1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear Readynas has Tivo Archiving Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dadrepus, Mar 24, 2013.

1. dadrepus

dadrepus Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Did you know there was a Tivo app for that? I certainly didn't.
    newegg

Nice NAS on sale with2/ 3TB drives.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'd heard people talking about it last year. But I also figured it was cheaper just to use TiVo Desktop on a PC or on a WHS.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    ...and it's probably broken by the cookie bug.

Of course, you could fix that by installing pyTivo on it. :)

4. Impulse0022

Impulse0022 New Member

Aug 14, 2010
  5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would not be expected since those titles are not allowed to be transferred from the box they were recorded on.

6. swerver

swerver Member

May 18, 2012
    For those that have are familiar with the netgear - kmttg also offers archiving based on selecting KUID. Do you know if this works basically the same as the netgear, or are there differences?

BTW, the nas in the link above does not include 2 3TB drives.

7. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    They sell 2TB TiVos now... Probably better to upgrade when the 6-tuner comes out in the fall to a 2 or 3TB TiVo than set up this contraption...

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's a *lot* of money! Also, don't they do something weird like "mirror" your Tivo contents? So IIRC, it wasn't as much for having additional offline storage like I'd want (I'd *also* want to back up my current recordings if they were transferrable).

One of the 4 bay SATA boxes like http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HF2-SU2S2-ProBox-Enclosure-Drives/dp/B002UUPWP6 look intriguing.. yes I realize they DON'T copy off of a Tivo themselves.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been using seven of those with my WHS for over two years(one with eSATA, six with USB). They have worked great for storage. With those plus the four drives in my WHS I have 56TB of storage for my WHS to use.

10. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    HOLY ****. Someone needs a delete key! I got the XL4 because I may end up with roommates at some point, but I'd be unlikely to hit 250GB. 56TB is just insane! I do find it funny we're going back and forth on AVS and TCF.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Have no idea what WHS is.. but are you using them with *tivos*?

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Windows Home Server. Basically dead, but obviously it has it's fans out there.

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm not using them with my TiVos. I store copies of my BDs on there. But my WHS is only around half my network storage. I have a TiVo Desktop machine with around 5TB for use with my TiVos. But for other network storage I have a 32TB unRAID, an 11TB unRAID, and several other NAS devices adding around seven more Terabytes.

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Dang.. I wish some of these NAS devices would get 'cheap'. Instead, I'm looking at one of the $99-ish computer-connected devices (I'd basically call it a "multi-drive external case", though you can use computer-controlled RAID I guess) to use the cheap drives in.

15. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Storage is as cheap as ever. The only thing that's not getting way cheaper way faster is bandwidth, and even that is making progress by increasing speed significantly with minimal cost increases.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well it's not as cheap as ever. The last time I purchased a dozen or so hard drives, I paid around $65 for each 2TB drive. They aren't back to prices that low yet. What are they at now? around $100 for a 2TB drive? That's still around 50% higher than when they were at the lowest prices.

17. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Ok, almost.