1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Pandora App?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by steinbch, Jan 11, 2014.

1. steinbch

steinbch Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Has anyone gotten access to the new Pandora app? I've tried forcing a connection and restarting the Roamio, but I still have the same old interface. The App Update announcement made it seem like we'd be getting the new HTML5 interface. All I see is the standard TiVo pandora interface.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Haven't seen it either. However, I'm fine with the existing HME Pandora App as it has always worked well for me and I use it a lot. It's one of the best HME apps TiVo has released.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Does the new Pandora app support DIAL? I know Pandora mobile apps support Chromecast so it would be cool if the TiVo app can be controlled from Android/iOS.

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was just going to ask this same question.

I see it listed in the Discovery Bar, but Pandora looks the same to me. It works fine now, I hope the update does not mess too much with it's operation. I do not like the Pandora App on my SamsungTV, it has Tabs across the top for the stations, I hope that is not the app we will be getting.

I would rather see the new HuluPlus UI, Rhapsody has a new HTML5 UI now too.

5. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I assume this is what we will be getting, as it is the same on the Samsung TV.
    https://tv.pandora.com/

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep this is one of those apps that I wished they never updated, because it's probably the best one they have.

7. jgametest

jgametest New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Never mind, I have already sent 3 connections to TiVo and rebooted 4 times that made no difference. My thinking, this may come down the line either late tonight or early tomorrow. It also seems to be that many apps will start coming down the pipe with the TiVo's being on one version. I can't confirm, but in the description of TiVo.com/apps it says Pandora is available for Series 2-5. No impact to me, but for those that have no updated it could be a goodbye to the app or another nudge to try Live365 again.

8. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
  9. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Look in Showcases.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  12. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I received the new Pandora UI on my Minis and Roamio Pro tonight. I just noticed the message about the new Pandora is not listed in the Showcases on my Premieres.

Currently, both Pandora Apps are listed and both work, I assume the old one will disappear in a few days.

I really do not like the new UI, but oh well, it works...

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I got it too. Even weirder is it remembers me from back when I tried running the XBox version through kmttg. I didn't even have to log-in. It immediately started playing the "station" I was attempting to play months ago via the Xbox version.

I also have the old one listed. I've never used that one so it doesn't have me logged in. I also have two copies of Spotify, but they seem to launch the same app. Or maybe one is HTML5 and the other is Air and they just look the same? I don't use that either so I've never looked at it before.

Seems like most of the apps are being converted to HTML5. Which is a good thing in my opinion as they run way better on a Premiere then the old Air apps and look better then the HME apps.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I hope they leave the HME version accessible but I doubt it will stick around for long...

15. Headford

Headford New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I now both have old and new Pandora and Spotify apps. New one with new icon at top of music app list -- old one below Spotify apps.

Seems Pandora is streamlining and making UI uniform and minimalistic across platforms. Least common denominator effect -- TiVo users now have an underpowered and unattractive UI. Navigation back and forth to top right and then to controls for individual songs is not easy (you need to keep squinting to see what is highlighted -- you used to be able to easily control app from a far distance).

Let's hope they allow us who prefer Coke Classic to keep old one and not force the focus group tested New Coke down our throats.

16. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    I currently have the new version as well as the old.

Things I noticed:

1) I had to sign-in again. PITA on the basic remote control.
    2) UI looks OK. I'm listening now, hoping that the "screen saver" type display kicks in at some point. I have a plasma TV, and still want to avoid any screen burn-in OK - Screen Saver kicked in after about 6 minutes. Looks better/clearer than the old UI here.
    3) Can't use Channel Up/Down to page-up/page-down the list of stations. I have 3 pages of stations on the new UI.
    4) - And the biggest issue: How do you exit back to TiVo Central? I'm using to hitting the left directional to leave Pandora back to TiVo Central in the older UI. Left directional just looks me through the 5 pandora controls. If I hit back, I go back to Live TV. The TiVo button will get me back there, but I have to change my habits. Oh well, progress, right?

So -- does feedback go to Pandora, or TiVo? Any preferred method/email address been published for that?]

John

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I am also testing new version out now. As with anything new there is a learning curve but I don't see anything major that will make me like this version more or less than the older one.

Screen saver kicked in during the 4th song from the start (third after I stopped messing with remote) after skipping a song it kicked in again during the third song.

The channel up button skips to the next song if anyone cares.

Also after going back and forth between the new and old app, I can say with certainty that on my Roamio the new app is more responsive.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    What happened to bookmark functionality?

19. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I like the new app so far. They do need to add some more button mappings (numbers in keypad entry, channel up/down for scrolling, and back for exiting). But other than that, it is quite nice and it loads really fast for me.

20. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    Interesting observation.

I've had Pandora running for 3 hours now. The music just stopped, and the screen saver switched to a box with a message asking if I was still listening. The message went on to say that they pay for music that is played, and that they don't want to play to an empty room.

Seems reasonable.