1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix Really Slow?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by travisc77, Jun 28, 2010.

1. travisc77

travisc77 New Member

May 25, 2005
    Something has happened in the last month or so. I've been really happy with Netflix on my Tivo since it was introduced, but something has happened in the last month or so.

When trying to access Netflix from now playing it takes about 2 minutes to get to my que, then it takes about a minute to page down the list. During these wait times it looks frozen. If I choose a movie, it will typically take a minute or to to get to the "Resume" or "Play", when I select to stream it usually can stream fine. But going through the Netflix menu's are horribly slow.

Funny thing is that I do not have this problem with my Premiere, only my two S3's and HD. Seems an issue with the Netflix App. I've had to watch streams on my Wii & PS3, but would prefer Tivo.

Anybody else having this problem?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    No problems at all for me with a HD unit.

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Definitely not right. Try switching a "slow" TiVo to the network connection now used by the "good" TiVo. Is it still slow?

I use Netflix on my HD. I've had various problems from time to time but never this extreme slowness.

4. rb_la

rb_la New Member

Dec 16, 2002

I am having the exact same problem with my Tivo HD. Tried to watch a movie last night that was on the last page of my que and it was taking forever to page down. I gave up and used my Wii instead.

5. travisc77

travisc77 New Member

May 25, 2005
    Yeah that's exactly what's happening to me, they are all hooked up wireless to the same router. This setup hasn't changed for 3+ years, so something must have happened with with a software update.

I can't recall when was the last reboot for these machines, maybe I'll try that this evening.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The last HD software update was 11.0g in the first week of April. (Would not explain something that just started one month ago.)

Are you sure nothing has changed? Router location or antenna orientation? TiVo location or wireless adapter position/orientation? My wireless is killed whenever the microwave runs -- any new sources of interference like that? (My HD is hard wired ethernet but I use wireless for other things.)

Really long shot: Disconnect the wireless adapter from your Premiere (which must be newer than 3 years, obviously) and see if that changes anything.

7. travisc77

travisc77 New Member

May 25, 2005
    Well, I've only noticed in the last month or so, there could have been a gap in April/May when I didn't stream as much, I just can't remember.

Also, the Premiere manages the Netflix menus just fine without any slow down. It's the S3's that seem to be having the most problems and like I originally posted, if I wait long enough and actually get to "play" the actual streaming works fine. It appears to be how my S3's are managing the Netflix application.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Since they're all wireless, maybe a neighbor has set up a WiFi router on the same channel, or there's something else interfering.

9. rb_la

rb_la New Member

Dec 16, 2002
    The wireless interference issue sounds plausible but my Tivo is using a 3 foot ethernet cable direct to the router. I just checked and Blockbuster is just as slow scrolling through the titles. I just rebooted and things are much faster for both Netflix and Blockbuster. It's only been 3 weeks since I last rebooted. Did you have any better luck after reboot Travis?

10. travisc77

travisc77 New Member

May 25, 2005
    Yes the reboot worked, now the menus move as they did in the past.

That was weird, and a simple fix. I've had Tivo's for 7-8 years and never had to reboot on purpose, seems like an obvious first step from now on.

11. JV9999

JV9999 New Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I had a similar problem where Netflix was slow to the point of being unusable. When using Rhapsody the songs would often freeze again to the point of being unusable. I rebooted Tivo a few times and that didn't seem to fix the problem. Disconnecting the Tivo-branded Wifi USB adapter didn't seem to work either. I did notice that the wifi adapter was getting awfully warm in my entertainment center. Therefore, I disconnected it, stuck it in the fridge for several minutes and then reconnected it *outside* the entertainment center. That seems to have fixed the problem. Could be that the wifi adapter was getting too hot and was malfunctioning.

12. aceofspades626

aceofspades626 New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    I've been having this same problem for a couple weeks on my HD using the wireless adapter.
    I just closed the adapter (turned it off?) and reopened it a couple seconds later.
    Everything is back to full speed :)