1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need (simple) help with WinMFS

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by The Great Inert, Jun 21, 2012.

1. The Great Inert

The Great Inert New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    The hard drive in my S2 recently started the GSOD-reboot loop. As it is a 1TB with a lot of recordings I want to keep, I intend (if I can) to do a backup onto a new 1TB.

Earlier today I took the drive out of the Tivo, connected it to my PC, and ran WinMFS just to test if the HD controller was working. (I ran SMART on the drive a few days ago and it reported back as fine.) An interesting thing happened with WinMFS: although the program recognized the drive as being connected, MFSInfo reported that it was "Not a TIVO drive". When I ran "View Drive Information," the lines where the Tivo Software and Model Numbers should be were blank. This leads me to think that somehow the TIVO software has become corrupted, and that I would probably need to restore the software before I could do a clone of the dying drive to the new drive.

So here are my questions: I have a virgin 6.2 kernel I DL'd from here. Can I copy this kernel (using WinMFS>Tools>Restore Tivo Drive) to "restore" the OS on the dying drive? If I try this, will I inadvertently wipe my recordings? Any help is more appreciated than you know, and thanks for bearing with this longer post.

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    STOP! If you could run Kick Start 54 then the boot page is/was fine. There is something funky about the PC setup. Download and burn the MFSTools boot CD. Unplug or remove all Hard Disk drives from the PC. Then when you get the PC to boot to the Linux command line then power off the PC and add the TiVo drive boot to the command prompt and type in cat /proc/partitions (all lower case) report back the information returned.

Now some information about the PC is needed what HD controller are you using.

3. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    HomeUser,

Many, many thanks for your replies. Here is the information I got after running cat /proc/partitions:

Major Minor #Blocks Name

8 0 976762584 sda
    8 1 31 sda1
    8 2 0 sda2
    8 3 4096 sda3
    8 4 131072 sda4
    8 5 0 sda5
    8 6 4096 sda6
    8 7 131072 sda7
    8 8 131072 sda8
    8 9 131072 sda9
    8 10 262144 sda10
    8 11 17074729 sda11
    8 12 262144 sda12
    8 13 22080630 sda13
    8 14 1024 sda14
    8 15 936540160 sda15

I also ran MFSInfo and got this:

TYPE NAME LENGTH BASE SIZE

Apple_Partition_Map Apple 63 1
    Image Bootstrap 1 1 78310782
    Image Kernel 1 8192 78310783 4 MB
    EXT 2 Root 1 262144 78318975 128 MB
    Image Bootstrap 2 1 78581119
    Image Kernel 2 8192 78581120 4 MB
    EXT 2 Root 2 262144 78589312 128 MB
    Swap Linux Swap 262144 78851456 128 MB
    EXT 2 /var 262144 79113600 128 MB
    MFS MFS App Region 524288 79375744 256 MB
    MFS MFS Media Reg 34149458 44161324 16.3 GB
    MFS MFSAppRegion2 524288 79900032 256 MB
    MFS MFSMedReg2 44161260 64 21.1 GB
    MFS MFSAppbyWinMFS 2048 80424320 1 MB
    MFS MFSExpandbyWinMFS 1873080320 80426368 893.2 GB

Again, your help is more appreciated than you know! :)

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Whew, First glance the partition structure still looks valid.

Do you have another hard drive 1TB or larger that you can binary copy this drive to? It would be best to work with a copy. Read about using dd_rescue.

For now download the drives manufactures "run from CD" diagnostics. What brand and model is the drive? you should be able to find the diagnostics on the drive manufactures web page search for the model.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hey, Inert, what's the model number of the TiVo?

6. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    Thank you for your reply, Unitron. My S2 is a TCD240040, obviously upgraded to a 1 TB drive.

HomeUser: I ran WD's diagnostic as you suggested, and it wouldn't even let me get past the first SMART test. To paraphrase the program results, "One or more current values are below threshold". I am fairly certain the PCB is either totally or partially fried; there are scorch marks on one of the chips. (The drive is a WD10EADS.)

As a hail-Mary, I'm trying to do a clone now through WinMFS. It's currently attempting to copy Partition 7... waiting to see what happens next...

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have another 1TB or larger drive you can just do a byte for byte copy if necessary, with

dd_rescue

and adjust some of its parameters to increase your chances of success if WinMFS fails you.

8. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    Unitron,

Do I need to use a particular Linux distribution to run dd_rescue, and/or is it already included in MFStools?

Many thanks for your input!

9. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    MFS Tools is out of date.

The most (and likely last) replacement for it, compatible with backups it made, is the MFS Live cd, v1.4

Even if you don't have a TiVo you should burn yourself a copy of that.

available at mfslive.org and maybe elsewhere if they have a problem

Was WinMFS less than successful?

10. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    If you have to restart the copy and there is space available on the new drive you might increase the swap partition to 1024 or at least 512 the extra space is wasted because the Series 2 TiVo drives can only be expanded once. Do it using the MFSLive boot CD on the MFSLive web site there is an Interactive Command Generator to help you with the command.

Burnt chip on the TiVo MB or the Hard Drive? If the TiVo see this thread WARNING: Please read before upgrading Series2 TiVo

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Any chance that 10EADS is still under warranty?

It should have had a 3 year one.

12. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    As I sit here and wait for dd_rescue to run, I want to thank both of you again for your help. If I could buy you both a drink of your choice I would.

Unitron: I became impatient with WinMFS and stopped the clone. In doing so, an interesting thing happened. When I checked the partitions on the new drive in MFSlive, it showed that 10 of the 15 partitions from the failing drive actually transferred to the new drive. (I probably should have been more patient, since it seems the clone was close to finishing.) So there's some hope that the clone I'm doing right now in dd_rescue will, when it eventually finishes, work.

HomeUser: Fortunately the Tivo MB is fine. The burnt chip was on the PCB of the drive. Over the last few hours I've learned that the burnt chip problem is a common one on the WD drive I have (WD10EADS.)

Of course, I have another (probably terribly obvious) question. How will I know when dd_rescue is finished? Right now all I'm getting are screens after screens of data (I'm running in text mode) and no sense at all of how far along the program is. (If it matters, I'm transferring from a 1TB to a 1TB and dd_rescue has been running for a little over two hours now.) Will the program give me a clear signal that it's finished, or will it simply "freeze" (as MFSInfo did) when it finishes?

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm assuming you're running

dd_rescue

off of the MFS Live cd

I hope I remembered to tell you to run

dd_rescue -v

(that's the verbose switch, shows a constant stream of text about what it's doing)

It'll probably end with an EOF (end of file) message, which means it reached the end of the source drive, which, to it, is a file (in Unix-ish stuff, everything's a file).

If the screen goes blank, tap the space bar.

When it finishes

pdisk -l

(that's a lower case L)

should show you the partition maps for both drives.

It might choke on the cd drive, and it won't show anything partition-wise for a DOS/Windows-type drive.

Let's say your source drive is /dev/sda and the target is /dev/sdb

pdisk -l /dev/sdb

will show you just the partition map for the target drive

Then

mfsinfo /dev/sdb

should show if it's recognized as a TiVo drive.

reboot

will cause the computer to reboot

poweroff

will cause it to properly shut down

14. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    It will return to the command prompt when done. Depending on the speed of your PC and drives it will probably take 12 or more hours.

15. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    Unitron: I called WD and it is still under warranty... BUT (and you could probably just feel that this was coming,) WD will not simply replace the PCB on the drive and ship it back. They will only send a "new" drive. Of course, if I wanted to use one of their partner DR companies and spend $350 to get my drive back, I'm welcome to do that (at least that's what the rep on the phone said.)

HomeUser: I hope (sincerely) that your 12 hour estimate is correct, because dd_rescue has been running for seven and a half hours now... :eek:

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Yeah, but once you get your data off onto another drive (and I don't think the data recovery companies know how to recover TiVo stuff anyway, just Windows or Mac files), you don't need that drive anymore, and WD owes you a 1TB drive (which you can slap into a PC running Desktop and store shows on).

17. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    The last time I copied drives using dd_rescue. I recall I started the transfer sometime in the evening around 9PM I let it run over-nite was not finished when I went to work in the morning so the copy finished somewhere between 8AM and 6PM (11 - 21 hours) and that was a 750G IDE the time will be affected by the number of re-reads needed.

18. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    Unitron: I actually didn't think of that. Thank you!

19. The Great Inert

Jun 20, 2012
    HomeUser: As I write this, dd_rescue has entered it's twentieth :eek: hour of running. What's interesting is that it does not seem to be copying anything from drive to drive--all I've gotten is screen after screen of bad sector information. I'm hoping to see something that indicates that files are being copied soon...

Actually, that leads to a good question. How does the program indicate that it's copying files?

20. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    dd_rescue does not copy files the program copies binary sectors making a bit by bit image of the original drive (containing the files). Most copy programs will stop copying at the first error dd_rescue tries several times then moves on to the next sector.

If your seeing bad sector information then the program is still running usually the bad sectors are grouped together so you will see a lot of the errors all at once hopefully the errors will stop and the copy will continue. Because the re-reads take longer the time to copy will also. I would let the copy run for at least another 12 hrs depending on how much you want the data.

When the program is done you will see the MFSLive command prompt again and if I recall a message about the size of data transferred.