1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DirevTV TiVo question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by KCobraII, Nov 20, 2012.

1. KCobraII

KCobraII New Member

Nov 9, 2012
    With the recent rebooting issues on the series 2 DirecTiVo's, I started thinking about upgrading. I really didn't want to reward DirecTV for something they screwed up, but I was afraid I might have no alternative.

To that end, I was hoping people on here who have them might be able to answer a few questions. Like, is it possible to buy the new unit, but activate it only in SD? Can you use legacy dishes (mind is the old round dual LNB one)? Even if I lost some of the features, I don't want to rewire the house. Also, is it ever possible to own the receiver, or am I stuck in a lease forever?

Thanks.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The THR22 will work fine in SD on an 18" round dish. You may need to go to an authorized outlet such as Weaknees or SolidSignal to "buy" the box - it is really a lease, and there's nothing wrong with that. You'd pay the same per month either way. I don't think DirecTV will offer you a HD box unless you tell them you have a HDTV.

3. KCobraII

KCobraII New Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks Steve. I was hoping it would work. Then the next question is if I were to get ambitious and put up a tripls LNB dish, would the new DirecTiVo be able to pull all the HD stuff too? Or does it require the single wire setup or whatever I was hearing about the new installs are? If it does work with a triple LNB dish, is it handicapped in any way compared to the way they do new installs?

Thanks.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It will work fine with a 3LNB, non-SWM dish. Not handicapped at all - I ran mine this way for several months. If you have the two lines to run to the receiver, you'll be fine. But I really like the SWM install...