1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NETGEAR WNCE4004-100NAS Dual-Band N900 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter - $29.99

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CoxInPHX, Jan 24, 2014.

1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Great deal! I already have one that I bought used on eBay which works great but might pick up a spare.

Scott

3. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA
    I am pretty satisfied with my router, but may be interested in this one. Other than the faster wifi , what else does this router maybe offer over others in terms of features?

4. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Hmm, that is a great deal.

I have a Linksys EA2700 Now, which I have had a couple issues with.

Air Play Does not work properly
    My wifi printer constantly can not be detected by any device and I can only find it by turning it off, then back on.
    When ever I lose power, or turn off he cable modem or router, the cable modem will not see the router and I have to power cycle it constantly before they see each other. (this issue happened with a older linksys router I have as well and both a SA and Motorola Cable Modem).

My thoughts are, would this make air play issue free for me, and fix my printer issue?

Also, since my New iMac is wireless AC, should I just hold off and get a wireless AC router at some point. I have been eying the Airport Extremes with Time Capsule but they are out of my budget for awhile after getting the iMac.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It is not a router. It wirelessly connects to your router to provide wired devices access to your network.

6. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    Thanks for the info, didn't know such devices existed. Would have thought this was just a router.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Is not this the same a the TiVo "N" wireless adapter + 3 additional RJ45 ports ?

8. shrike4242

shrike4242 Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Saint Louis, MO
    It is, with a few differences:

1) It's a 3x3 wireless design, which means it could push 450MBps in a perfect world, though will likely pull higher than the 150Mbps the Tivo adapter could pull in a perfect world.
    2) The Tivo adapter only works on a Tivo, this device works on anything.
    3) The Tivo adapter is likely only a 2.4GHz product, which doesn't give you the option to use the 5GHz band, which is less congested though has shorter range. The Netgear adapter is dual-band, so works in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.

It's also cheaper, since the Tivo adapter isn't $30 at the moment. The Tivo adapter, since it does work only with a Tivo, would be easier to use because you just do the config on the Tivo. The Netgear wireless bridge needs a bit more work to set it up, which you need to do from a PC.

9. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have all my TiVos connected via standard ethernet jacks so no real need for this personally, but I wonder if this would be a viable option to make a TiVo Mini work wirelessly? Just wondering.

10. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The TiVo "N" adapter will use the 5Mhz or the 2.4Mhz, a light on the adapter tells you the band it is on.
    This TiVo "N" adapter can be used on any hardware that will use a RJ45 network connection, not just TiVo.
    TiVo had an older adapter called the "G" that would work only with a TiVo and the TiVos USB port.

11. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    A lot is going to depend on the router used, the distance, number and type of walls, and competing frequencies.

But, yes, I use one of these on a Mini with an ASUS RT-N66U router, using the 5GHz band, I never have any issues, performs very well, I can barely distinguish the difference between wired and wireless.