1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Premiere 4 can't see Tivo Desktop, but old Tivo HD can?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dammad, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1 of 14
    dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I've a Tivo HD and a new Premiere. I've transferred some shows from my THD to my PC with Tivo Desktop Plus (2.8.3), but Premiere does not show the PC at the bottom of the Now Playing List? It only shows the THD. The THD shows the PC in the Now Playing list without problems.

Does the Premiere work with Tivo Desktop Plus?

Ideally I'm looking for the easiest way to transfer content from the old THD to the Premiere. I've over 180 items on the THD so manual will be very painful. Need an automated means to move them from one to another.

2. Feb 4, 2013 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you get a new Tivo, and after you subscribe/add it to your Tivo.com account, Go to DVR Preferences and check (or make sure) the boxes for TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS for all your Tivos. New Tivos need up to 24 hours to get the Media Access Key and get transfers enabled.

You can only make manual transfers, one at a time, but if you use PyTivo with KMTTG, you can "push" videos from the computer to Tivo without having to get to the Tivo and "pull".

3. Feb 4, 2013 #3 of 14
    lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    In addition to the good info above, if you change the Tivo name on the website, it will get updated in the Tivo at the next data download but it will not be available to other devices on your network until the Tivo is restarted. That can keep the new Tivo from being seen by the other Tivo and by your computer. Not sure if that would keep the PC Movies folder from showing up in the new Tivo.

4. Feb 4, 2013 #4 of 14
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you use kmttg & pyTivo to push to the premiere, it will take more than twice as long since everything has to go through the computer and you are dependent on the TiVo Mind server. You Also lose most of the metadata. Any new recordings of a series will not group with pushed episodes.

5. Feb 5, 2013 #5 of 14
    dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I had them checked already, so I deselected them last night and will reselect them now.. Perhaps it got messed as when the new premiere got commissioned.

6. Feb 5, 2013 #6 of 14
    dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    yes I feared as much. Want to keep the groups and metadata.

Are there any filesystem tools that could copy the .tivo files between drives if I connect them to the same PC?

7. Feb 5, 2013 #7 of 14
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I take it what you are really asking is if there is any to use a PC to directly copy recordings from one TiVo drive to another and put the copy in a different TiVo and have access to those recordings, the answer is no, it can't be done.

8. Feb 6, 2013 #8 of 14
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sent from a mobile device? :D;)

9. Feb 6, 2013 #9 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Looks foreign to me. :D:p

10. malayphred

malayphred Underpowered User

Jan 29, 2007
    Las Vegas
  11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes. While I was playing poker.:eek:

12. malayphred

Jan 29, 2007
    Las Vegas
    HaHa

What is "TivoAxe"?

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    My sig line is a "modified" quote of a line spoken by thé character "Sam Axe" in the "Burn Notice" opening.

14. malayphred

Jan 29, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Oh - LOL

I thought it might be a cool app that I was missing out on :)