDNUMBINGLY SLOOOOOOOOW. Anything you hear that is "coming" is a LOOOOOOOOOOOng ways off. The XL6 is coming, and so is the Mini, but also is the Zombie Apocalypse.

Feel free to think I am joking, but you'll see for yourself.

8. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    "Fall" when? Surely you mean Fall 2017.......

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well as long as we are going to start (make up?) rumors I have one:

FCC is going to grow a pair and mandate universal software solution for all pay TV providers.

Then TiVo is going to release their Series 5 solution which breaks the traditional DVR into 3 parts, a central control unit, storage, and tuners. You buy the central control unit, what ever size storage you want, and what ever tuners you want, they have 3 & 6 tuner, OTA, Cable, IP, Dish, & Direct units available and your can mix and match them and the central control unit can record up to 6 channels at once.

The central control unit can stream content to any screen you want via a mini for TVs and software for all phones, tablets, and computers and can stream to 6 devices at once. You can also fully control the central control unit and access "live" TV on any tuners from the minis and the phone/tablet/computer software.

Everything is going to be available this fall.

10. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    This is just as realistic as the TiVo Mini being released March 2013.

TiVo should rename the company to "Fantasy Island".

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Threadcrap much?

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    The S3 OLED supports M Cards just fine....I used them in mine....you just have to use two of them....;)

13. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    In exact proportion to my disappointment in this company to deliver fully-functional products. It's just unbelieveable.

14. klj

klj Tivo Challenged

Feb 25, 2010
    it's been a cold, rainy miserable day here. for some reason this made me crack up.. thanks!!

15. MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    No, they should rename it SONY...you know, as in "Soon Only Not Yet!" OH, I heard than name has been taken. :D

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Isn't the correct way to state it that at *first* it will require a 4 tuner Tivo Premiere?

17. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah, "requires a 4-tuner Tivo indefinitely", if you want to get specific, since heck knows when the necessary update will finally make it to product. :)

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Tivo Premieres are fully functional DVRs, they're just not the 'one box' that their spinmeisters promised 3 years ago.

We all agree that the Mini is way behind schedule but as Zatz pointed out this is more political than technical, the tuner allocation issue notwithstanding.

19. NotNowChief

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    The Premiere's are fully-functional today, but not at first when they launched. They were PLAGUED with HDUI problems upon release. I believe it was just the recent fall update that finally made the YouTube "bearable".

The Stream is not. How long has it been out already? Still no Android support.

Even the TiVo app for cell phones was Apple-only for how long before they released the Android version?

It's reasons like this that I say that everything TiVo does is "half-baked".

Their entire production and development is a catch-22. They take forever to develop and implement new products to the marketplace, and when they do, they always are missing something. That starts the debate amongst TCF people about either:

1) "be patient and let them thoroughly test and get it to market"
    OR
    2) "what the heck is taking you people so long to get this done"

So, it seems that TiVo gets their new products to market because their development is so mind-numbingly slow, and then takes another 4 years for them to work out all the bugs.

As much as I'd like a Mini (good luck to us all), I would have rather have had them keep their collective mouths shut about new products, get the multiplatform support completed for the Stream, then devote all resources to the Mini and its dynamic tuner allocation, then work on a next generation box. Nevermind the fact that they are going to "unsell" more of the Minis (to people like me) than they actually "sell" now that we know there will be a subscription or a service agreement for it. Those of us "in the know" (WINK) will just get another used DVR instead of a Mini.

But, I get the feeling that good old scatter-brained TiVo leadership has already started pulling engineering resources from the still incomplete Stream, and incomplete and unreleased Mini in order to start working on their next-gen box. I would expect nothing less.

20. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My advise for those that think TiVo DVRs suck is to not buy one. Enjoy the piece of sh** your cable provider rents you and watch live TV.

The reality is there is one and only one company selling stand alone cable DVR appliances and it is TiVo. TiVo has continued to improve it's products over time and it is likely they will continue to do so. From the recent CNN Money article:
    In the past nine months, TiVo has spent $88.5 billion on research and development, equal to 41% of its total revenue in the period.​

We assume the billion is a typo and should be million but the reality is that spending 41% of revenue on research and development it indicates they are continue to improve products and develop new ones. Tivo is a small company in a niche market "progress" is limited by the reality of the limited market they are in.

If anyone would like to really see what the state of stand alone DVRs could be just check out the Over The Air (OTA) alternative DVRs out there and then come back and tell me how bad TiVo is or how slow they are improving.

Does the above mean I am happy with TiVo's current offerings or rate of improvement/development of course not. But I understand reality.