1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need extra ethernet ports where Tivo mini is

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jayerndl, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    I have a Tivo mini setup in a room with no wired etherent and am using MOCA with my Roamio Pro to create a MOCA network. In that same room I would like to connect a couple of other devices (Blu-ray, roku, etc.) using wired ethernet. Can I use this MOCA/Ethernet switch to provide ethernet connections for my other devices? If so is there a better and/or less expensive solution? Thanks.

Jay

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    That should work fine. Price looks right too.

3. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the reply. Looking more closely at the device I see it has a coax IN and a TV out coax jack in addition to the 4 Ethernet ports. Will it work to connect the TV out of the ChannelMaster to the coax in of the Mini or should I connect the Mini via one of the Ethernet ports.

Jay

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Couldn't say for sure, but I suspect not. Most adapters don't pass moca through the TV-out jack. So if not, you'll have 2 choices:

- Connect the Mini to this box by ethernet.
    - Splitter. One leg going to Mini, the other to this box.

5. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    I don't know about better, but as far as cheaper is concerned, you can get used verizon fios actiontec routers (model MI424wr) cheaper on Ebay. There are instructions at dslreports on setting these up as a moca bridge.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have four or five FiOS MoCA Actiontecs gathering dust in my closet. I opted to get the Actiontec ECB3500T01 with GigE ports and MoCA instead of using the Actiontec routers. They had been lousy as routers so I didn't want to really use them for MoCA to Ethernet..

7. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    Well after a little more looking around I decided to spend $9 and ordered a Directv Deca Ethernet to coax adapter from Amazon. I already have one deca on hand and an extra 5 port switch. Reportedly these work very well to provide Ethernet over coax. You just can't run catv signal on the same line, which I won't be doing. I'll find out in couple of days. These deca adapters normally sell for around $50 which is similar to the moca adapters. But for some reason these deca adapters are available on ebay and amazon dirt cheap for brand new.

Jay

8. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
  9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's pretty good. Use that and an inexpensive Ethernet switch and you've saved a decent amount of money.

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Just need coaxial run that isn't being used by cable or ota

11. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    That works out well for my use because the Tivo mini doesn't need a cable or ota signal like a full DVR. It just needs Ethernet (over coax or Cat5).

Jay

12. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    [QUOTE="mdavej;10209189" on AVSForum]Thanks to user Dave Harper, I discovered a great solution for ethernet over coax which is much cheaper than MoCA. It does have caveats, but is a great fit for HTPC and extender systems.[/QUOTE] You're both welcome! :) I've been running like this for years with no issues whatsoever with minis and other networked equipment around my home on deca.

13. jayerndl

jayerndl Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Central Florida
    FYI. I just got in my 2nd DECA and hooked up several devices including a Mini to an old 5-port switch. Everything works great. I am using one of the Gen 1 DECA and one of the Gen 2 DECA. Thanks again.

Jay