1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix isn't watchable

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by skruggie, Feb 3, 2013.

1. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Does anyone else have this issue? Netflx is painfully slow to load, the browse screen gets cutoff - but the worst part is the quality of the video.

While I get a perfectly fine video when using either apple tv or connecting my iPad directly to my tv, when watching through TiVo the video is pixelated and unwatchable.

I am using the wireless n adaptor, but even whe I tried a direct connection it wasn't that much improved.

Is this just the way it is or are there suggestions on how to get a better experience?

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    No it's not just that way, although TiVo is one of more "brittle" (easy to lock up) Netflix clients IMO. What DNS servers is your network using? I also have Google TV (Logitech Revue) and as part of getting reliable Netflix performance on it they recommend the Google servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and a static IP address. However my TiVo isn't on a static IP and I don't have the problems you do.

Hard to imagine what the problem would be other than something about your network and internet. But I don''t know what else to suggest.

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Uncheck 1080p in Video Settings

4. skruggie

skruggie New Member

Jun 28, 2002

This actually did the trick - I found an old thread from earlier this year complaining about the exact same issues. I adjusted my video settings and the picture is now more or less equal to viewing on apple tv. I'm going to play with it a bit more today with various types of programming, my test with West Wing was a success.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Interesting and new info for me! Good for you, and an example of the benefits of using the forum search feature. I've always had my TiVo resolution set on fixed 720p because my TV is "only" a 40" screen and at our viewing distance we can't see any superiority with the 1080i setting.

Kind of sad you have to be so pro-active to solve such a basic problem. This info should be given prominent notice by both TiVo and Netflix. Technically speaking, I don't understand why this setting should even be so important -- but such is the nature of many computer and video issues.

6. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    One more Tip...
    Never enter Netflix with the TiVo in Zoom or Full. Make sure the Aspect Ratio is always Panel. When in Zoom mode SD content in Netflix will not be in the correct Ratio. Once in Netfix, there is no way to switch the Aspect Ratio, you have to Exit to TiVo Central to change it.