1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with Series 1 DTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Brolan, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Brolan

Brolan New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    I've had to give up the cable service I've used for eleven years. That means the 2009 digital conversion has finally hit home for me and my Sony SVR-2000.

I know the series 1 was not intended to be used with digital converters but I am trying to find one that is compatable. I have a Tivax STB-T8, but I can't find any IR codes that work. Has anyone gotten this to work with a Series 1? Or is there another digital coverter that does work? Thanks in advance.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    As far as the IR database goes, the Apex DTV converter will work with code 10020 for a Hughes cable or satellite box. Insignia and Zenith converters will work with code 10075 for a LG satellite box. Those are the only matches that I know of.

If you have your SVR-2000 hacked so that you can telnet into it and transfer files it's possible to run a .tcl script to overwrite one of the cable or satellite boxes that it does know about with the ones for your Tivax, but it's a pain and the next IRDB update will probably restore it back.

P.S. All the codes for DTV converters are actually in the IR database on a Series 1, it just doesn't have a way to access them through the menus.

3. Brolan

Brolan New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Thanks for the info, I'll look for those other converters and use the Tivax on another TV. It's really too bad Tivo choose not to do the little bit of extra work to enable the IR codes for the converters, I was considering buying the Premiere, but now I'm rethinking that.

4. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You probably won't be able to tune to any of the over the air sub-channels with a series 1. I get 8 sub-channels and I regularly watch and record from 5 of them. If you have any sub-channels in your area that you want to record from, it might be worth it to get a used series 2 with lifetime service for ~$120 online or check craigslist.

5. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    My Series 1 has been one of the ones that has been crashing on data downloads for the last few months. After seeing all the complaints about unfixed Premiere issues, I concluded that the chance of anything being done for the old S1 was very slim. There are several reasonably inexpensive OTA DTV DVRs that you might want to also consider. (Channel Master CM-7000PAL, Sezmi, and another whose name escapes me at the moment.)

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I'd hardly call the Echostar/Channel Master DTVPal DVR "inexpensive", especially not when compared to a used Series 2 with Lifetime.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The CM7000 is dual tuner HD, something that cannot be said of a Series 2+DTA combination.

8. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    It seems that I was using a DTV pal digital converter with a Series 1, but don't remember for sure. And the Pal wasn't in the listing for IR codes, but I used a Ecostar or Dish code and it worked. But only when I set up for cable. Most of the channels were correct in the lower range, but not all.
    The reason that I initially bought the DTVpal was because U could set it up to change channels on a scheduled basis, so U could actually use it with a VCR. Albeit it was a pain to use and set up.

9. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Yeah, not to mention used vs new. And lifetime wasn't a bad idea years ago, but I think it's questionable on an SD box that has to drive an external DTV receiver that downconverts. It just doesn't seem to me that there's much of a "lifetime" left for that for most people. Even if money is an issue, that old (probably CRT) SD set is going to die someday so investing new money in a box in the middle that is SD-only just doesn't make sense to me.

But your mileage may vary so that's why I suggested that the OP might consider it. I considered it fairly seriously before deciding that I couldn't go without Discovery and a few other non-OTAs.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is that the Tivax with the serial port? I seem to remember one of their models having one.

11. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    As far as replacing standard definition TVs, they can be replaced for free on craigslist, or very cheap at the thrift stores. For people with any money, they will certainly go with High Definition, but if U look at completed listings on ebay U will see there is still a huge demand for SD series 2 Tivos, as they sell for over $100! Over $200 for dual tuner.
    And I just talked to a guy that got internet service with Comcast, and he got basic cable TV for free. Comcast doesn't tell U that, but he says that it works great.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Technically he's either forced to pay for basic cable in order to have cable in order to have cable internet, or he's "theft of service"-ing the basic cable.

I'd be interested to know if the cable company installer installed a splitter, or if they gave him a "hook it up yourself" kit that included a splitter.

13. replaytv

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Comcast came out and connected his internet and the the tech told him that he gets free cable basic. Although he has no 'rights' to it, or support included.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Where cableco's are concerned, nothing's ever really free.

15. Brolan

Brolan New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Yes, but as far as I know it is used for maintenance of the Tivax only.

16. Brolan

Brolan New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new Premiere, the converters only allow you to access the -1 channels and I'm not sure how much longer my eleven year old SVR-2000 would last anyway.