1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon - Why?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TC25D, Sep 2, 2013.

1. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I understand the appeal of these services to cordcutters and people who like movies, but for people who have cable service, and aren't that big into movies, what's the point of having both cable and one (or more) of these services?
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    For me I have Netflix because there are a few old TV shows I'm catching up on and for the original series. (House of Cards and Orange is the New Black were both excellent, haven't caught up to the new season of Arrested Development yet) I also watch an occasional movie, but their selection is a bit lacking so that's not a big draw. (at $7.95/mo it's not really that different then having a premium channel) I don't have Hulu. And the only time I use Amazon is to buy an episode of a show that I missed because my cable was out or it got rescheduled last minute and caused my TiVo to miss it.
  3. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ New Member

Jan 12, 2011
    For those times (more often lately) when you just cant find anything you want to watch on linear cable. I have Amazon Prime. Its nice for those occasions when someone drops over and wants to watch a movie too. Since I dont have any premium channels, its nice to toss them the remote and tell them to find something they want to watch. Cant beat the two day free shipping either. I order almost everything from Amazon. I hate shopping in crowded stores.
  4. mdscott

mdscott New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Granddaughter is working through Bones & Dr. Who at a steady pace.:)
  5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    They offer different content than cable has to offer. You may be satisfied with the content on cable, but many people want content that cable doesn't offer so they pay another service for it. It's pretty much the same reason most people choose cable or satellite over OTA tv.
  6. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Hulu is worth to me, if only for some of the "Original Programming" and British comedy available.

I watch less cable and recorded shows because of the programming available on these services.
  7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    I think I end up watching more shows on cable because of services like Netflix. Because I've found several shows on streaming services that I was able to catch up on and then start watching current episodes on broadcast TV.

Without the ability easily and quickly catch up on the shows I would have never started watching them. Nikita and Scandal are two shows I did that with last year.
  8. abovethesink

abovethesink Member

Aug 26, 2013
    For people who are very heavy media consumers, these services bundled with a cable package simply provide access to more on demand content. These services are also recently creating their own original programming accessible no where else. I have really enjoyed House of Cards and Orange is the New Black on Netflix for example.

Finally, if you have young kids around, Netlix and Amazon are a seemingly infinite resource machine when it comes to children's content.
  9. plfarley

plfarley New Member

May 27, 2007
    Sometimes I will see a story on Yahoo such as "Five Greatest Movie Chase Scenes" then it lists the movies.
    I can go to Netflix and search for the movies. Hopefully they are available for streaming, but not always.

This gives me some entertainment or can start a conversation with friends.