1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on wireless speaker for Tivo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1 of 17
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I have the Premiere connected via HDMI to a Sony TV. I would like to purchase a wireless speaker so I can place the speaker nearer to where we are sitting in the family rom.

Is there any suggestion on a wireless speaker brand/model? Then should I connect the wireless speaker going out of the Tivo or going out of the Sony TV?

And does a wireless speaker exist that has it's own AC power adapter?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. Feb 7, 2013 #2 of 17
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the Sony has line level audio outputs that vary as you change the volume with the TV's remote, then that's the source you want, I would think.

3. Feb 7, 2013 #3 of 17
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    That would be great! Which model is that. I am Sony's website but can't seem to find that. The ones I am seeing are Bluetooth.

Please let me know. Thanks.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #4 of 17
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Most are bluetooth, for ipad, iphone,etc.

5. Feb 7, 2013 #5 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try Amazon, Best Buy and eBay. Depending on your TV model you may be able to turn off internal speakers and keep a variable audio out. Or get speakers with a remote for volume.

6. Feb 7, 2013 #6 of 17
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought you already had the Sony TV.

The point I was making is that you need a way to control the volume with the remote, because the audio outputs on the TiVo are fixed level, and the volume control on the TiVo remote is really for changing the volume on your TV.

Although if the wireless speaker set has it's own remote, you might be able to set it up to control that instead of the TV, the way you can set it up to control the volume on an A/V receiver instead of the TV.

7. Feb 7, 2013 #7 of 17
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Yes I have a Sony EX645 TV with Tivo.

I can't seem to find the right wireless speaker. The ones I see out there are all Bluetooth. Can you help me find something?

8. Feb 7, 2013 #8 of 17
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm pretty sure that there used to be wireless speaker setups with a separate transmitter with line level inputs. Maybe you need to check eBay and Craigslist for something used.

9. Feb 7, 2013 #9 of 17
    atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am looking for something new and high quality.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Try Google. Enter a search for "wireless speakers for TV" and start looking at the 27,000,000 responses.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Probably better to enter

"Wireless speakers" -"Bluetooth"

to try to at least steer the results in the right general direction.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Probably better to find a forum for the TV also. Unless there is a speaker connection on the TiVo that is hidden.:D

13. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A quick Google of the TV model number shows both fixed and variable analog audio outs.

14. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    These are more often incorporated with a home theater system. Many have wireless satellite options and connect via the optical output. Or via the return audio on the hdmi cable.

Nothing beats agl decent 5.1 (6.1/7.1) for rich audio preasence. Using the audio return on the hdmi cable your tv audio controls operate the hts level.

15. Mr. Happypants

Mr. Happypants Bal'more Hon

Jan 29, 2006
    I've tried 2-3 different wireless surround setups, but they all connect to the audio outputs on a receiver, so I don't think they'd work directly with the connections on a TV. Rockfish makes one such wireless transmitter/receiver and another is from a German company called Amphony.

I also never found one that didn't have issues with crackling, popping or interference however and finally just gave up & went to a soundbar.

Edit to add:
    Huh, the Amphony does appear to have RCA inputs on the transmitter, so it should work fine with the TV directly. The receivers are each powered amplifiers & require an outlet of their own, just fyi.

16. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Does the soundbar connect to the TV or the Tivo directly? How is the dialogue watching a movie using the Soundbar? Would it be equal/better than using an AV receiver with the center channel dialogue lift adjustment?

17. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY