1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Series 4 Tivo stutters at times

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Debbie25, May 21, 2013.

1. Debbie25

Debbie25 New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    I have had my Series 4 Tivo for about 4 months now.

For the past month or so when watching a recorded show it will get into a series of stutters. Meaning it will stutter for a few secs. then is fine for about 15 secs then does it again and will do this for a couple of mins at a time.

Now the weird part is.... I can rewind and repeat the same scenes and it won't stutter at the same time as before so I wouldn't think it is the Hard Drive.

This is happening on at least 3 different channels.

2. maintainin

maintainin New Member

May 9, 2013
    It could still be the hard drive. You are correct that the actual data saved on the hard drive platter probably isn't corrupted since it is not happening at the same point in the shows but the randomness could mean that the read head or some other component of the hard drive is going bad.

3. Debbie25

Debbie25 New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    Good point.
    I will contact Tivo.

I hope I can get it exchanged under warranty with the symptoms it is having.

4. TZR916

TZR916 New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Sacramento
    Likely a replacement will do the same thing. Figured it has to do with Tivo downloading/sorting data & processor maxing out... see this topic-
    Do All Tivo's Stutter...

5. Debbie25

Debbie25 New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Oregon
    TZR916
    Very good post... Thx.

It makes sense that it could be happening while it is indexing.
    I will check and see if it is when it starts stuttering the next time.

Others say that they just manually have it connect for that day before going to bed so it does not interrupt there record watching the next day.

When it comes down to it.... I figure it could be the CPU overload of everything going on and they need to beef this up or could be in the Software upgrade.
    Does anyone know how much memory and/or video memory is in the Premiere?

Hopefully they can fix it without having to purchase another Tivo a couple years later to get the better CPU or such to handle what it should.

6. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I think the stuttering bug was introduced in the Fall Update.

I have had the Spring Update for a few days and I have not noticed the bug yet.