1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roamios with clear QAM?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by HarperVision, Aug 21, 2013.

1. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    The title says it all, will these work with clear QAM and no Cablecard?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. TiVo has never worked properly with clear QAM and I don't expect them to have changed that.

3. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I knew that but was hoping maybe the base model would have it since it supports atsc ota. A guy can dream can't he? ;)

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The base model supports OTA or Cable, it does not support both. It only has one coax input and you have to pick OTA or Cable during setup.

5. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yeah I realize that, but I'm asking if when you select cable you can set it up without a Cablecard and use it with whatever clear qam signals you can pickup on your cable line.

6. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I seriously doubt it. In the past you could setup a TiVo without a CableCARD and manually tune the QAM channels but you couldn't get any guide data for them so it wasn't very useful. The guide data is all keyed to the mapped channel numbers used by the CableCARD not the actual QAM channels.

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    If it does work without a cablecard, chances are it'd be the same as before and it wouldn't have guide data for the clear QAM channels.

Edit: what Dan said.

8. HarperVision

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Yeah I remember that. I was hoping maybe it'd be like most PC QAM tuners and allow you to tell it which qam channel maps to each real channel manually.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's more of a software change. I doubt there is enough demand for that for TiVo to ever invest the development resources to add it.

10. bucm4sko24wle2mi

bucm4sko24wle2mi New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    My thoughts exactly!

11. apw2607

apw2607 New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    The new Roamio work exactly like that too. You get the channels fine but no mapping to actual channels means no channel data and everything else that's dependent on it, like what to watch now

12. alansh

alansh New Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    TiVo has decided that the way to map clear QAM is... install a cable card, which does it automatically.

Anything else means software development and support costs, and they just don't think it's something that will sell more TiVos.

13. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    There was no logical reason to expect this in the Roamio, and there is no reason to expect it in any future model of TiVo, either.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    On the other hand, you can do this.

15. jonnyfive

jonnyfive New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    So if I plug my TV straight into the wall, I get a bunch of channels (I'm assuming this is from the digital tuner in my TV??). However, I can't get my tivo connected because it won't work at all without a cablecard (I don't pay for any cable service, just COX internet). If I get one of the ebay cablecards, will I then be able to tune my tivo to all these same channels as my TV is getting?!

16. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Possibly.

17. Farplaner

Farplaner New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    I just did this with FiOS. While waiting for the installer with the CableCard I was able to get clearQAM channels with the Roamio Plus. I just needed to do a channel scan.

Also iPad streaming didn't work directly. But I can do recording and them stream it manually.

18. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    You can tune the channels without a card, but they won't be mapped to their correct numbers, so the guide data will be useless. (They also have a tendency to go missing after a while, requiring a rescan, at least with the non-TiVo tuners I've tried with Fios clear QAM.)

19. jonnyfive

jonnyfive New Member

Jul 7, 2014
    So with an ebay cablecard, it will add guide functionality?

I tried scanning channels back when I got the Roamio using the "add cablecard later" option. It found hundreds of channels, but after flipping through a bunch and none of them working, I figured they'd all be that way. Are you saying some of them do work?

20. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Of those hundreds of QAM channels you found, most (maybe all?) of them were encrypted, and therefore not clear QAM channels. Some cable companies do send through the local broadcast channels unencrypted (aka "in the clear"), so it is likely that if you had tuned to those channels they would have tuned properly.

A CableCard bought off ebay should do the channel mapping which will make the guide data functional, assuming that you have an active TiVo subscription.