1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Netflix app not streaming consistently

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JfNebraska, May 11, 2012.

1. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    I posted part of this issue in another thread, but I now have an official complaint to lodge against the new Netflix app.

Rather than letting you pick a resolution and get a sufficient buffer before it starts playing, the app appears to jump between resolutions depending on how much buffer it has. As a consequence, when you first start playing a movie, it's in SD (or worse), then it appears to jump to 1080i, then to 1080p/24 depending on the speed of your internet connection and the size of the accumulated buffer.

But here's the problem. I have my TiVo connected to the web via a powerline ethernet adapter that tests at a speed of 20/Mbps. Despite this, watching a movie on Netflix yesterday was unworkable, as the app kept changing resolutions (once every ten minutes or so), resulting in a loss of audio and video during each change and a blackout period of 10 seconds or more. The movie also seemed to skip ahead more than the 10 seconds during each blackout (i.e., it seemed to resume about a minute later).

The video quality was VERY impressive when I was getting 1080P/24. On my 100" rear projection setup, it looked like a Bluray, which is the highest praise I can give. But, despite having what seems to be a pretty good ethernet connection, I couldn't maintain the 1080P/24 stream.

I'm going to experiment with increasing my cable modem service to 50 Mbps, just to see if that solves the problem. But it really is a shame that such a good app seems to have such a significant design flaw. It really should pick a resolution and stick to it (even if it has to pause for buffering), as I think all other implementations of Netflix I own (AppleTV and PS3) do.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Try changing your DNS servers IP addresses in your router to the Google ones.(8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) That should help.

I had several Netflix streams going concurrently last night on my TiVos. All were streaming in 1080P24 with no issues. Once they got to 1080P24 they stayed there without falling back to a lower resolution.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The only way to fix this is to disable 1080p in your settings. There will be no resolution switching if you disable 1080p so you will not lose video or audio when the bitrate changes (of course you will only get 720p or 1080i though). Unfortunately, this is the problem with the Premiere only supporting 1080p pass-thru.

4. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    Thanks Aaron. I am pretty home theater savvy, but not so ethernet setup savvy, so I have a couple of questions.

I am using a Mac Time Capsule as my router. Would I change those settings from within the Airport Utility on my Mac? Do I have to change anything on each computer hooked to the router or on the modem to have that work properly?

5. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San...
    I'm not Aaron and I'm not a Mac guy, but in general, here's the deal.

If your router is also your DHCP server and your computers and other IP devices are connecting with DHCP (a typical situation), then you need only change the DNS address for the router and it will supply it to the DHCP clients the next time they request services. So, change the DNS in the router and then force the IP devices to reconnect by rebooting or something similar to the Windows commands "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" if for a computer.

That's the general idea, anyway.

6. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    100 inches?! WOW! Amazing. :eek: :up:

I think you might try going into the settings (Video) and selecting only the 1080i resolution and see how it behaves then as someone else suggested above. This should prevent the annoying blackouts.

7. dave13077

dave13077 Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I have been playing around with the new Netflix app a bit and have one question and one issue I have been having.

First the question: Is there anyway to have the Netflix folder put back into the "My shows" folder? The option seemed to disappear with the update.

The one problem I have had with both my regular Premier and Elite is a couple of times when I press the clear button to exit Netflix the screen goes black and nothing happens. If I press the Tivo button I can get the menus back. Sometimes when I hit clear it will go to the menus by itself. Anyone else have this issue. BTW I am using the SD menus.

OT: Is it just me or is the "live TV" option not available in the HD menus? Since I have one HD TV and one SD TV I have been using the SD menus to be consistent for the family. But when I was playing around with the HD menus I seem to remember there was not a live TV option.

8. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    FWIW, my problem seems to have been a passing one. I watched the rest of Bottle Shock and all of Limitless last night, and both arrived at 1080p/24 fairly quickly (30 seconds or so), and stayed there without loosing that resolution for the rest of the movies. There must have been something going on with my internet connection when I was watching the first half of Bottle Shock.

