1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Hard Drive - don't care about old collection

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by touarts, Mar 13, 2014.

1. touarts

touarts New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    My Tivo Series 3 HD hard drive is failing. I don't care about any of the shows I have saved. Must I install the Tivo software before replacing the drive, or will Tivo download and install it for me? All the threads I have seen relate to preserving recorded shows, but as I said, I just want to start with a clean install.
    Thanks for any input.
  2. wtkflhn

wtkflhn New Member

May 12, 2006
    Metairie, La
    I would suggest that you get an hard drive from Weakknees. They come with the software already on them. That may cost more, but IMHO it's a lot simpler
    Don H..
  3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Any TiVo prior to the Roamio requires that the s/w be installed before the drive is put in the TiVo, but it isn't that difficult.

They cost a lot more. It's > than a 100% markup.

If you can't DIY and don't have anyone who can do it for you, dvr_dude has better prices.
  4. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Except for the new Roamio line of TiVos you have to install the software yourself if you replace the drive. It's actually pretty easy if you have any computer smarts.

The tools (MFSLive or WinMFS) are free and so are the necessary software images. Check out the Upgrade forum for more details.
  5. touarts

touarts New Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Thank you! I already have a 500Gig drive cleared out for this purpose, so I will proceed with MFSLive or WinMFS.
  6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the old drive isn't too far gone yet you might be able to do a backup with either of those and restore the backup to the new drive.

Won't save shows but will save settings, saving you having to go through Guided Setup again.

You might even be able to actually copy the drive to the new one before it finishes failing.

If not,

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

For use with WinMFS:

With either, restore but do not expand*, then check the drive with

then expand in a separate step with

*With MFS Live, this means do not use the

option in the command string.