1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tivo Premiere missing network / broadband features (HDUI, VoD...)

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by djnewlin, Apr 20, 2012.

1. djnewlin

djnewlin New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago suburb
    I purchased a new Tivo Premiere directly from Tivo, and after 1 week, am still missing my Network/Broadband features (e.g., High Definition menus, Video on Demand, etc.).

I tried repeated attempts at setup, connecting to Tivo, rebooting, all to no avail...

I finally called Tivo, and they quickly told me that my box needed to be added to certain "Groups" at the Tivo servers. They said it would take 72 hours. It sounds like Tivo has a major backlog in provisioning new Permiere boxes to receive the Network/Broadband features from their servers.

This is especially frustrating given that I purchased it directly from Tivo. I expected it to arrive pre-activated (it was) and pre-provisioned (it was NOT).

I tried the unchecking and re-checking of the sharing/download boxes from my www.tivo.com account. This had no effect, and my TivoToGo never got to a,a,a, but rather transitioned from i,i,i (when boxes were unchecked online) and i,i,a when they were rechecked.

My System Information shows I am HDUI capable, but that the HDUI was not enabled. Again, more symptoms of not being provisioned at their servers.

Today, when I logged into my on-line tivo account, I now notice this message:
    "...We're still processing your activation...", which is weird, since I was activated earlier in the week. Perhaps this is a sign of progress that I am finally being activated and provisioned for full network-based features.

2. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
  3. mpf541

mpf541 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I bought one one at Best Buy a week ago. It took several calls do tech support until I found a tech that knew what was wrong. And it seems that each one always says it will be 48-72 hours for the change to become effective. While mine is now finally working its hard to believe they can take my money and activate it right away but it can take several phone calls and days of waiting before it works right

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm surprised how they activate them (i.e. charge for service from that date), now, as soon as you buy them. I bought my Premieres directly from Tivo last month and they were activated as of that date, yet I didn't receive them until 10 days later. The warranties and everything started 10 days before I had possession of them.

It wasn't like that when I got my Series 2 Tivos.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    This was the same with my launch Premieres back in March 2010. I remember people complaining about it back then.

6. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Try a router reset and TiVo reset

7. djnewlin

djnewlin New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago suburb
    I tried that, and still no network features. I'm going on 2 weeks now, which is unacceptable, imho...

Time to call Tivo again.

Sigh...

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I'm having the same problem with a Series 3 that has a service level of 5 lifetime and TiVo-to-go is at iii, I have unchecked the boxes on my account forced a few connections to TiVo than a day later checked the two boxes and made a few forced calls to TiVo, no TiVo-to-go. Called TiVo and was told to repeat what i had already done, grrr so i did it again and still no TiVo-to-go, I guess i have to call TiVo again, but now i know there is some problem at TiVos end.

9. Bulldawg9908

Bulldawg9908 New Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Are y'all on monthly subscriptions or lifetime?

I bought a second TiVo on 4/15 with a lifetime subscription, and I did not have this problem with it. (I have issues with the cable card, but that's something else.)

Sorry I don't have a solution, I'm just trying to figure out if it's only monthly subs that have this problem or if it's also lifetime subs.

10. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I had the same thing happen to me, and I had to uncheck the sharing options, on the website, wait for the TiVo to acknowledge that they were unchecked with a status of i,i,i in the TiVoToGo options under System Information, and then recheck them again on the website. I had to reforce a connection and after SEVERAL reboots and forced connections, it finally worked. You will know it works when you see a,a,a in the TiVoToGo option.

If that doesn't, ask for second level support and see if you are opted in, and I was told something about Pre Tivo Service Messages, or PTSCM or something like that. Hope it helps.

11. mpf541

mpf541 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Check and make sure your tiro to go setting is a,a,a Any thing else it will not work and tiro needs to fix it on their end. It took me a few calls to get some one who knew how to escalate this to the people that could fix it.

12. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
  13. djnewlin

djnewlin New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago suburb
    :rolleyes:

After 2+ weeks, my Tivo Premiere has its broadband features enabled (HD menus, VoD, etc.).

This was of course after numerous calls to Tivo support, where they would repeat that I was being added to the ever mysterious "Groups" and it would take "72 hours", done by their engineers, etc.

All of the checking and unchecking of sharing on the Tivo.com website was a complete waste of time. In the end, it all came down to when Tivo's technical staff got through their backlog of provisioning at their end.

The moral? If you love Tivo and are having this same problem, it *will* get resolved... It just may take up to 2 weeks and several calls. But it is a great box with great looking menus, and easy to use network features...

Oh, and btw... they gave me the entire month free of service - I didn't even have to ask...

14. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Thanks for the update. I just got off the phone with CS. The rep confessed the issue was "a little more widespread than we care to admit." He was as helpful as could be, but still couldn't offer any estimation on how long it would take for me to be at 100%, and admitted it has taken longer than he would have thought.

He basically claimed to make sure I was on some list for the fix and gave an apology. So no real progress to report here.

He did mention that all of the checking and unchecking of sharing may or may not help, by the way. We both kind of laughed about it, as it's not achieved much for me.

15. djnewlin

djnewlin New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago suburb
    Did they offer you the month for free? If they didn't, it is a virtual no-brainer and the least they can do after all of this hassle, imho...

16. djnewlin

djnewlin New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago suburb
    I waited until my living room Premiere had its network-based features working, before I took the plunge on a 2nd Premiere for the Master Bedroom.

Well it arrived last night, and much to my (pleasant) surprise, it worked flawlessly! I did the guided setup, it connected to the Tivo servers and downloaded the "Service Update" (20.2.0a), restarted and finished guided setup, and voila! I didn't even have to pick HD menus, as it correctly auto-detected my HD TV capabilities via the HDMI.

Go figure... :D

17. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010

So still no HD menus? That's so strange.

18. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Just offered a suggestion that actually worked for me and my Premiere Elite is up and running, HD menus and all.

19. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I'm up!! 10 days later. djnewlin's experience was making me nervous it would be yet another week, but I made another call last night and the CSR told me an update had been sent overnight.

There were still none of the features, so we rebooted. Still nothing. He suggested waiting a little longer and I was having even more doubts, but after yet another forced connection everything was working. I spent the rest of the evening dialing things in, inculding pyTivo and the TiVo iPad app.

'twas glorious.

I ended up with a free month of TiVo service and a gift code for 3 months of Hulu Plus service. Keep in mind this was my second box in two weeks. The firsts setup process went smoothly and took only minutes, but its hard drive failed after just two days.

No offense intended, bud. No doubt it worked for you, and I made several attempts myself. It may have ended up working for me, I just found humor in the extent to which we were having to take things. I'd been willing to stand on one leg donning a tinfoil hat, if someone had given the suggestion.

Thanks.

20. supie

supie New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I have the same problem after several calls I am also on the list to be corrected by Tivo and now it has been 72 hours.

My question is when they finally do get you on the groups list do you have to keep forcing Network Connections?

Also do you have to uncheck Video Sharing and Video Downloads wait 2 hours, force Network Connections, then recheck Video Sharing Video Downloads wait 2 hours, force Network Connections, or does it update to a,a,a automatically?