1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New $99.99 Premiere pricing with $19.99 monthly & 1 year commit

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MikeAndrews, Nov 14, 2010.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    No this is not a dupe. I figured I'd start a thread strictly on the new TiVo subsidized pricing deal.

There are actually 3 options, with the original pricing still available:
    Newly subscribed equipment always had a one year commitment, although you could get a year for $99 before. As of this writing what happens with the MSD and Lifetime availability for existing subscribers is not entirely known, but I'll suspect it falls under the third category above as before.

This is possibly a good move for market position for TiVo, vs. other new set top boxes.

• Apple TV is $99 and only does streaming. TiVo has the same services except for iTunes Store and iTunes streaming.
    • Google TV is $249 at least in the Logitech version. TiVo has the same services except Hulu (which is disabled at this writing) and but GoogleTV has a web browser.
    • Roku. Ditto same services.
    • Boxee box (not shipping yet?)
    NONE of those is a DVR.

TiVo still has a great UI and remote, and most importantly had a rock-solid platform that almost never crashes. It still is rock solid if you disable the HD UI.

So we may have more mere mortals picking up the Premier. It can sell compared to the others, especially since the TiVo name has brand recognition.

Might we expect that we'll have more than one pipe up here or elsewhere if they don't realize that the subscription is required?

Comments?

2. tentativeo

tentativeo New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    First, it's coincidence that I decided to evaluate getting a TiVo today. I had one 4-5 years ago but the drive died. I started looking on Amazon and comments brought me here to this excellent site.

The new (and crazy?) price plans for the Premier to nearest dollar are:

• (A) $0 + $19.99/m for 24 mos = $480
    • (B) $99.99 + $19.99/m for 12 mos = $340
    • (C) $299.99 + $12.95/m for 12 mos = $455

Reading TiVo Payment Plans UPDATED NOVEMBER 14, 2010, I gather you must pay $19.99/month after the commitment expires.

Assume I keep it for 2 years, costs are
    • (A) $480 + $19.99 for 0 mos = $480
    • (B) $340 + $19.99 for 12 mos = $580
    • (C) $455 + $12.95 for 12 mos = $610

"Does not compute," says Robby the robot. Unless you can switch to the previous $12.95/m or $129 annual rate plan (A) is best.

For 5 years
    • (A) $480 + $19.99 for 36 mos = $1,200
    • (B) $340 + $19.99 for 48 mos = $1,300
    • (C) $455 + $399 .................. = $854 <-- With the Lifetime subscription after first year

Plan B is always the worst. Surely I must be misunderstanding something.

3. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I don't think you have to keep paying $20/month after your contract is up. You can elect to change to standard pricing.

4. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

May 10, 2005
    how does tivo know the price you paid?

5. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    That requires calling in though. I'm willing to bet that TiVo is counting on people forgetting to do that.

6. tentativeo

tentativeo New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Hmmm, I'm new here. But I thought that TiVo eliminated standard pricing in their Nov 14th announcement. And that this is the basis for the complaints from folks who just purchased a Premier or XL and are faced with $20/month in perpetuity.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    WOW!! $20 a month!?!?

8. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    afaik the complaints stem from those who bought from 6th avenue for $99 the day before Tivo announced that the $99 price is tied to the 1 yr $20/month contract.

Might be wishful thinking on my part that you can elect a standard rate after your contract is up, but I just don't buy that you will not be able to. Your subsidy is paid off after your contract expires. And Tivo wants subscribers. $12.99/month is over-priced as it is. :)

9. tcfcameron

tcfcameron (4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Aug 4, 2010
    It's not that simple. Other resellers/retailers either are, or soon will be, offering $99.99 TiVo Premieres (or $299.99 PXLs).

It has been reported that Amazon is selling at the new pricing, but has not placed a notice, or a link to the updated TiVo Policies/TOS/Pricing.

Unless the resellers/retailers get their act together and make it clear what the real total cost will be, for buying the box (+ service), there will be a lot of open-box returns (or people never activating the box and just selling the parts on eBay).

It's a hell of a thing for TiVo to do, during the holiday season.

Here's something that really stands out to me: Most companies that I do business with, notify me when their Policies/TOS/Pricing change, even if the changes DON'T affect me.

TiVo should do the same, and should have emailed all their existing customers, notifying them of the changes. It's not something TiVo has done in the past, but this debacle is a perfect example of why they should do it.

I wouldn't even know about the changes, had it not been for 6thAve's screw-up.

10. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    According to TiVoPony's post in another thread it appears that if you sign up at the $19.95/month price you are stuck at that price forever, though you can cancel after a year.

The service agreement states though that at the end of the 1 year contract the rate switches to the current monthly rate. Taking those two statements together seems to heavily imply that the monthly rate is switching to $19.95/month, if only temporarily.

11. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    It's pretty much that simple.

It doesn't mean everything is fixed with every other retailer. Or that Tivo didn't drop the ball.

What are these changes you didn't know about? This is just a promotion much like the one they offered a few months back. According to Tivo's website, this promotion only lasts until the end of the year.

