1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix - New Problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by beeman65, Jun 14, 2013.

1. beeman65

beeman65 New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    I have a Premiere 4 with the 20.3.1 update (I will have to double check, but I believe so because I see MLB.TV is an app option now). For the past week I have had trouble Netflix. Up until that point, absolutely no problems with the app.

I will start streaming a movie or TV episode and the pause/play/up buttons do not do anything. The content will play fine, but when it is over I just get a black screen and I have to press the Tivo button to get back to the Tivo Menu. If I go back into Netflix, it loads and I can play content but the same issues happen. I have to reset the Tivo in order for Netflix to work properly again.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
  2. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Yup I'm seeing this exact issue on both my Premiere 4 and Premiere on 20.3.1. It usually happens halfway through a show either a half hour or one hour or longer. Also noticed that the subtitles freeze up during this time as well which can get annoying. I always end up having to "bail out" by using either the TiVo button, Live TV button, or Clear button, then go back into the app and pick up where I left off.
  3. SeaFractor

SeaFractor New Member

Apr 16, 2013
    If it doesn't lock up, I also have the problem of not being able to select other episodes.

If I push the Tivo button and return home, I can go back into NetFlix and watch the next episode, but the load times make this a poor work around.
  4. celtic pride

celtic pride New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Tivo is currently having problems with their servers! There another thread about this in the tivo help! thread .
  5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Netflix is also down on all platforms as well.
  6. bobharp

bobharp New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    An people wonder why I am leery of the 'cloud'. There has been a total lack of transparency about this outage. The Netflix twitter https://twitter.com/netflixfeed has been silent for 14 hours at the time of this post.

I wonder if the TiVo and Netflix issue are related?

If anyone else can dig up some news please post it.
  7. moyekj

moyekj Active Member

Jan 23, 2006
  8. bobharp

bobharp New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks moyekj. I'd still love to know more. Maybe they were stripping out all the PRISM sniffing TAPs. ;)
  9. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Separate issue though since the issue we've been experiencing started as far as I know after the 20.3.1 rollout.
  10. beeman65

beeman65 New Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Yes, issue started after the rollout and has continued after the Tivo/Netflix this past weekend. Last night I had something on pause and Netflix stopped responding. Play, Pause, Up button..none of those did anything. I had to use the Tivo button to escape.

EDIT: I just talked to Tivo Support in a chat and the agent said this, "Matthew: That is a strange issue that has been an issue with some customers after the download.
    Matthew: We are currently researching the issue in hopes of releasing a patch update to resolve any new bug issues.
    Matthew: What you may want to try is unchecking Netflix in the Video Provider Listing in Channel Settings. Force a manual connection, and then recheck and try streaming from Netflix once more."

I will try that later on. At least they know about the issue.
  11. copwriter

copwriter New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm having exactly the same problem.
  12. shamilian

shamilian New Member

Mar 26, 2003

I had the exact same condition/problem yesterday.
    Daughter left netflix paused for hours.. (luckily she shut off the TV) when we came back netflix came out of pause with the play, but then nothing worked.... except Tivo button... ( long wait for the app to shut down ).

The "fix" that they suggested is the standard song and dance for app/video provider problems. The next fix will be to unplug the tivo and wait for 30 seconds....
  13. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Seen this before and had the exact same issue last night June 17th.
    Subtitles freeze. All controls freeze.
    Even Clear does not get me out.

As a control I've switched to Netflix on my PS3 with universal remote, no problem. So it's a TiVo device or server problem.

Please fix as Netflix is unusable on TiVo.
  14. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Not having any netflix issues here... Been watching kid shows for 3-4 hours straight in the morning
  15. tom gonzalez

tom gonzalez New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I had a similar problem last night, Netflix video playing OK press pause, wait 10 seconds for video to pause, press play wait 10 seconds to play. Press TiVo button and black screen followed be reboot.
  16. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Yeah I always used my ps3 for Netflix but with the amount of Netflix I use I was afraid of burning it out or wearing it out since it runs so hot and I figured I'd just use something that is already on (the TiVo). Then these issues started. The Bluetooth remote control for the ps3 is so responsive.
  17. timon0x31

timon0x31 New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Tustin, CA
    TiVo admits there is a problem but give no timeline to get it fixed. Once they knew they had a problem they should have rolled back the newly released version rather than make everyone suffer till they get it fixed.

Tomorrow I'm demanding either they either roll mine back to the last revision or compensate me for it not working until it does. I'm not paying a full monthly fee when it's not working correctly. I don't think this is too much to ask.
  18. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Good luck with that. I asked for the exact same thing last month and they told me the only thing they can offer is to do an exchange of your box with no promise that that box won't download the new software as well either at the setup phase or any point afterwards. :( I told them that there was no point in me paying for a service that isn't working correctly and that the company seems to have no plan on fixing anytime soon. They told me that I'm welcome to cancel my service however I would be charged for the rest of my subscription, which ends in April 2014. They told me I could either do an advanced exchange which would be for them to send me a new TiVo and put a charge on my credit card for the price of a new unit, send them the "broken" unit and then they'd release the charge when they received it. Or I could send them the "broken" unit first and once they received it, they'd send a new one and the whole process would take about two weeks. Two weeks of no TiVo which I'd still be paying for and again no promise the box wouldn't download the buggy software upon setup anyway. :(
  19. ImFeklhr

ImFeklhr New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I am experiencing this problem still as of 6/25/13.
    Frozen subtitles (which also appeared when this problem did; I never used subtitles before ever)
    Can't pause.
    Black screen when program is finished.

Luckily Tivo button is working to get me out, so I don't need to do a full restart, but this is getting annoying and fast.:confused:
  20. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm having the same problem. Has TiVo provided any updates?