1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix app causing reboots?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by David Knowles, Jun 30, 2012.

1. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Hello,

I started using the NetFlix app after joining Netflix while I was in the hospital.

Out of the 6 or 10 times I have used it, the app caused the Tivo Premier XL to reboot.

Tonight, when I selected Netflix. the Netflix screen did not come up and it just rebooted.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Also, the app is very slow...

Thanks

2. gbm

gbm New Member

Oct 6, 2001
    Having problems here as well.

Sometimes Netflix works fine and other times it will lock up. Last night, after watching a show on Netflix, I hit the TiVo button and the screen went to a solid gray...actually looked like the old static we used to see on analog TVs. Totally locked up. Had to cut the power and reboot.

I think the problem may relate to Internet status. After rebooting, I needed to reset my router. I'm not sure if the TiVo caused the router problem or not, but I think the TiVo software has trouble acting gracefully when the Internet connection is having trouble.

George

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Last night netflix was down completely due to storms out east.

4. Jul 1, 2012 #4 of 32
    rarceneaux

rarceneaux New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Not sure if the Premier has the same setup but my Tivo HD was doing the same thing and I called Tivo and they told me the fix right away. I had TV Aspect Ratio set to smart screen and she had me change it to 16:9 and no more reboots.

5. Jul 1, 2012 #5 of 32
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are you sure it's a Netflix problem and not a network problem? Tivo seems to be VERY sensitive to network problems and will reboot on a whim.

6. Jul 2, 2012 #6 of 32
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    The app is crap (buggy) and has caused me at least one reboot and another time or two of complete slow down.

7. Jul 2, 2012 #7 of 32
    chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Two reboots here so far. I thought it was just me since no one else had posted.

8. Jul 5, 2012 #8 of 32
    MJHoltorf

MJHoltorf New Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Rancho...
    One reboot for each of my Tivo's so far. Both of them locked up during Netflix use, and never for any other reason over 8 weeks. The app is still unstable :thumbsdown:

9. Jul 5, 2012 #9 of 32
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've been using Netflix quite extensively (~3 hours/day) for 2 Premieres and an Elite and so far no reboot issues for me.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It was working great for me last night on one of my Elites.

11. MJHoltorf

MJHoltorf New Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Rancho...
    Granted, the first reboot didn't occur for about 6 weeks of almost daily Netflix use, so it may take a while between issues. For me though, both the Premiere and the XL4 locked up during Netflix use within a couple days of each other, and only a reboot would return the Tivo's to functional behavior again.

12. gaspanic

gaspanic New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Maryland
    I have had a few reboots on one of my Premieres using Netflix over the last few weeks. Sometimes it works fine. My other Premiere hasn't had a problem.

13. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    More issues with the Netflix app over the weekend.

One day half way though the program I was not able to pause or exit the app - I had to reboot.

Another day I got a message that it was unable to connect to Netflix and the whole box rebooted.

14. justrick

justrick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    TiVo Premiere connected via Ethernet... Netflix now forces a reboot every single time I try to run it. Worked flawlessly before... now, something's obviously FUBAR. But what?

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I've been using Netflix a lot last few days without any issue. Maybe what helps is I use SDUI instead of HDUI.

16. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I just started using Netflix on Tivo and it has locked up on me and forced a reboot as well. When I try to pause or rewind the buttons dont seem to work and then a few minutes into the show it will pause and rewind.

Seems like I will cancel streaming service.

Wish I could download the program to watch later rather than stream like I can do with Amazon

17. eshultz

eshultz New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I have a TiVo Premiere connected via Ethernet which I had been using Neflix on for about a month with no problems. However, in the last two days everytime I try to access Neflix I get a can't connect error. After clicking on the "OK" fox the TiVo reboots. This is especially aggravating since it will interrupt any recordings in progress! My internet service seems to be rock solid on other devices.

18. markdu

markdu New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Memphis area
    I've been using an Apple TV for Netflix and the Netflix app on it keeps crashing. Always when the movie/tv show is over. It was working fine up until a few weeks ago.

I've not tried Netflix with my TiVO.

19. thalador

thalador Member

Oct 25, 2007
    I have not had my tivo reboot itself, but netflix does seem to lock it up after a while. If I watch lets say 4 or 5 episodes of something and then hit the live tv button, the only way I know how to get out of the silly app, it locks up completely. Only way to fix is pull the plug and reboot.

20. tahoeflier

tahoeflier New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    My Premier TiVo has rebooted three times today when I access Netflix. It did the same earlier this week but only thought more about it when it happened again and again. My network connection is good. It's direct wired connection, not wireless. Everything else is fine. I see from the thread that this must be more than a bad network connection...