1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on network connectivity for premiere upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by atomarchio, Apr 28, 2012.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I am going to my upgrade my Series 3 to a Premiere in our master bedroom.

We don't have network wired to the room so I have been using the old wireless adapter which gets a signal strength of 30 to 45% on average.

To get the best performance, do you think I should purchase Tivo's wireless N adapter?

I guess you can buy these things which plug into outlets for network connectivity?

Or should I go through the trouble of having a professional installer run a physical network line which likely won't be easy?

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    Wireless N might help a little, but I'm skeptical that it would help with the "elephant-in-the-room" issue, which is the low signal strength.

You could try one of the devices that use powerline networking--using the wiring in your house. One device plugs into a wall outlet near your router, with Ethernet cable connecting it to the router. Another one (or more than one for multiple locations!) plugs into an outlet near the device you want to connect to your network--in this case, your TiVo--which it connects to with Ethernet cable.

This won't be as fast as a complete Ethernet solution, but it's much faster than anything wireless. My main TiVo unit is near enough to the router for a direct wired connection, but the bedroom one isn't. There are other brands too, but I've had good luck with ZyXel's solution. I bought their Powerline Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit (PLA-401), which includes two units and two Ethernet cables. I've also since added an additional single unit to use where my wife usually sits with her laptop.

3. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Does the new wireless tivo n adapter improve my signal strength?

4. awsnyde

awsnyde Member

May 11, 2007
    Maryland
    As my answer indicated, my guess would be no, though I haven't done real-world testing to back that up. You might get a very small speed boost from using the newer wireless standard, but probably not enough to even do wireless transfers with that low a signal strength, much less actual streaming.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have cable TV cable already run to that room?

If so, go learn about MoCA

http://www.mocalliance.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

and MoCA adapters.

I think the new Elite already has it built in, not sure about the orginal S4s.

6. Derek Nickel

Derek Nickel TiVannosaurus Rex

Oct 7, 2003
    San...
    Does your Wireless Access Point (WAP) support wireless N? If not, then getting Tivo's wireless N adapter woin't help.

I've wired my house for phyical ethernet, however, I've used the Powerline AV apdaters from Netgear in relatives homes with good results.

7. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    802.11n has better range, assuming your router supports 802.11n. I highly recommend MoCA if you can justify the cost. I'm a FiOS customer, so half of the solution is already in place. I have one on my TiVo in the family room and it works great. I don't have to worry about any wireless problems.

Joe

8. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Yes. My router does support Wireless N. So it would be worth buying that instead of the older wireless one I have now?

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Try a wireless bridge instead of the TiVo wireless N adapter. It will cost the same or less plus allow other devices to connect to the network. Then you can also get one that might work better with a low signal strength. The ones I use on my network have no problem getting decent speeds with a signal strength in the 30's and 40's. With the weaker signal my bridges aren't as fast or faster as the wired TiVo connection(like when you have a strong signal), but they will still get throughput speeds of around 45Mb/s or 50Mb/s. At least with the testing I did in the past. But I also specifically set up four APs so I wouldn't have to worry about weak signals or over saturated Access Points.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Actually, the TiVo wireless N "adapter" IS a bridge. Note that it plugs into the Ethernet port, not the USB port, and has its own power adapter.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But it doesn't accomodate any other devices via RJ-45 jacks the way a wireless router configured as a bridge would, does it?

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have tv cable run to that room or not?

13. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Yes but I am already using the Coax cable into the Tivo. What are you suggesting?

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That with MoCA you already have the network cabling you need. It uses the same co-ax as the cable TV signal for Ethernet.

15. gt5059b

gt5059b New Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/default.aspx

Forget wireless and go powerline networking. It's just as good as a dedicated hardwire line, but without the fuss. Someone mentioned coax networking/MoCA; it probably works just as well, but I've never tried it. Also, you're limited to where you have a coax outlet and the hardware is more expensive than powerline equipment.

It's night and day, especially when dealing with multi-story homes were the signal is weak and inconsistent. In the past, I used WiFi and tried all flavors of G and N and could not maintain a constant and consistent throughput for HD video streaming.

Once I hooked up a powerline network; I was shocked at how well streaming HD video could work.

You can even have a hybrid model; have powerline adapters to each floor/area and then hook up a wireless access point to it and give you solid WiFi reception in that space. Though I still use hardline for critical things (PC, Tivo, etc).

16. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Does the powerline networking use my existing router? How would performance compare to wireless N?

17. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    While this powerline networking looks interesting, I would still need to have more outlets. I only have a single bank of 2 outlets to do everything. DVR, Tuning Adapter, etc.

18. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    I don't recommend power line. It's slow and unreliable, in my experience in two different houses. One new and one 22 years old.

Joe

19. atomarchio

atomarchio Member

Sep 24, 2006
    If I do the powerline, I would then have to get more outlets which is electrician and more fuss.

If I do the MOCA, I would have to add another COAX outlet in the wall, right?

Neither solution seems to be plug and play unless I am missing something.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes it is a bridge but it supposedly only works with the TiVo. While with a regular bridge you can connect multiple components to it.

Also with powerlines networking it can't be connected to a ups. So if the power goes out so does the network connection. I was going to try powerlines adapters a couple of years ago at my GFs house for her S3 boxes. But since the network would go down since they don't work through a ups I went with the TiVo wireless G adapters, so the network connection will stay up if there is a power outage.