1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HD Channels for Bay Area Comcast?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mikesay98, May 13, 2007.

1. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Hey everyone! We got a message on our Cable Box from Comcast that we're getting three new HD channels starting 5/16. CW HD, A&E HD, and National Geo. HD!! Can't wait to see them on my S3...been aching for some more HD channels for a while. I'm thinking this is Bay Area-wide...anyone else have news?!

2. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    SWEET! now why the hell dont i get these messages is my question?

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Maybe you, like me, live in one of the 550MHz systems that doesn't get these new channels until their system is upgraded?

4. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    What hd channels do you get right now and how fast is your cable modem? I have 16mbit/2mbit cable they just upgraded me to and here is my HD lineup.

702 KTVU-2 (FOX) HD High-Definition TV
    703 KNTV-HDTV High-Definition TV
    704 KRON-HD High-Definition TV
    705 KPIX-(CBS) High-Definition TV
    707 KGO-HDTV High-Definition TV
    709 KQED-HDTV High-Definition TV
    719 InDemand - HD High-Definition TV
    720 FSN Bay Area - HD High-Definition TV
    722 Discovery - HD High-Definition TV
    723 ESPN - HD High-Definition TV
    724 ESPN2 - HD Sports
    725 HDSE Sports
    725 ESPN2 - HD Sports
    726 TNT HD High-Definition TV
    727 Universal - HD High-Definition TV
    728 MHD High-Definition TV
    730 HBO-HD High-Definition TV
    732 Cinemax-HD High-Definition TV
    734 Starz!-HD High-Definition TV
    736 Showtime-HD High-Definition TV

Do you have the same lineup? Im in American Canyon, so id be pretty suprised if its 550 mhz. The development out here is pretty new. How would i know if im 550mhz? Per taht avsforum link, i should be ok.

i guess ill find out in a couple days.

5. vstone

vstone New Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Just a thought: why not discuss this with the market specific HD forum over at AVSFORUM?

6. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Does everyone on this forum other than me have cable Internet? I am quite happy with my $29.99/mo 6Mbs DSL from at&t.

7. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    What is the difference between 724 & 725 as both are ESPN2 HD with the exception that 725 might be a shared channel, but that doesn't make sense as it is soley on 724, anyways...???

8. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    att requires you to have a landline to have that dsl. I dont have a landline. At some points during the month, i have a work cell, a duty pager cell and my own cell phone. Its pointless for me to pay for a landline. Thats my reasoning for cable modem. There are no pre-reqs, you can have cable modem only service from comcast.

9. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Isn't the cable-modem-only price pretty much the same as getting basic cable + modem? Like where at&t offers DSL without voice service, where you might as well get the voice service, because you are paying the same total price anyway.

10. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    in my area they dont put a signal grabber on the line, so you get basic cable either way if you have a cable modem. So, no, it would be more expensive if i called up and asked for it. Depends on your area. Some places block it, some dont. Where i moved into, the guy didnt put a signal grabber on. I actually asked him not to just in case my Dish network didnt work out. I wanted to be able to just go pick up some boxes, plug them in and get them zapped. Which is exactly what i ended up having to do. Couldnt get line of site with dish, grr.

But say my dish did work, i would have the comcast basic cable 100+ channels for no charge to fall back on during outages, etc.

11. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    I wasn't referring to them blocking the TV channels. At least in my market, the charge for cable Internet service if you don't also subscribe to TV service is about the same as the total of Internet service added to basic cable.
    $56.95/month for Internet without TV service
    $42.95/month for Internet for TV customers + $14.22/month for basic cable

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought there was a requirement by the FCC that AT&T allow you to get 'naked DSL'.

13. mikesay98

mikesay98 New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    This is true, but the speed and price is very lackluster.

Btw, how did this go from a new HD channels thread to a how do you connect to the internet thread? :confused:

14. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    call them up and tell them u want a dsl connection without a phone. Then call cable and tell them u want a cable modem without cable. let me know what your upfront cost is. :cool:

15. bleys

bleys New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Sweet!

I'm in Mountain View (94043), and I receive these new channels:

KCBW (CW) HD - 712
    National Geographic HD - 715
    A&E HD - 718
    MOJO HD (replacing INHD?) - 719

TiVo only knows about National Geographic and MOJO (I can tune to all four, but I only get the channel name and guide listings for 715 and 719); the other two will probably show up in TiVo's lineup in a day or two.

16. patrickthickey

patrickthickey New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    NGCHD on 715; COMCAST HD (whatever the heck this is?) on 721; ES2HD on 724 and TNTHD on 726

But, as ever, we get NO ABC HD on the mapped channels, only on the QAM tuner without cable cards. As they added four HD channels it cannot be a capacity issue.

Anyone have a clue why we, and apparently we alone do not get ABC HD on a mapped set of channels? I have received no reply from either COMCAST or ABC in SF.

Reminds me of the early dayz of CBS boycotting COMCAST for the HD feeds.

regards,

patrick

17. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    This is my pet peeve with Comcast in Santa Cruz. It can't be a capacity issue because you can see it without cablecards, so they've already allocated the bandwith for it.

Thus, it must be some sort of contractual issue between Comcast and KGO.

18. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I'm in Cupertino. I got a message from TiVo that new channels had been added, including The CW in HD. For some reason the only new channel that is showing up is MOJO. I go into my channel preferences and the list goes from 712 straight to 719. In other words, the new channels aren't even there to choose.

Anyone have any idea how to get the new channels to appear in the guide list?

EDIT: Re-ran guided setup and all my new HD Channels are there now. :)

19. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I can select channels 712, 715, 718 in channels I receive list, but there is no guide data for these channels yet. Also only channle 715 shows a channel name, 712 and 718 have no name. Looks like A&E HD 718 is on east coast time.

Edit: forcing a call from S3 to Tivo downloaded guide info for the new channels