1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Adapters N vs G

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sieglinde, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I am purchasing a Tivo Premier XL4, the details on it say that both the N and G adapters are compatible. I have an unused G Adapter right now, is there any reason to buy the newer N adapter?

2. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    If you want to be able to stream TiVo-to-TiVo having Wireless N may be necessary. I tried to stream HD shows using the TiVo Wireless G adapter and it could only handle about 95% of the necessary bandwidth; so it was useless. Probably would be OK for transferring, but I have TWC so streaming is the only option for most content.

I don't own the TiVo-branded N device. I bought some used WNDR3300 Wireless N routers and use them in bridge mode. No throughput issues streaming HD content.

3. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Yeah, I only will have Tivo. I never had that problem with G to G transfers when I had two Tivos.

4. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I would not suggest either of the wireless adaptors. Rather purchase a moca adaptor to go near your router and put the ethernet on your coax cables. The XL4 already has moca built in. Faster, more reliable and VERY easy to set up.

5. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    If you only have one Tivo, already have a G adapter and don't have to or want to invest any more money, then I'd just use the G adapter. But...if you plan to stream netflix, hulu or some other on-demand service, the G might be problem if you don't have great signal strength or have multiple active wireless devices. If you get another Tivo, not sure G will stream HD very reliably. If you decide to do something else, +1 on the MoCA.

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Given what you already have, just stay with the G until you find it inadequate.