1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Roamio Pro Stuck in Reboot Loop during setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tlwizard, Apr 26, 2014.

1. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    I purchased a new Roamio a few months ago directly from Tivo, but I just now unboxed it to install after my Premiere XL4 year of monthly sub stopped.

I installed the cable card fine, got it paired, and started guided setup. Downloaded the update and said it was going to install and restart a few times.

I'm not sure if it installed or not, but eventually when I came back in the room the Tivo was at the "Welcome!" screen where I have to choose the country. If I leave it on that screen, the Tivo will reboot on its own after about 30 seconds. If I go all the way through, it will reboot while trying to connect on "Getting Info" and get back to that screen again.

I've tried with the cablecard inserted and with it removed.

I've replaced the power cable.

I've unplugged for a minute and replugged in as well.

Is this a hard drive issue? Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Thanks for any and all help.

2. TEG

TEG New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Whidbey...
    I am currently in the same boat. I have to wait until I get home to call TiVo Support, but hopefully they have an answer.

I've tried Kickstarting it into Recovery mode, with to effect. I left it to go to work running an SMART test. Hopefully, I'll have something to add later.

3. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Some more info

Did a Kick Start 54 and the hd passed the smart test plus a couple of the shorter tests and then I cancelled out.

When I disconnected the Ethernet cable, the unit did not reboot. I setup the wireless and then once it went to connect to the service, it started rebooting again.

4. dlee0708

dlee0708 New Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Lewisville, TX
    I am running the Hard-drive S.M.A.R.T. test on my Roamio Plus 150 hour Tivo (no 2nd drive) and the first 4 tests took around 7 hours to run (not exactly sure how long) and the last Off-line scan has taken 12 hours so far and is still running. I am curious if when you get back from work if it's still running or not and exact Roamio you have (Plus with 150 hours or additional hard drive space etc).

-Don

5. TEG

TEG New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Whidbey...
    So, I called TiVo, but since I'm at work I haven't tried it yet, but they recommended connecting directly to the modem/router. I'm using bridged Airports to provide an Ethernet connection for the TiVo. If that fails to try a Kickstart 56 to try to force the software to be updated.

6. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    I personally haven't been able to get Kickstart 51, 52, or 56 to do anything. When I did 58, it said it was installing an update and then went back to the welcome screen and rebooted again.

7. rferebee

rferebee New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Same problem here. I'm starting the third reboot.

8. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Everyone here who is having the problem, did you just turn it on for the first time today?

I think it has something to do with the network. Because the only time it won't reboot is if i'm disconnected from the network. I've tried wireless, direct to router, direct to modem. It all reboots.

The first time it connected to the internet though it went through the whole process, connected to Tivo, downloaded info, and loaded it as far as I could tell. But now it's stuck in this reboot hell. Wasted my whole Saturday so far.

From my research, it appears 51 and 52 don't do anything for Roamio. In my situation, 57 and 58 haven't made a different, although something does happen when I use them. But 56 isn't causing anything to happen, whether or not I'm connected to the internet.

Edit to add: When I run Kickstart 57, the green screen comes up and says it will run for 3 hours. But it only runs for a few minutes.

9. bankshot

bankshot New Member

May 28, 2009
    I had exactly the same thing earlier this week. Brand new Roamio Plus consistently rebooted every 2 minutes and ~45 seconds when the ethernet cable was plugged in. Could never get through the Guided Setup process. Wifi either failed to connect, or also caused a reboot, albeit after a longer period of time.

I called TiVo support yesterday and went through about 20 minutes if troubleshooting steps: plugging it directly into the wall instead of a power strip, directly into my router instead of a switch, different ethernet cable, wifi, component video instead of HDMI, etc. Nothing resolved the issue.

By the end of the call, TiVo authorized a replacement unit. It will arrive on Wednesday. I'm bummed that I didn't get to put my new Roamio through its paces this weekend, but fingers are crossed that it's a hardware problem specific to this first unit.

It is interesting to note that this is happening to multiple people around the same time. Bad hardware batch, or worse - software bug triggered in conjunction with an issue with TiVo's service? In the latter case, maybe a replacement wouldn't fix it...

By the way, in my research, I found a thread at TiVo's support forum from 2 weeks ago about this exact issue. Both customers there had their units replaced, but no followup on whether that resolved it.
    http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...D=11184364&channelID=10&portalPageId=10432560

10. rferebee

rferebee New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    I also tried for the first time today. After 3 reboots I'm going to bed and I'll try again tomorrow. So much for modern technology.

11. TEG

TEG New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Whidbey...
    It appears, so long as the TiVo isn't connected to the Internet, it will keep restarting. If I disable DHCP it will work, but of course you can't set them up that way.

12. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    TEG, can you try starting the overnight test with kickstart 54? You can always cancel by hitting clear if it starts. Mine won't start. It says it fails.

I have this feeling that for whatever reason, our updates wiped the partitions where things get installed.

Is there a way to perform a factory reset at all?

13. TEG

TEG New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Whidbey...
    I can try tonight when I get home. I'm going to call TiVo and start the RMA process, but will try it afterwards, and see what I get.

14. wordmike15

wordmike15 New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I am experiencing the same problems. Plugged in Roamio Plus and proceeded to go through guided setup. About halfway through the process, the unit rebooted. Contacted Tivo and arranged to have a replacement unit shipped. Curious to see if this issue is across the Roamio line, and if it affects both stock units and units with upgraded hard drives.

15. gbruyn

gbruyn New Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Wow! I thought I was the only one! I had a brand new replacement Tivo Roamio Plus come this week and was having the same issue. Sent it back yesterday and am waiting for the replacement unit. Didn't think it would be a network issue, but perhaps the updated software is corrupt or something. It would be interesting if anyone is able to fix it without getting a replacement box.

16. rferebee

rferebee New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Just got off the phone with Tivo. They said this was a "known issue" with some of the boxes and they are researching a solution. Told me to sit tight until I hear back from them. Technology once again yanks my chain.

17. tlwizard

tlwizard New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Spoke to Tivo this morning and they're sending me a replacement. I certainly hope it's a new unit and not a refurbished one. I didn't have to tell her very much, she basically said right away they would exchange it.

I asked if this had anything to do with the update being corrupted (or the one that was getting rolled back) and she said that the update didn't actually fully download. Based on her quick offer of the exchange, it's clearly not something new for them.

I will say, in the 14 years I've owned Tivo, and on my 10th Tivo, this is the first major issue I've ever had. Only other issue I've ever had was a failed hard drive four years into the life of one of them. I've always had a great experience with their customer service, their products, and the Tivo Community here. But I really really really hope this next one works.

18. turt

turt New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I bought a new in box from someone on craigslist and I'm having the same problem. Now what?

19. rferebee

rferebee New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Based on what they told me they still don't know what's causing the issue. I wonder if a new box with the same software load will have the same problems?

20. bankshot

bankshot New Member

May 28, 2009
    Yeah, that's my fear. The issue seems to have just cropped up in the last few weeks. If it's a software issue of any kind, it may be affecting all recent Roamios, in which case a replacement unit won't help. I'm still hoping it's just a recent bad batch of hardware.

My replacement box is due to arrive on Wednesday, so I'll post back with any status, good or bad. Hopefully they tested it before sending it out!