1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed: Series 3 Power supply

Discussion in 'Buyer/Seller Area' started by Zcar78, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Zcar78

Zcar78 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    Anyone looking to sell a working Series 3 power supply...Part # SPWR-00008-000.
    I am looking to buy.

Looking for the card to replace my dead clicking one.

Please email me.
    Thanks,

Zcar1978@gmail.com

2. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Have you looked into the Series 3 area lately? Many people are reconditioning their Series 3 Tivos by replacing 10 capacitors on the power supply for (IIRC) under $10 if you can solder yourself. Or buy the caps and find a local repair shop that doesn't charge the earth for their services.

3. Zcar78

Zcar78 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    I am not sure I want to get too involved in replacing the Caps, I would like to just replace the card.
    Hopefully someone out there has one. Its my bedroom Tivo so I am in no rush to get it up and running again.
    If worse comes to worse I will try the soldering fix.
    Thanks

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Weaknees has them, but they're $100 and that's after you return your old one to them. ($150 with $50 rebate for old unit)

You could try to find a non-lifetime S3 on eBay and use it for parts, but the problem there is you're still getting an old, used, power supply with no guarantee as to how long it will last.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    YOu can probably find a local electronics shop who can replace them for you as well.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking about a power supply for the original S3, the TCD648250, or for the S3 HD or HD XL?

If it's the HD there are two different but interchangeable supplies.

If it's the 648 I may be buying a broken lifetimed one soon, and if the problem isn't fixable I'll be open to getting some money back out of it.

7. Zcar78

Zcar78 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    If its the same part number let me know.

I have the original OLED series 3...
    Thanks

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's the 648, or to be picky about it, that model is the TCD648250 or TCD648250B (and I have no idea what the difference is), and it uses a supply that's unique to that model because of the extra 7.5 Volt output for the front panel display.

I'll know in a few days if I can fix the 648 I'm getting or if I'll be interested in parting it out.

Too bad you aren't in Raleigh or Philly, I could refer you to someone who could do the repair in either of those two places.

But you're in a big enough place you should be able to find a repair shop that can answer "yes" to the question of "Can you guys replace some Low ESR, 105 degree caps in a switch mode power supply at a decent price?"

I wouldn't pay more than $50, parts included.

I can get you a list of the caps on the board that the culprit or culprits will be among in a few days.

9. Zcar78

Zcar78 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Pittsburgh
  10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Fortunately for me the 648 I got does need the power supply fixed but since it's lifetimed and works just fine with a known good supply, I'll be repairing it, so unfortunately for you I won't have an extra one.

But I'll be happy to talk you through fixing yours, having done about 3 S2 supplies and an S3 HD supply sucessfully already.

You can get an email to me by clicking my user name.