1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network remote for Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by skaggs, Aug 26, 2013.

1. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I read in the Mini specs that you cannot use the TiVo app to change channels on the Mini.

I'll describe my situation and hopefully someone will have a solution.

Currently, I have a TV in the master bedroom hooked up to a Premiere unit. The HDMI cable comes out of the back of the Premiere and goes into a 1x2 HDMI amplifier splitter. Two HDMI cables come out of the splitter, one to the master bedroom TV and the other goes up through the wall, into the attic, and down into the master bath, where it connects to another TV.

[​IMG]

We use the TiVo app on an old iPod Touch kept in the master bathroom to change channels on the Premiere. There is no line-of-sight from the master bathroom to the Premiere in the master bedroom.

I am considering replacing the Premiere unit in the bedroom with a Mini. (I have a Premiere XL4 in the family room, which I am considering upgrading to the Roamio Pro)

How can (should) I change the channel on the possible future master bedroom Mini from the master bathroom?

2. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    GA
    A big flat screen TV in the master bathroom above the tub? Is TV THAT important? That also might be one of the FUNNIEST damn things I have seen in a WHILE. Classic!!! :p

3. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
  4. PoobBubes

PoobBubes Member

Jun 30, 2010
  5. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
  6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Networks remotes work fine with the Mini. I think the last version of iOS app got an update that prevented TiVo Minis from being selected such that you couldn't use virtual remote via iOS but the latest iOS version now recognizes Minis again.

7. stoli412

stoli412 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    Confirmed. iOS app now supports the TiVo Mini once again.

8. Feb 9, 2015 #8 of 13
    172pilot

172pilot New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Maryland
    So, I can confirm that I CAN control my mini with my iOS based remote, but I've got some custom scripts using the tcp port 31339 telnet protocol that has been well documented and reliable for years to control Tivos over the network, and I can't use those to change the channels on the Mini.. Does anyone have any documentation on the protocol used by the mini remote to change channels?

For example, I used to be able to telnet to any TiVo on port 31339 and it would tell me what channel it's on, and then I could type "SETCH 2" to change it to channel 2..

Now, although the interface still works, I get "Invalid_Channel" errors no matter what I type.

Any ideas?

9. Feb 9, 2015 #9 of 13
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I know other commands work via telnet on a Mini. Maybe it has to already be on live TV to change the channel? What if you try the command LIVETV and then SETCH 2?

10. kmitchell

kmitchell New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    SETCH has been broken for awhile even on the Premiere 4XL.

You need to use:

IRCODE LIVETV
    IRCODE NUM0
    IRCODE NUM0
    IRCODE NUM0
    IRCODE NUM2

Here's some python code:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import socket
    import time

ip = "172.29.1.80"
    port = 31339
    channel = '0051'

#print("Connecting to %s:%s") % (ip,port)
    s = socket.socket()
    s.connect((ip, port))

time.sleep(2)
    s.sendall("IRCODE LIVETV\r")
    time.sleep(2)

for digit in channel:
    s.sendall("IRCODE NUM%s\r" % digit)
    time.sleep(1)

11. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    BTW, would the new mini with RF remote be the way to address this problem now?

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Nice bathroom! Shouldn't the TV be like 2 feet lower though?

My app works fine for controlling a Mini. I kid you not, mine has to run through Wifi to PowerLine to MoCA, although TCP/IP doesn't really care what kind of wire or signal it's running on.

I'm guessing the OP has a waterproof case on the iPod Touch, hence the reason for wanting to use it?

13. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Hi, I am able to Telnet into port 31339 to control my Roamio Pro, but when I try to connect to the Mini, it just sits there and does nothing. I want to defeat this stupid 4 hour inactivity BS that they refuse to change. Any suggestions before I call useless tech support? THANKS.

UPDATE: I WORKED IT OUT. SEE IT HERE IF INTERESTED:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10614808#post10614808

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015