1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sepinwall article on the origins of Lost

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Turtleboy, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
  2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'd heard bits & pieces of that story before, but never as complete as that. Very interesting read.

Thanks for posting!

3. dtle

dtle Active Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Wow, Jack was supposed to die, kinda like Babylon 5.

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Who would have thought that George Costanza's childhood arch rival thought up Lost?

Excellent article. When you think about the short time frame, it amazes me that the pilot, to me, was one of the gripping pieces of TV I have ever watched. I was hooked after that first 7 minute sequence.

5. ToddNeedsTiVo

ToddNeedsTiVo Shampoo is not toxic

Sep 1, 2003
    Ankeny, IA
    I'm still pissed about the cockamamie resolution of that show.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Great piece. I assume this is just the beginning of the LOST chapter in the book. Hopefully the book has a lot more.

I've wanted to get the book and read it, but I've only seen about half the shows it talks about, so I'm not sure it makes sense to only read certain chapters of the book.

7. kcarl75

kcarl75 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    I only read the chapters of the shows I watched. (I skipped maybe two or three)

They are self contained. So you are not missing anything. He has really good interviews for each show. I highly recommend the book.

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Cool, thanks. I'll put it on my list.

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Does it have pictures/graphics, or is it ok to read on a Kindle?

10. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I know. Everyone has their own opinion of it obviously--some people absolutely loved it and some completely hated it. I'm in the second group. I wish I wasn't because until that last season, Lost was as good as TV gets for me. No other show made me that crazy with fandom.

But the last season put a damper on the whole experience. I don't believe the "it's all about the journey and the ending doesn't matter" school of thought, personally. If you don't like the way something ends up, no matter how great the rest of it was, that last experience is gonna be the one that resonates the most.

Doesn't mean it made the rest of the show crap or anything--it consistently had the best writing, most creative storytelling devices, and top-notch acting on TV. I learned some things as far as story crafting that I'm gonna use for as long as I'm writing, so it is what it is.

I'm gonna read through this though--I love reading about how things come to be. It's always crazy how far what we end up seeing is from what they start with at the inception of the idea.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I didn't read this article, but I thought that has been 'well known' for a long timeĀ… (Just like how Julianna Marguilles' character died in the first 'er'.. but they miraculously brought her back after that.)

12. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Yes

I'd bought the 1st 5 seasons on Blu-Ray in eager anticipation to re-live the journey and the wonderful characters but given the way the out of the blue denouement made 90% of what had happened in previous seasons totally pointless it robbed me of any desire to watch. They remain unopened.

Yet I really enjoyed reading the article posted by the OP. Thank you.

13. kcarl75

kcarl75 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Southern NH
    No pictures that I can remember. Ok for the Kindle.

14. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Yeah, I had been planning to rewatch the whole thing and have a bunch of wonderful, "aha! So that's how that fit in" moments. After the final season and the finale, I'll never watch another Lost episode.

15. ToddNeedsTiVo

ToddNeedsTiVo Shampoo is not toxic

Sep 1, 2003
    Ankeny, IA
    I agree with you.

Lost was about as "appointment TV" as you could get. It had the buzz. It prompted all the watercooler talk. Season breaks seemed so long. The eagerness to see how it all would be wrapped up, and the various "properties" of the island explained.

Suffice it to say it didn't really work out that way. :(

16. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm also in the camp that I didn't like the way it turned out, and that was mostly because of the handling of Jacob / Man in Black. Then ending...finale, was fine in context to the last season, and as I look back on it, I like it more and more (much like people hated the Seinfeld finale, but the more I watch in on reruns the more fun I think it was). That said, i felt that we got jerked around for 4 seasons on one story, which I loved, and then, we were set on a completely different course that seemed to have little to do with the other four years, and made those 4 years seem minor in comparison. Still, those first 4 years were about as good as TV gets.

17. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Didn't mind the LA as Purgatory reunion but the island story with Jacob/MIB stuff was totally contrary to the rules set up by the series creator as described in the article, q.v. the mysteries had to be "scientific" which includes speculative sci fi concepts.. The out of nowhere brother we'd never heard of for 5 seasons banished to a glowing cave emerging as a smoke monster is pure fantasy. Even Ronald Moore in his Jack Daniels fueled BSG plot holes got outdone by the LOST finale train wreck.

18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I've always thought people need to let go of bitterness about the ending and realize they were never going to be satisfied. On that premise, you can take the ending for what it was, which was pretty beautiful.

19. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I thought it apparent by the second season that Lost wasn't ever going to make any sense, which is why I stopped watching it at that point. They were already piling riddles upon riddles upon riddles that couldn't possibly add up to anything even remotely plausible, except something tired and lame, like it was all a dream or some alternate universe or some other such nonsense. It's a shame because it could have been a great show if they had just had some more discipline with the storytelling.