1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Daylight Savings Time Update for Series1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoPony, Mar 14, 2007.

1. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    I have news to share.

Recently TiVo sent notices out to our Series1 owners that for the next three weeks their clock would be off by one hour, and their manual recordings would have to be adjusted.

This was due to the change to Daylight Savings Time mandated by Congress.

Our engineers had worked on the problem, and had not come up with a solution that would take care of all Series1 standalone systems.

They were wrong. It doesn't happen very often, but they are human, and humans make mistakes. A solution was found by a forum member here and posted. This is a case where I'm actually happy to say we were wrong.

So...a fix is going to be made available, very shortly, for Series1 standalone customers. It's very similar to what was posted - same basic idea, slightly different implementation. We've been testing it here this week.

There will be a sign-up page to receive this update, and I'll update this thread with the url as soon as it's ready.

[edit: Here's the URL. Note that the customer support materials linked from that page may not have been updated just yet...]

Series1 customers will also be receiving notification that a fix is available.

As we've just messaged folks to change all of their manual recordings, we're not going to automatically send this out to everyone (if we did, well, we'd mess things up for anyone that *had* changed their manual recordings). So, when I post the url to this thread, sign up.

We do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the transition to the new DST dates, and we anticipate this will not be an issue going forward.

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    While I don't have an S1, I applaud the endeavors of your team and that of the forum member who came up with a solution. Nice to see teamwork!! :up:
  3. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD

/subscribe for url

Wait, does this mean I can't argue for a free Series 2 with lifetime transfer? No? Darn.
  4. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good deal! I'll be subscribing for this list when it's ready. :)

By the way, I can understand not wanting to goof people up who have already changed their manual recordings, but I would think messages would be sent out before Fall, so that people who don't read the forums here won't have to deal with this in the Fall.

That would have been so sweet to upgrade my lifetime to a series 2 DT. Your 'darn' is well taken. :D
  5. dhulcher

dhulcher owns S1 and DTV-S1

Feb 12, 2007
    Great job, TiVo and anyone on the forum that assisted them.
  6. Opusnbill7

Opusnbill7 S1 Lifetime User

Sep 12, 2000
    Lincoln, NE USA
    Amen....but I'm still glad they're fixing it. My faith is restored in Tivo. :)
  7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So ... who's the forum member that gets a free TiVo or subscription package for helping the engineers out? :)

I would think at least the Series 1 owners here should buy that TCF poster a beer or two!
  8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    :up: for such an upfront post on how a vexing issue was resolved to the customer's benefit.
  9. n548gxg

n548gxg New Member

Mar 7, 2003
    East Coast
  10. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    Alviso, CA
    It is our expectation that this will be automatically included in the future, making future messaging unnecessary.
  11. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    For those of you that start at the bottom of the thread instead of the top:

Here's the URL for signing up for the update.

Note that the customer support document linked from that page may not have been updated just yet...

12. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN

a couple of questions from those series 1 owners who were able to switch to a +1 timezone and turned off automated daylight saving setting (via guided setup) giving us correct time, schedule, and manual recordings until daylight saving time ends in November:

Will this fix interfere with that?

If we have control over the timing of this patch, when should we apply it for minimal disruption? (I realize I will have to rerun guided setup to change the timezone back and enable automatic DST)
  13. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    Thank you,
    maybe now my Series1 will continue to have an uncomplicated marginally productive life...
  14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    I really hope you guys reward the forum member!

I don't have a Series 1 anymore but I would be thanking you if I did!
  15. TiVoPony

TiVoPony New Member

May 11, 2002
    Excellent questions, I'm trying to get the answers for you. Until I get everything confirmed, I'd suggest that you hold off on signing up for this if:

* You reran guided setup as a temporary fix
    * You took the script that was posted on the forum here and applied it to your box.

I'll try to have definitive answers for you tomorrow on what we'd recommend in each of these instances.

As far as when the update would be applied to your box, that's more difficult to tell. Our 'safe' assumption is within three days of filling out the form you should have the update. Honestly it often can go much much faster than that. It is also gated by when your box calls the service and how many people sign up for the update. Given the number of variables, it's hard to predict an exact time.

16. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Thank you jberman for seeing the forest through the trees when I could not. I was close though :p

Thank you TiVo for stepping up to the plate to address the concerns of S1 owners.

I was certain that TiVo had put S1 standalone customers out to pasture and I was most certainly wrong.

17. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
  18. timckelley

timckelley TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Good point; that makes sense.
  19. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
  20. technomutt

technomutt New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    OK, but is this going to change the kernel and crash our S1's with hard drives bigger than 120GB?