@aaronwt - apparently I can't change my DNS server because my Comcast modem is also a router, and it seems to choose the DNS for me. Probably some IP address I can use to access that modem, but it seems, for the moment, that I don't need to monkey around anymore.

9. Jun 5, 2012 #9 of 29
    markfheil

markfheil New Member

Mar 22, 2006
    West Haven, CT
    I've been having similar problems with Netflix - resolution switches/blackouts of a few seconds, freezing. The Tivo Support told me to do a cold boot (unpluga power and all cables, wait 60 s. plug in HDMI and power, reconnect other cables after reaching Tivo Central). I thought this worked, had no problems streaming an episode of Lilyhammmer. Then, I started getting the same blackouts and freezes and realized that the red record light had just come on. So is it possible that the new Netflix app is using so many resources of the machine that when it starts to record a show there are problems? I have a Premiere Elite which is supposed to have an even more powerful processor than regular premieres.

I'm fairly certain it is not a bandwidth problem for me since I also have a Logitech Revue/Google TV and the Netflix streaming on that has no problems.

Any ideas?

10. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Just to Clarify one point, the Elite has the same hardware specs as the rest of the premieres, only the amount of tuners and HD space is different

11. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The model of the tuners is different as well. And it has more RAM afaik.

12. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
  13. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I agree with the picking and sticking with a res. but i think the issue there is the fact that the premiere only does 1080p pass. My PS3 for example will start out a movie in 1080p 60FPS (which is how the App Loads also) but once buffered, switch to 24fps. I dont see the switch because of the way the PS3 handles it

Can you try the premiere somewhere where the powerline is involved?

I had two Tivo's going last night, one doing 1080p and one 720P, plus my MLB.TV showing a game and had no issues. I only have a 15Mbps connection

14. proudx

proudx New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I have 1080p disabled and clearly see it switching from 720p to 1080i at the start. I'd imagine setting it to one resolution like 1080i will solve the issue, but I like to display native 720p and 1080i on my setup.

When I see lots of resoluition changes, I notice high latency on my internet connection. When the connection is solid the resolution changes from 720p at start up to 1080i one or two times at the most. It also will change from a paused screen staring at 720p and working its way up.

It would be advisable for the app to start with a bit more buffer at the highest resolution avialable available and fall back resolutions as needed.

additionally, the resolution changes are too sensitive, before any resolution is steped up a longer high quality period of connection should exist to ensure higher resolution will be stable and not flap back and forth.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you use Netflix on any other device you wouldn't agree. Every other device sticks to one output format (1080p, 720p) and adjusts the quality without changing resolutions. When it happens a lot you hardly notice the difference and it also keeps you from ever seeing a rebuffering screen. The problem with the TiVo client is that it is also changing resolutions which doesn't make much sense.

16. proudx

proudx New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah I agree with that. The app should just start the the highest resolution and lock onto it and adjust quality from that one resolution. you are right, the resolution bouncing around is what causes the blackouts/hdmi resyncs, etc.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It can't scale to 1080P. If you set it for one resolution output that it can scale to, like 1080i or 720P then it should be similar to the other devices that also set one output resolution. But you can't set the TiVo to 1080P for that since the TiVo can only pass through 1080P24.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, I know. That is why the TiVo version of Netflix is too problematic for me. I will just stick with Roku so I can get the 1080p streams from Netflix. When you restrict it to 1080i or 720p on TiVo, I don't think Netflix sends the higher 1080p bitrate streams at all.

19. JfNebraska

JfNebraska HD Initiate

Oct 2, 2001
    Oakland,...
    Another question on this.

Are some Netflix HD titles available in 1080P/24 and some not? I was watching Thor a couple nights ago and I couldn't get it to kick into 1080p/24 on either my TiVo or my PS3. If a title is not available in 1080p/24 is there a way to tell that on the web or on one of the playback devices?

Thoughts?

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Some are not. Although I've only run into a couple of titles that only played at 1080i(are these 30 fps/video titles?). And of course there are still many titles that only have 720P for the max resolution.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner