1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Season of Merlin on Syfy

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by iowacyclone, Dec 31, 2010.

1. iowacyclone

iowacyclone New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Ames, IA
    The third seaon on Merlin begins airing on Syfy Jan 7th. On my to do list its not being recorded as its marked as a rerun. Any reason why this would be? Or how to get it fixed? Be nice not having to record all of episodes aired and having to delete all the ones I've seen already.

2. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I set a season pass for First Run and nothing came up so I just set episode 301 to record. I don't know why it is not working either.

3. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    The original air date on the episode is from September 2010. It's possible the season already aired in Canada which would cause it to be seen as a rerun by Tivo.

4. Jan 1, 2011 #4 of 58
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Crud, that means the season pass doesn't work for the more convenient First Run. I guess I will reset it for First Run and Repeats and just weed as I go.

5. Jan 1, 2011 #5 of 58
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Epguides shows that the entire season completed on BBC1 on December 10th 2010. The dates match what Tivo has for The Tears of Uther etc.

6. Jan 1, 2011 #6 of 58
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, Tribune often uses the real Original Air Date, and not the Original American Air Date. Which makes sense if you don't have a TiVo, which of course most people don't...

7. Jan 1, 2011 #7 of 58
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If only there were something similar to a computer involved that already had the info on where the viewer lived and which channels they receive so it could figure out which episodes were new from the viewer's point of view.

8. Jan 1, 2011 #8 of 58
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You're being sarcastic, but does the guide data even HAVE country of origin info?

(Again, this would be a nice idea, but there are SO MANY things at least _I_ think would be better.. A simple one would be a per-SP choice of 'new/old' for how to treat guide-data-less episodes. i.e. that would likely fix the Daily Show problem.)

Plus, you already have a workaround -- record new & old episodes.

9. Jan 1, 2011 #9 of 58
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If only that thing that's kind of like a computer and has the viewer's location info could connect on a regular basis to another computery thing that could have a database of which episodes of which shows have been aired in which locations on which channels.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL!!!!! I am always weeding SPs like Daily Show etc. At least once I weeded the old Merlin episodes, the new to the US ones only have one recording at a time so it is acting like a first run SP. Later, I will weed repeats that show up that are older than 28 days.
    I shouldn't have to though.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Crap. Of course, they have to run a Merlin marathon on the 7th so I can't switch my SP to first run and repeats until after the first episode - if I remember.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You DIDN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION. DOES THE GUIDE DATA THAT TIVO USES EVEN HAVE COUNTRY INFO IN IT?

If it doesn't, there's no way, without completely changing how Tivos work, to make what you suggest happen.

(BTW, S2 is on netflix on 1/18/2011)

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't ask me, ask Tribune Media Services.

However, if TiVo sends my machines the info that episode "x" of television show "y" aired on cable channel "z" that I receive where I live, then if they kept that info in a databse, the next time that episode was scheduled to be aired by any of the channels that TiVo sends me guide data on, they could and would know that, from the point of view of me and my season passes, it's a re-run.

14. Eddief66

Eddief66 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Corpus...
    According to zap2it next weeks second half is new but my tivo doesn't have it scheduled to record. It's probably because I scheduled the first half manually and tivo has both halfs with the same title.

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That is why I ended up doing repeats and first run and just weeded anything I had already viewed. Since they don't seem to be showing last season episodes past the week of the pilot this ought to not be a hassel.

16. jasonander

jasonander Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Thanks for the heads up. Tribune has really been screwing up SyFy guide data recently... first Caprica, and now Merlin.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although technically they're not screwing up...they're getting it right in a way that's not useful (we don't actually WANT the OAD; we want the OAAD).

Hopefully, as more shows go international and as more people depend on DVRs to get their programming, Tribune will realize that they need to get it wrong in useful ways. :D

18. jasonander

jasonander Member

Jan 9, 2005
    If I have a season pass set to record a first-run show only, and this is the first time the show has ever aired in this country, and my Tivo doesn't record it, then in my eyes as a consumer of this product it's a screw-up. If a show aired earlier in other countries, that should not affect a "first-run only" season pass; the original air date needs to be based on the country where it's airing. So either Tivo needs to fix this bug or Tribune needs to fix their guide data to be accurate for each country. I filed a lineup issue with Tribune on this but I doubt they'll do anything about it... Tivo and Tribune will probably be playing the finger-pointing game that it's the other company's problem and this issue won't get fixed, which is bad for us. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I checked with family who have the Time Warner DVR and it has the same problem as Tivo: Merlin was not set to record even with a first-run series recording.

19. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    My Doc Martin on KCET and Tutors on BBCA had to be set as First Run and Repeats in order to work. Tutors was on a pay cable channel so I expected it to act like a first run on a basic cable channel and same with Doc Martin.

20. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I believe this airs after wrestling tonight so padding should be added.