1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Ed_Hunt, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I haven't seen this problem, so I thought I would ask. My series3 HD is hardwired to the same Router as my Computer. The Tivo will only see the Computer on occasion, I can't see any rhyme or reason for when it sees it and when it doesn't. My Laptop is wireless and the Tivo sees it all the time. I have rebooted everything one at a time and it seems if I reboot the main router where the cable comes into the house it will see the Tivo at least for a while. It will then disappear and come back on its own.
    Any thoughts?

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Are both routers doing DHCP? If so, are they on different subnets? Are the IP addresses handed out to the TiVo, the desktop and the laptop all on the same subnet? IOW, are all three client devices getting IP addresses from the same router?

3. sfhub

sfhub Active Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Can your computer (desktop?) ping the S3 TiVo all the time, continuously, or does the TiVo drop out occasionally?

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo can only see a computer if the computer is running programs such as Tivo Desktop or PyTivo.

5. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I am running both:up:

6. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    The problem I have with this solution is I can go to the now playing list and the computer will be there, then watch a show, go back to the npl and its gone. I know the computer has a good solid connection to the network because shows transfer from the tivo to the computer with no problem and from tivo to tivo with no problem. It is a pain since I just got a 2 TB drive for it and I have transferred my shows to the computer, which by the way keeps transferring even when it disappears, again telling me my network connection is good.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I was having the same problem a while back. It was caused by the Bonjour service turning itself off for some reason. I had to uninstall and then reinstall the Tivo desktop to make it stay running.

8. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I will try this tonight, thank you:up:

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Have you tried switching Desktop from Bonjour to TiVo Beacon? It's much more reliable IMO.

10. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    At least for now re-installing desktop seems to be working. A caveat, you can't download the free version of desktop anymore even if you have a key. I had a download I kept, took a while to find it, I used that.
    Thanks for the replys

11. Housted

Housted New Member

Nov 6, 2011
    How do you do that???

Housted

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Launch TiVo Desktop.

At the top where it says

File View Actions Services Help

click on Services, then click on TiVo Server Properties, then click on the tab that says Network.

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe