1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix Launching User Profiles Later This Summer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Jul 25, 2013.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    http://bgr.com/2013/06/12/netflix-account-sharing-multiple-user-profiles/

If you have a Netflix account, chances are that you have shared your password with another person. In fact, it has been estimated that as many as 10 million people are accessing the service without paying.

Netflix is currently testing multiple user profiles with a small group of individuals and plans to launch the feature by the end of August...

2. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    This would be great...enough said!

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I still don't get why some people are so cheap that they need to get an $8 a month service for free.

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    In my case, I've shared my Netflix password with my mom, daughter, niece, nephew, sister, brother-in-law, and one friend. I have hit the two-stream limit a few times and have considered upgrading to the four-stream plan for $11.99. If Netflix locked-down the service, I'm guessing they would lose customers. They've probably figured out the churn associated with a more restrictive policy and decided the current two-stream plan is a better way to handle password sharing.

If I cut-off my sister to Netflix, I'm not sure she would subscribe...although Orange is the New Black was very good!

5. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The only person who I've shared my password with is my son. He watches Netflix in his dorm room at college. Other than that I haven't given it out. But there is a good chance that I'll be moving to another city for work while the family stays behind. And if I do, then I'll get the $11.99 plan just to be safe.

I agree that $8 isn't much. I do understand why people share accounts though, but in the majority of cases I still don't think it's right.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't currently sub to NetFlix but if they offered multiple user profiles I might sub and make a gift of it and one of my Ruko's to my sister. She would never sub on her own as she only watches TV now and then (last time I talked to her about TV she hadn't watch any TV for over 2 weeks) but she does like to watch a movie now and then and sometimes rents DVDs. I have enough to watch without it but between the 2 of us we might get enough use to justify the $8.

7. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Aside from sharing your password with other outside your home, this would be really useful for those of us whom have not shared our passwords with anyone but those we live with.

8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Awesome. I have long been wanting to be able to have my kids launch Netflix, and click a profile selection that will just show them items in THEIR queue, not mine. And suggestions appropriate for them.

I hope this will do that.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's cool. I actually haven't shared my password with family specifically because I don't want them adding stuff to my queue or messing up my suggestions. If they add profiles I'll probably set one up for my Wife, my Mom and my Sister.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Of course the TiVo Netflix app will likely be tied to a specific user profile so won't really be of any help if that is your primary client.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Premier one will likely get updated eventually, but the one on the S3 units probably wont.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Then you don't understand why people pirate movies, TV shows, music, games, etc.? Think of all of the talk of BitTorrent and Napster. Yes, those *can* be used legally... But are they? Mostly not. (Obviously I mean the *old* napster)

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I already had user profiles with DVDs!

14. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town

It would still work good for a TiVo in a Kids/playroom then.

15. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    User profiles would be fantastic. My house has six Netflix watchers, each with unique tastes. I'd love to be better able to separate out queues and recommendations.

I seem to recall, way back, didn't Netflix have multiple profiles? I seem to recall having separate queues for my kids' discs and our adult ones, back when we were on a 2-discs a month plan. Then we went streaming-only.

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They did have profiles for discs. I remember seeing something about them phasing out the disc profiles in a few months. I wonder why they're getting rid of disc profiles and addi streaming profiles?

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They still have profiles for discs? I'm fairly certain those went away a long time ago. I can see why they wouldn't want to deal with queues for discs. I think the logistics of shipping from multiple queues could be difficult.

Adding profiles to streaming makes perfect sense. I hope Tivo will do the same to the Tivo.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know for sure when it went away. I remember seeing something about it in the Happy Hour very recently saying that it was ending. But I haven't had netflix disc service in almost 2 years so I can't say for sure.

19. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002

They were going to remove them, but then enough people complained that they allowed anyone with existing profiles to keep them. I think the option was hidden from new subscribers and anyone that didn't utilize the feature. Profiles for disks worked pretty well for me for years. I had 2 discs from the queue while my wife's profile had 1 disc assigned. But I went streaming only a few years back.

While I'm excited to see the profiles being added to streaming, it all comes down to client support. If it isn't implemented on the clients I use, then it is basically useless to me.

20. alex_h

alex_h New Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Fort...
    Have two discs, didn't ever use the profiles (but thought about it). For streaming, I would be fine with each App being linked to a Profile. The wife and I can have an unrestricted account, the kids can have a restricted account with their shows. I don't really want to pay for two accounts, but I hate not being able to watch non-child-friendly content without risking my little kids accidentally clicking on it if they are given unsupervised access via an iPad or something.