1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New module for TivoWebPlus - Manage NoReRecord List

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by SteveT, Aug 22, 2007.

1. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    I have created a new module to maintain the TiVo's NoReRecord list. This list is used to prevent automatic recording of shows within 30 days of their deletion or cancellation from the TiVo. (Others have referred to it as the "28-day rule", so maybe the timing is different on different systems.)

This module allows you to see the shows on the NoReRecord list. Using the new TWP client-side-sort feature, you can arrange the list by series, date, etc. You can also filter the list by Program, Date or Cancel Reason.

You can then modify the dates using the two check boxes:
    Keep - Resets the Cancel date to prevent the show from dropping off the NoReRecord list. This extends the time until the show will be rerecorded, by the number of days selected in "Keep Duration".
    Remove - Deletes the show from the NoReRecord list. This allows the TiVo to automatically record this show the next time it is available.

The first column (NoReRecord Date) indicates when the Tivo will consider a show eligible for auto-recording again. This is the value that is changed by the Keep option.

I've attached the module to this post. Copy the norerecord.itcl file to your modules folder and the .js file to your scripts folder and restart TWP. Note that this requires the latest TWP 2.0 (at least 070901).

Please give it a try and advise any problems or suggestions in this thread.

Attached Files:

2. tc2000

tc2000 New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Hi, sounds good. I tried to install but get following error:

3. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    Sounds like you're not running the latest TWP 2.0. Use the Update module, or get it from here. After upgrading, you'll need to replace the sorttable.js file, as the one with NoReRecord is currently newer than the one installed with TWP.

4. tc2000

tc2000 New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    doh! Correct, updated TWP to latest vers and now working well! :)

5. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Interesting.

I thought of taking this approach with Tracker, but was concerened about how the TiVo would handle what could over time become a very large No Re-Record list especially as keeping the Recording object alive there will prevent housekeeping from deleteing all its associated objects as they will be referred to by a live object.

I look forward to seeing if my fears were unfounded or not!

6. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    Agreed. That's the main reason I didn't automate it, and spent a lot of time adding filters and sorts so that (hopefully) the users will manage the list rather than just blindly extending everything forever.
    I've been running it for a couple of months now on a very heavily-used TiVo and haven't seen any ill effects.

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Interesting new module but my only issue is that as a UK Tivo S1 PVR10UK unit user I just can't get TivoWebPlus 2 in to a state where it is stable and reliable and supports the same number of modules and functionality as TivoWeb 1.9.4 does.

How much extra work would it involve to also produce a TivoWeb 1.9.4 compliant version of your new module? I believe the differences in the code between a TivoWeb 1.9.4 compliant module and a TivoWebPlus 2.0 compliant module are only actually fairly modest.

8. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    You are likely correct, but I'd prefer to help get you to running TWP 2.0. What 1.9.4 functionality are you using that is not in 2.0?

As for stability, I can attest that 2.0 is MUCH more stable and reliable than any of its predecessors.

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I updated to the latest version of TWP2.0 and installed your new module and the scripts and did a Quit and Reload but then got the following error message:-

The other problem I have is that because I hate the default multi layered menu approach of TWP2.0 I used TWP Menus to put everything on UI. But this seems to have upset TWP 2.0 and I now get a strange menu with only text and without the usual graphics on the main menu and if I try to go in to TWP Menus to take some options off of UI I get the error message:-

I have tried running the software update again to cure this but unfortunately the menu options are not reset by updating the software.

This is why I don't like TWP 2.0. It is still full of bugs like this where you can pick a set of menu options it then doesn't like and sulks over.

Of course may be there is just something special about our UK Thomsons PVR10UK Series 1 Tivos that makes them not like the TWP 2.0 software. At least it works and as we don't have dual tuners the biggest reason for changing to TivoWebPlus is not there.

Any thoughts you can give me on why your module isn't working would be appreciated.

10. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    That crash is actually in get_tzoffset, which I haven't seen before. I'll investigate and advise.
    That looks like part of the change I made to support drop-down menus. It never occurred to me that someone would intentionally remove all options from the first level. I'll work on a fix this weekend.
    If you delete the dyncfg.cfg file from /var/TWP, your menus will be defaulted to the original. Until I have the fix above, please leave at least one option out of the 3 groups. If you still get the "strange menu", please post a screen capture of it, and I'll look at that as well.

11. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. Are you on the development team of TWP 2.0 then as surely my menus issue doesn't relate to your new module directly.

As to users as you sound like a trained developer surely you have learned by now that if they can do it they will do it. ;) :eek:

What I actually wanted was the equivalent of the functionality in TWP 1.0 to 1.4 where you can delete the More files and get a single layer menu structure as per Tivoweb 1.9.4

As to the time zone offset issue don't forget I am a UK based Series 1 Thomson Tivo user and we are 5 hours to 8 hours ahead of you guys in North America. So I expect that may be why it is occurring.

12. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    Not quite a team member, but yes, I have written some of the recent additions to 2.0. I checked into this error and found a "fix". In menus.itcl, find this code
    Code:
      # Assign menu grougs  
      ######################
      set top 0
      set max 0
      foreach i {newMore newSystem newUI leftovers MoreList SystemList UIList MoreNames SystemNames UINames} {set $i ""}

and add the two red lines below, to result in
    Code:
      # Assign menu groups  
      ######################
      set top 0
      set max 0
    [color=red]  set leftovers {}
      set leftoverNames {}[/color]
      foreach i {newMore newSystem newUI leftovers MoreList SystemList UIList MoreNames SystemNames UINames} {set $i ""}

I will submit this as a patch shortly, if you'd prefer to wait.
    Touché.
    I see what you're wanting, but that will take some more work than just this "fix". I'll see if I can add a check to not show "More", "System", or "UI" if that group is empty.
    However, I wonder why the "drop-downs" I added for the sub-menus don't meet your need? If you haven't seen them, I suggest you visit my Jacket Themes site (see sig) and hover over More, System and UI.
    Still investigating this one. This function is used in several places in TWP 2.0 (like Info). Can you run Info successfully?

13. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    Fixed... I assumed tweak.sh would have the latest version but I was wrong.

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No. Along with various other errors in different places in TivoWebPlus 2.0 I get the following when I use Info:-

This is why previously I came to the conclusion that for UK Tivos Tivoweb 1.9.4 was still the better bet. Most other UK Tivoweb users still feel the same way as me.

It seems we need to donate you guys a UK Thomson Tivo PVR10UK S1 model for you to test your TivoWebPlus 2.0 software out on.

16. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    OK, thanks. That helps me understand the problem a bit better.
    An interesting idea, but hardly required to debug these. It looks like I can change the startup code a bit to "emulate" a UKTivo, and hopefully get the same errors you are seeing. Once I see them on my system, I can fix (or yell for help from BTUxNine and John1980 :) )

17. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    Well, I can emulate a UKTivo, but mine still works fine. Since the error refers to line 18 of get_tzoffset(), and none of the get_tzoffset()'s in the latest distribution even have a line 18, I'm guessing your installation has an extra module that is "stepping on" the one in the distro. In fact, I found an old hackman_util.itcl which matches line 18. (Fixed in later hackman versions).

Pete77, can you do a clean install and restart and see if that error goes away? (rename TivoWebPlus folder and install per instructions on the page with the latest 2.0 bundles)

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    On the Phone module I get:-

Channel Map doesn't seem to work at all and just gets stuck at the menu selection.

Deleted produces-

Date vs Channel Grid gets stuck at the menu. Same for Orphaned Season Passes.

Logs comes up with:-

MFS comes up with:-

Now Showing With Play Functionality comes up with:-

Now Playing list comes up with:-

Pending causes the Tivo to reboot thereby blowing out of the water the idea that TWP2 is more stable than TW1.9.4.

I just tried Pending again straight after the reboot and changing across from Tivoweb 1.9.4 using Hackman and got the below instead of a reboot:-

So may be Pending causing the reboot was a cumulative memory overflow thing after all the other modules tried.

A search in the search module for "Formula" produces:-

ToDO produces

Most other modules seem to work.

I really wish User Interface and its sub menus had also not been done away with. This would have avoided the need for the more complicated and yet apparently arbitrary and non rational sub menu structure used in TWP2.0. A case of change for change's sake perhaps.

I guess this is really a post for the main TWP2.0 thread now though?

As I start TWP2.0 with Hackman from TW1.9.4 may be the older Hackman module is the problem although I thought had the latest ones compatible with TWP2.0 and TWP1.9.4 (a different Hackman version is needed for each).

I did a clean install originally and did not install TWP2.0 over the top of TWP1.3.1

I think starting from Hackman may perhaps be the issue. Going to edit my startup file to only boot TWP2.0 and not boot TW1.9.4 and see if that makes any difference.

19. SteveT

SteveT Just a member

Oct 23, 2002
    Easley, SC
    Agreed. Most of these show the same get_tzoffset() error, so we need to fix that first. Most of the remainder are modules that are not included in TWP 2.0.

Looking forward to results of a clean install and startup.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Why not? Surely you could offer to do the very minor modification required to make them compatible to the original authors? Bringing out software that is not retro compatible with older modules is a very negative step in marketing and acceptance terms.

It turned out I had Hackman 5.4.0 from April instead of the latest Hackman 5.5.5 I have now updated to the latter. However the earlier version of Hackman was compatible with switching between TivoWeb 1.9.4 and TivoWebPlus 2.0 Portland Paw introduce that modification in an earlier Hackman revision.