1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW: Search the Netflix Instant Watch catalog using TiVo Search on your TiVo HD DVR.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gonzotek, Nov 20, 2009.

1. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
  2. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    I take it this means you'll be able to search and add movies/shows to your netflix instant watch queue from your Tivo HD? It specifically says search, but conveniently doesn't mention the ability to add. If you can add then I give it a big :up:. If it is only search I give it a big :rolleyes:.

3. gonzotek

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Good Question :) When I get home in about 30 minutes, I'll test. I would hope if it isn't able to modify the queue yet, that you would at least be able to start instantly watching. Otherwise, what's the point? ;)

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Is this something that you'd have to connect to the Tivo Service to get, or will it automagically appear? Regardless, I'm forcing a couple of connections for good measure! ;)

5. motorcycle_rider

motorcycle_rider New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Well I was able to use the search and start a netflix stream using this method. This will be a nice feature as alot of times my daughter has friends over and they always ask is something is available on netflix.

6. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    Just tested this. Very nice!

7. gonzotek

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Ok, it showed up finally. I had done two connects (waited till it said it was done loading) and wasn't getting results. Now it is working...however I can't seem to find The IT Crowd (a britcom by the people who did The Office). I've been watching these exclusively through my Netflix Queue, so I know Netflix has them available. Anybody else have examples of stuff Netflix has available that isn't turning up in TiVo Search?

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Just tried it. It seems to work very well.

9. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Only thing from my instant queue that was found in a search was Dexter. I tried at least ten other movies and found none listed.

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Great news. I'm not a Netflix subscriber, but having this capability will make it easier to judge whether it would be worthwhile.

11. gonzotek

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    I'm thinking the dataset from Netflix is incomplete. My wild guess is that if the program is in Amazon(and maybe Blockbuster, Jaman, CinemaNow) or on traditional tv at the moment then it will also show up as available on Netflix. Has anyone found a search result that is ONLY available on Netflix?

If I'm right, hopefully they can fill in the missing data quickly. Even missing stuff, it's nice to be able watch something immediately, and finally a strong reason for me to use TiVo Search over the other ways of finding content on TiVo.

12. leedalton67

leedalton67 New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I have connected to the TIVO service three times and still can't get this to show up. Any other suggestions?

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    :up::up::)

I just signed up for NetFlix last night and I'm still reeling from how cool that is .. this is just icing. If I decide to give up cable, I now know I can be quite satisfied with OTA + NetFlix + YouTube + Amazon.....

14. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I had falsely thought that it was an option in the Netflix Video On Demand application. It is only an additional source for Tivo Search to use. A movie I started to stream was not added to my Instant Queue. I have not attempted to re-stream the same movie to see if the "resume" option is available or not. I would be pleasantly surprised if that option was there, but I'm not counting on it.

15. orangeboy

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Ha! I'm pleasantly surprised! "Resume Playing" is available! :up:

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It's not a new application. It uses TiVo Search under Find Programs.

17. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    It must have always been there in 11.0d, just waiting for NetFlix to do it's part.

18. jaredmwright

jaredmwright New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    A very useful feature would be the ability to not only add to your Netflix instant queue from the new search, but to add to now playing list.

This would be a great differentiator for TiVo to be able to integrate Netflix shows in the Now Playing list with Amazon, Blockbuster, Jaman and normally recorded shows. I would hope that this is something they are looking into. While it is nice having a single Netflix folder at the bottom of our Now Playing list, it would be more useful to have individual shows mixed in with all of the other content to unify the experience and have them sorted by date added to Netflix. Similarly, it would be great if we could add a youtube video to our now playing list, or at least a youtube folder which contained favorites.

19. heberman

heberman New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Utah Desert
    I'm in the process of making the switch now. I'm cancelling Directv and will be relying completely upon OTA + Netflix + Amazon + Hulu streaming via Playon. Total ongoing monthly cost after buying equipment: About $30/month for 2 Tivos and Netflix fees.

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It looks like television series on Netflix aren't showing up (such as Doctor Who).

Scott