12. tcfcameron

Aug 4, 2010
    THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT MSG, THAT I WAS PERSONALLY ASKED BY HIGH MANAGEMENT OF 6TH AVE TO DELIVER HERE, AND IT IS TIME SENSITIVE:

(This information is ONLY applicable to purchases from 6th Ave):

1. The price paid has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you will be eligible for TiVo Service under old or new policy.

2. The TiVo TSN of your unit has no factor in the same (they are not recording them, or making any list of them).

3. The date of purchase is the only factor, 11/14 being the cut-off date.

4. Orders that have been canceled, are being kept in a special holding queue, to give you the opportunity to un-cancel your order.

5. Some early cancellations were not placed in the above mentioned queue, and will be handled on an individual basis.

6. Today (11/15) is the last day that action can be taken to insure you are eligible for the old TiVo policies. If you do not un-cancel your order today, you will miss the last opportunity to get the old TiVo service terms.

7. 6th Ave has been fighting for us, for 72 hours, trying to insure that TiVo does not deny old service policy to eligible purchasers.

8. 6th Ave has pledged to fight for us, and will fight fiercely with TiVo, should they try to renege in any way.

9. TiVo's call center is supposed to be fully aware of the agreement that exists between TiVo and 6th Ave. If they try to tell you otherwise, try another rep, or contact 6th Ave, and they will fight for you.

10. I have been asked by 6th Ave, to provide links to the forum threads that are regarding this matter. (which I will do shortly).

11. I have been asked by 6th Ave, to report to them any new issues arising from this deal. (and I will).

12. All customers with an existing order, as well as those who canceled (and made the special holding queue), will receive an email from 6th Ave shortly.

-EDIT: It is requested, by 6thAve, that upon receiving your Premiere, that you DON'T OPEN THE FACTORY BOX, until you have called in the TSN (located on the outside of factory box) to TiVo, and verified that TiVo will allow you to activate under the previous TiVo service agreement policies.

6thAve is offering a full refund, including shipping (via pre-paid label), if you are denied activation under the previous TiVo service agreement policies, provided that you have contacted 6thAve to report the denial, and are still unable to resolve the matter.

I can't recall if not opening the factory box is a request, or a condition, regarding the full refund.

You can email customerservice@6ave.com regarding any issues.

Now, a personal msg from me: I'm sorry if I was the reason for anybody that canceled their order. However, if it had not been for 6th Ave's fight that they took to TiVo, my initial concerns about being stuck with the new policy, would have been true.

13. tcfcameron

Aug 4, 2010
    I'm not talking about special offers. I'm talking about policy changes.

I'm saying that all TiVo customers should receive an email, each and every time, TiVo updates/changes their policies. Some advance notice would be nice, too.

If such a system were in place, all current TiVo subscribers would have known about the policy update(s), and many would, or will be, spared the shock of buying a Premiere and then afterward finding out that the true cost is not what was expected.

A good example of this kind of system in place, would be PayPal, which sends an email every time they change anything to do with their policies.

With TiVo, you hear about it through forums, word-of-mouth, etc., if at all.

Then, if you know to check, you see it, for the first time, here:

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/index.html

14. efrsysop

efrsysop IT Pro

Sep 19, 2008
    NH & MA...
    Yea, I'm confused on what exactly happens at the end of the 12 months. It sounds like you can dump the 19.99/month plan if you call in and get the current monthly cost. BUT if you don't call the commitment may end but they will happily continue to bill you for the 19.99/month fee.

15. mgp

mgp New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Texas
    I've been on the fence for the last 6 months or so, thinking of dumping Directv and going to FIOS with TiVo Premiers and cable cards. TiVo just lost my business. No way I would own Premiers without lifetime service.

19.99 a month per box.. Are you kidding me?

16. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    That just means you want option 3. I guess that means you have to order a not-$99 Premiere from TiVo.

You DEFINITELY want to dump DevilTV at the first opportunity!

17. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    ? This is just a promotion. It expires Dec 31st.

It's not a policy change afaik.

And all the happened here is Tivo dropped the ball on coordinating the rollout of this promotion.

But sending out a legal agreement to all their customers wouldn't have changed the end result any. Just not inconvenienced a few folks.

18. tcfcameron

Aug 4, 2010
    WTH? I keep posting links to TiVo's "Policies" page, where two entire policies are "Updated".

TiVo would not update their policies, and then just "un-update" them, because one of their sales has ended.

Sure, the current sales ends Dec. 31, but the POLICIES will remain (until the next time they feel the need to change them again).

What are you smoking?

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...agreement.html

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/policies/index.html

19. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Tivo updated their policy when the promotion began. Why wouldn't they update it again when the promotion ends? :D

And the policy doesn't state what rate you'll be paying after your contract is up. And whether or not you can go back to the standard $12.95/month pricing.

And what has changed for those buying a Tivo at retail price? Can we not get lifetime anymore? WE can't get the same rates as before? ......