1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need image for Tivo Premeire 320GB

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by AintHurtinNobody, Mar 3, 2013.

1. AintHurtinNobody

AintHurtinNobody New Member

Mar 3, 2013
    From poking around on this forum and using the The Google, I think I know the answer to my question before I even ask it, but I'm going to check to see if any of the smarter folks on here have a better idea than me.

I bought the Tivo Premiere TCD746320 from Woot! in September. A couple of weeks ago I got the GSOD. It was making it to the screen that means, per my understanding, that it was reading from the drive. The kickstart codes did nothing, it just kept looping. After a few days, I used winmfs tools on it, which I realize screws it up -- but it wasn't working anyway, so...

I've come to accept the fact that the only way to fix the drive is to do a bit-for-bit copy from a good one. But most of the options to do that don't make sense for me.

You see, I bought the Tivo really just to use as an OTA converter box. We recently cut the cord, and we have an older Mitsubishi HD projection TV that is HD (1080i) but has an analog tuner. So I just wanted a simple HD tuner for the remainder of the TV's lifespan (it is impossible to find HD OTA standalone tuners). So I was using the Tivo without subscription. It gave me the channels, without the guide and DVR, of course, but we really didn't have a lot of need for that, anyway.

Because I don't want/need the subscription, buying an upgraded drive makes zero sense to me (especially considering they are 3x what I paid for the Tivo). And I thought about borrowing one from Best Buy, etc., to copy the drive, but the 320GB can't be found in B&Ms (wonder why it was on Woot?).

The closest reasonable option I've found would be to buy a used one on eBay and copy it. By the time I pay shipping, though, a used one will cost as much as I paid for this one.

So, does anyone have any better ideas than me just adding a 320GB, $55 drive to my PC and move on to some other solution (HTPC?)?
  2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006