1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netflix 4:3 content displayed in Zoom?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by CoxInPHX, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    EDIT: It just corrected itself, after playing Farscape S01E01, very odd....

I just noticed that all Netflix 4:3 content on both my TiVos is being displayed at Zoom 16:9 mode I cannot find a way to change the format,
    No the TV is not set to Zoom.
    I have the second Fall Update 20.2.2.1
    All the StarTrek TV series are a good test.

The 4:3 content plays fine on my computers, Is this a new bug?
    My Bluray player also displays correctly.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have always had to adjust the zoom settings on the TiVo before entering the Netflix app. The button doesn't work while playing a Netflix video. Choose from Panel, Full and Zoom before going into the app.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah, stupidly the zoom feature of the TiVo effects Netflix but can not be adjusted from within the Netflix app. So if it's set incorrectly you have to back out, adjust the zoom in a TiVo recording, and then reenter the Netflix app.

Dan

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It has been a while since I'v run into this issue. I'll try it out on my end and see if it still happens.

Dan

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The TiVo Zoom mode was the issue and the fix. and is repeatable for me.

If the TiVo is Zoomed prior to entering Netflix the 4:3 content is also Zoomed. This does not appear to affect 16:9 Netflix content.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    There's actually a reason for this, historically. The Zoom button code does get sent on to HME apps (like the old Netflix app... I assume this is also true with the new Flash apps, but I haven't tested that), but then the app has to act on it -- and there's no function to change the zoom mode in the HME API (at least not that's been made public, and I haven't seen any sign of it otherwise).

I got around this in HME/VLC, by using the discrete network remote codes for the various zoom modes ('ASPECT_CORRECTION_PANEL', etc.); when the TiVo gets one of these, it acts on it immediately instead of passing it on to the app. So HME/VLC responds to the zoom code by cycling through the discrete codes. To my knowledge, it's the only HME app that will let you change the zoom mode from within it. Unfortunately, since the network remote interface can only take one connection at a time, this doesn't work if you're controlling HME/VLC with a network-based remote.

I never heard of that. It doesn't match my observations. I don't think there is a "default" zoom mode, anyway; it's just three different modes with equal standing.