1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a New DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by retrodog, Jun 20, 2013.

1. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    I've been out of the loop for a while. Sorry for the noob questions, but not sure where to look exactly.

My basic Tivo based DVR in my bedroom (HR10-250) just died about a week ago. I think it just does HD OTA. I cycled the power and the message comes up "Powering UP, Please Wait". Well the message was something like that. Then it just keeps clicking at about 1hz. So I'm guessing something finally died in it. Maybe the hard drive.

Anyway, I guess I need a replacement DVR now. My main one, in the living room, is a HR20-100. I guess I could migrate that to the bedroom and get a new one for the main living room location. Any good suggestions on what to get? I'd rather not start a new contract commitment.

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Sadly, you have no choice. Adding a new receiver will almost certainly come with a two year commitment.

If it were me, I'd go with the genie, which, apart from the commitment, could be free if you get the right CSR! The only added cost would be $3 for whole-home service and, not only would that setup allow you to record up to seven things at once (five on the HR34/44 and two on the HR20), but also watch whatever is recorded on either DVR on the other one.

The other option is to get the THR22, which has the TiVo logo and software, but does not have whole home and other features, but will cost $5/Mo more.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you want a used HR10 with larger disk that works fine, let me know. You can have it cheap and there's no new commitment. But I can recommend the Genie! I recently got an HR44 and it's great.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Agreed. Genie is the way to go.

5. retrodog

retrodog King Button Pusher

Feb 7, 2002
    At the gun...
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the Genie thing a bit more and see what I think about it.

6. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    If the hard drive is bad, replace it and keep your hr10-250 in service. If stevel's hr10-250 is cheap enough for you, you could swap out the hard drive and do a clear and delete everything and be on your way. Alternatively, if the problem is with the power supply, you could swap out the power supplies.