1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New android app update

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tomhorsley, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    But, no streaming :-(.

As near as I can tell, all they did was change the message that said something like: "This is for 7 inch tablets or larger" to "This isn't the best version to use on this device", but the stoopid messages *still* pops up on my 7 inch Nexus 7 all the time, so we still have no idea what algorithm it is actually using to decide my device sucks.

Here's a thought: How about you pop it up just once the first time I run instead of every time I run?

2. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yea.. the "What's New" for this update is just "Minor maintenance release". :(

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Just updated and I'm getting the same message on my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 7.0.

Android 4.2.2 I still get TiVo had suddenly stopped when I attempt to access the settings menu. This makes it impossible to choose which channel list

4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I was getting this same error message, installing the phone version also. I can open the tablet version w/o the error message now.

5. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I finally got around to trying this new version talking to my TiVo, and the other annoying bug I've noticed on my Nexus 7 hasn't been fixed: Every time I exit the TiVo app, google-chrome pops up. I can only assume it is somehow using chrome under the hood and it escapes when the TiVo app exits.

6. DEC2955

DEC2955 Member

May 3, 2009
    Kansas
    What would it take from the users to get TIVO to update the Android App(s) as I also have a 'Nexus 7' and hate the fact that it works for about 5 minutes and then crashed/closes.

7. Jun 1, 2014 #7 of 18
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I assume it would take the users buying a controlling interest in the stock :).

8. Jun 1, 2014 #8 of 18
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
  9. Jun 1, 2014 #9 of 18
    Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
  10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is especially better on tablets- the UI on the TiVo tablet app is crazy slow, even though it is tolerable on a phone.

11. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Has Tivo abandoned all hope for Android streaming? I can't find the old threads filled with apple v android flames. I was hoping to find the latest news there.

I've had Roamio for a while now, and it is okay. I find myself streaming from Netflix constantly, and when I'm not doing that I'm pushing dvd rips of HBO (mostly) shows to the Tivo to watch. Traditional TV is feeling more and more foreign with all the commercials.

If Aereo was in my area, I'd subscribe to it pretty quickly.

12. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Last I heard was that it should be released some point this summer.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It keeps getting pushed out. No idea what the issue is. Could be technical or it could be business related. TiVo hasn't said much at all officially, so the only info we've ever got has been second hand rumors from a "source".

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    It would be nice to have by football season to use as a substitute for the picture in picture we also don't have so I can tell when the commercials are over in one football game while watching the other one :).

15. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Ah yes. The ever present hope that Android support is just around the corner. It's like I never left the forum.

16. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Wonder why margret isn't replying to the recent emails and tweets with an update.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

17. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Regarding Android? Probably because they are not allowed to officially comment on it. And/or she is chillaxing after all the work from the last update :)

As you know, TiVo Inc can be very cryptic/closed at times (like a lot of other companies) when it comes to certain hot topics and speculation. Sometimes when there is no good news (or the potential for bad news), it is better (politically) to say nothing about a topic.

18. wkearney99

wkearney99 Bill Kearney

Dec 5, 2003
    Bethesda,...
    It's less worse than the Tivo app in some ways, but the tablet app does present a lot more information.

DVR Commander would be a little more useful if they'd put the Live TV button on the main screen, along with the arrow pad. In regular use, especially on a Roamio, the Live TV and arrows are a must.