1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to upgrade...but can't update drive in Premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kevreh, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    I'm trying to figure out my options. The HDMI port in my TIVO HD is broke, and I want to avoid the componant cable hookup. I have a 1tb drive in the HD I installed a few years ago.

Fair enough, maybe time to get the newest TIVO series box. But, from what I understand TIVO is preventing people from putting in their own drives? What??? And there's only 1 external drive I can buy? And the 1 tb internal drive updates from place like weaknees are like $200?! What a crappy business model. Way to take away options and make people pay more than what they did before.

And it sounds like transferring shows may not work, depending on copyrights?

What the h*ll, in a competitive DVR field why is TIVO removing "features"?
    Also, while I'm ranting, did the HD menu's get faster yet, or are they still slugish? Seems odd they talk about new slicker-looking menu's but otoh the performance isn't there (or wasn't based on some reports I read).

Sorry, but been a long time customer, just doesn't seem like TIVO is trying to take care of its customers with this.

2. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    You need to try the upgrade forum:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=455968
    Upgrade the harddrive is as easy as it ever was, if not even easier. Comer did a great job of making the process Next, Next, Next, Wait, Long Wait, Next and Done. And then you'll have up to 2TB of storage space.
    weaknees doesn't have a crappy business model, he is providing a service to those to lazy/fearful/etc to open their Tivo.

You can't blame Tivo for not permitting the transferring of shows, they have to follow the rules of the license owner.

Check the threads on the firmware upgrades to get up to date on what changes have been made in the software in the Premiere, they've made progress, but of course we always want more. Personally I prefer the SD menu style. Shrug.

3. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    I agree about weaknees, I was aiming that at Tivo. Thanks for pointing out this link. Time to sit back and read through 50+ pages of discussion.

Thanks again.

4. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    you can get pre-formatted drives fairly cheap on ebay FWIW

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think you're misunderstanding. You can still upgrade the drive in a Premiere just like you could in older units. The difference is when it comes to other hacks. The Premiere units are locked down pretty good so they can not be hacked like older units. But I'm 99% sure the Premiere units can still have their hard drives upgraded just like older units.

Dan

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Not quite as easy because the Premeire requires a direct copy from a working drive versus earlier models where you could capture and restore a truncated image.

7. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Skip reading the 50+ pages, skip to the last 10 or so and see what are the currently known to work drives, every now and then there seems to be a drive or motherboard (gigabyte I'm looking at you) that doesn't play nice.
    The WD20EURS gets a thumbs up. Then just follow the USAGE BASIC instructions in the first post. You probably should check the WDidle settings, see the 50+ page thread for details :)

The copy does take a long time, it took over night on my PC, but it is dated and so likely has SATA1 ports. Enjoy the 300+ hours of HD space.

8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, one bit (someone please correct me) -- you need a 2 TB drive or smaller. Larger than 2 TB drives are now starting to get cheap, but you can't use >2 TB drive EVEN if you were willing to waste the >2TB space. Others have said Tivos won't even boot with a >2TB drive installed.

Bummer, so I'm probably going to get ANOTHER drive to use externally (via kmttg & streambaby which is built into the OS X port of pytivo) for storage.

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say external do you mean external to a PC, or external to the TiVo?

As I understand it, you can only use an external on a TiVo if the internal is the original size and not larger.

10. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    @unitron: Given that mattack references kmttg & streambaby I read it to mean on a PC, and not an external eSATA drive attached to the Tivo. Weaknees do have the ability to do 2TB internal and 2TB external, but at $550, I'd just go with a second Tivo :D

@mattack: I believe you can use kmttg to pull, strip ads, encode to mpeg4, and push back to Tivo. This will reduce the amount of space that is consumed on the Tivo. I think kmttg can do a good job of just polling particular programs, it has been a while since I played with it, so you could have it do this for stuff you flag as KUID, as there is little point in having it do this for stuff you going to dump in a day or two.

11. kevreh

kevreh New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Fairfax, Va
    BTW, the section labeled "Is the internal hard drive be upgradable like past TiVos?" in the FAQ thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=444083) is what set me off. Looks like the FAQs haven't been updated since 2010, maybe time for an update.